Don't be sheep people!

tomsafrica

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite6_1_24/10/2014_543959

Beware of scams like this, it's outrageous and dishonest. If you get pressurized into buying from any particular shop then do yourselves a favor and take your $$$ to the shop next door out of principle. It's little "arrangements" like this that turn what should be a fun experience into just another day at Walmart.:(

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite6_1_24/10/2014_543959

Beware of scams like this, it's outrageous and dishonest. If you get pressurized into buying from any particular shop then do yourselves a favor and take your $$$ to the shop next door out of principle. It's little "arrangements" like this that turn what should be a fun experience into just another day at Walmart.:(

Good piece...thanx for posting. I am sure some people will heed the word,but for the most part it will be business as usual as the herd mentality is alive and well.I see it here in the US all the time.

All these things are a fact of life, and no different in Greece than tourist spots in the rest of the world.

A polite no, then turning a deaf ear or staring vacantly into the distance does the job most times, but when you are reliant on the transportation you are kinda trapped :mad:

Reading through the piece, I was thinking "what about cruise lines? They're some of the worst offenders."

Then, toward the bottom of the piece, this:

Kathimerini managed to obtain a contract between a cruise company based in Santa Clarita, California and a souvenir shop in the Acropolis area according to which the shop would be “recommended” to cruise passengers for a fee of $50 per group.

One reason why we avoid ships' excursions, and use their hand-out maps of "recommended shops" only as a basic street map.

But van drivers, taxi drivers, tuk-tuk drivers (especially them), and others all do the same.

Counter-productive for many of us, but they clearly find the exercise worthwhile.

JB :)

This is normal practice in the tourist industry. Also happens in hotels when the concierge books a restaurant, tour or theatre ticket for you.

Being "normal practice" doesn't make it any more ethical. A concierge might recommend a restaurant and get a kick back for doing so but it isn't going to affect the price of my dessert now is it? :D - the restaurant pays the incentive not you or I.

"They are ushered into shops where products are hugely overpriced to include the commission that the guides or private drivers will get."

And

"tourists who don’t follow instructions and venture into shops that are not part of the racket are practically forced out by their “guides.”

Well I can tell you if I was on a ship's tour anywhere and they try to pull that stunt with me they'd get a swift kick in the worry beads. I can say that because I have Greek ancestry by the way :D

Tomsafrica

Then don't go on organised tours as this is what happens wherever you may be. If you think it doesn't, well, then you are wrong.

I rarely do the ship's tours unless there's a compelling reason to do so. Mostly they only compel you to spend twice what you would spend otherwise doing the exact same thing on your own!

A concierge might recommend a restaurant and get a kick back for doing so but it isn't going to affect the price of my dessert now is it? :D - the restaurant pays the incentive not you or I.

Errr, yes it can, Tom. ;)

Is that dessert (and the rest of the meal) going to be as good value there as somewhere you find for yourself?

Someone ends up paying incentives, & its not difficult to figure who.

JB :)

tomsafrica

If you don't go on organised excursions, what was the point of your original post?

Because I'm kind and I hate seeing people getting ripped off ;)

But seriously...

People go to strange cities and worry so much about how scary they might be that they end up being taken for a ride by the people they trust. How can that be fair? Just be sensible and don't believe them when they say that this is the ONLY shop where you can buy a model Zeus (even though there are 27 shops selling the same thing in the street. :rolleyes: