At Home Reception after Cruise Wedding

Is anyone doing an at home receptions or party after their cruise wedding? We have a bunch of people going with us on the cruise, but there is still a decent amount of family that will not be attending. We want to do some kind of at home party (or reception). I'm not even sure what to call it as I've seen people name it a reception and also some people name it an after party. I can't find much in the way of etiquette for this so I was wondering if anyone knew anything regarding etiquette or what you were planning on doing?

We are doing a port wedding so we can't just have non-sailing guests. We are going on the Vista out of Miami and we live in NJ/NY area so anyone going to the wedding is also going on the cruise.

Any advice or information would be a huge help! Thanks.

Are these people that you didn't invite to the wedding? If they weren't invited to the wedding, some people will be happy to celebrate with you, and others will see it as a gift grab.

Edited by 6rugrats

No it won't be any new guests. All of the people we invited to the cruise as well. Our guest list is 88 people and it's mostly family on his side and my sisters and friends as my mom passed away. Of that probably a little less than half are going. I'm lucky enough that almost all my part of the guest list is going, bitingly a handful of his extended family is going. The people not going are like most of his aunts, uncles, cousins and his one grandma. They all want us to have something close to home as well... I'm just not sure what to do for that?

Definitely not trying to be gift grabby. I'm not even having a bridal shower.

One of the reasons I chose to do a cruise wedding is so I would not have to worry with the details of a reception. My boyfriend however was like you though and wanted to have a big celebration at home too. We compromised and decided to do the wedding on embarkation day this way close family and friends not cruising had the option of still attending. We are also hoping to do live video feed of the ceremony and parts of the reception for those unable to attend.

We are wedding dj's and have seen just about everything. One of the most memorable however was a reception that was an "After Wedding Celebration", the couple got married in Vegas or so all the family and friends thought .... turns out the after wedding celebration turned into being the actual wedding. Everyone was so surprised even the dad who had no ideal he would be walking his daughter down the aisle. They had lots of people who attended wanting to celebrate with them so if this is what you want to do ... I say go for it!

Edited by angelkisses

We're going to have a get-together back home afterwards, but not a full-blown reception. Our parents will be hosting a sort of open house-style get together for us - simple food, minimal decor, really just getting together. We probably won't advertise any registries when informing friends/family of this to minimize the risk of people thinking it's a gift-grab.

We're going to have a get-together back home afterwards, but not a full-blown reception. Our parents will be hosting a sort of open house-style get together for us - simple food, minimal decor, really just getting together. We probably won't advertise any registries when informing friends/family of this to minimize the risk of people thinking it's a gift-grab.

Great ideal!

• 5 months later...

We are spreading the word so anyone who wants to come on our cruise can. Plus if we get a certain amount to join us we get perks. This is much more reasonable since we are not having any reception or using the cruise line to plan anything. Therefore, we will not incur any charges dependent on how many guests join us. Ceremony will be done by a third party in Juneau, and we will eat as a group in MDR, definitely later in the evening so it will be easier for their staff. We have asked the guests joining us on the cruise not to buy us wedding gifts; after all, a cruise is pricey. I'm sure we will end up buying the cruise guests a round or, at the very least, a group toast. When we return home, we will have a party at the local American Legion (my dad is a veteran). We will purchase food and likely a couple kegs. It will be open-house, with the video of our ceremony playing with a slide show and no dancing (that's one of many reasons we are choosing to cruise).

We decided to have an at home reception. We are keeping it simple tho. There's extended family that can't go and one of my really close friends that was going to be a bridesmaid can't go. We are doing a champagne brunch at a nice wedding hall. We aren't inviting anyone that didn't also get invited to the cruise. We have decided (with the bridal party input as well) that everyone will wear their wedding attire again as some of the family wants to get pictures with everyone dressed up. We only have 1 person in the bridal party that isn't family (well she is to me, ha!)

• 3 weeks later...