RCI vs RSSC

Pusniski

I feel I have a great rate for an Alaskan cruise along with airfare. Right now, we have reserved a caribbean cruise on RCI's Mariner of the Seas by suggestion of some friends that have cruised with them before. I know there is just no comparing these two lines. They are just completely different experiences. I would much rather spend more for better accommodations and service while my DH is just not on the same wave length as me. He looks at the expense and worries he'll feel out of place. He's just a t-shirt and blue jean kind of guy. He's also worried there won't be enough activities for our 10 year old son. Can you help me with some selling points? How are the kids club on the Seven Seas Mariner? I would imagine the dress during the day is shorts and t-shirts with sandals or tennis shoes. How is the dress in the evening? Since we're looking at an early June date, is it likely there'll be quite a few families on board?

TIA! :)

Well, I haven't been to Alaska or been on Mariner, but I have had the experience of having a husband who was reluctant to cruise because of the restrictions on dress. But you've picked a good destination to start, since the Alaska Mariner experience is "country club casual" the whole time, as I understand. Not sure about RCI, but if they do formal nights in Alaska, then that would be a good selling point for Rad.

I expect that in Alaska, even in June, it would be pants, plaid shirts and jackets more often that shorts and t-shirts, by the way. I'm sure jeans are fine for excursions, but he's going to want dockers or something like that for the dining room, especially at night.

I'm sure the cabins are no comparison between the two lines, so I would push that, check out the dimensions of each cabin and look at pictures of them. Also remind him the Mariner is an all-balcony ship, and you can book a minimal cabin and still have a nice big room with a balcony.

Let me add a few points to what Wendy said. There is a big difference between being on a 3000+ ship and a 700 passenger ship with all suites and all balconies. We did Alaska in August 2004. There are definitely more kids on the Alaskan cruise than most Rad. cruises. Regardless, Alaska is very port intensive, and I think you really will want to do excursions at each port. Rad. does these extremely well, and generally they are as reasonable (or more so) than other cruise lines, though Alaska excursions are expensive. I assume you know that wine and drinks are included on Rad. at dinner, and that sodas, bottled water, etc. are included throughout the cruise, as well as a two bottle set-up in your mini-fridge at the beginning of the cruise. In addition to being country-club casual, dining is completely open seating on Rad. We had a terrific experience. We flew into Anchorage, rented a car, did Denali, returned the car to the airport, took the Rad. train directly from the airport to the ship, took the cruise, and spent several days in Vancouver at the end. We did a mixture of independently arranged excursions and some from Rad. There is also a toursaver coupon book that may be useful. (We saved a lot for some flightseeing trips.) If you'd like more details, you can contact me at dreps@comcast.net. I also have a great agent who does give additional discounts on Rad.

---------

Eugene

We cruised Alaska on the Mariner this past June. Alaska is a rather casual cruise as you have no sea days,so no formal nights. Radisson is more casual than some of the other upscale lines with dinner being "country club casual",which means slacks and a nice shirt for men,though all the restaurants are nice enough to make those who like to dress not feel out of place. You may want to dress for the specialty restuarants,but won't be thrown out if you don't. The food and accomodations are rated as among the best in the industry. And doing Alaska you MUST have a balcony. Mariner is all suite,all balcony.

I am probably as tight-fisted as your husband,which is why I enjoy RSSC. On most cruises you have to think about money with everything you do during the week...a Coke,bottled water,wine with dinner,eating in a specialty restuarant and TIPPING. RSSC is almost all inclusive. One of the only things you pay for onboard is for alcohol at the bar. Alaska is a good place to judge the quality of your cruise line as you are in port with many other ships. Everything seemed a little nicer on our cruise.

If you check Radisson's web site www.rssc.com you should find an early June cruise with a two-for-one deal and other discounts throughout the season.

Oh, thank you so much guys. :o I did check to see that it's going to be a bit cooler in June in Alaska. I'm okay with what I call smart casual. I did some comparisons and by the time I add in extra costs, RCCS is not too far off from the suite I've booked on RCI. Maybe $1500 by the time I finish with specialty dining, liquor, sodas, water, tips, etc. That's not a lot IMO for what I'm getting. Although our airline costs are way higher in comparison to the caribbean cruise. We have to fly in upgraded accommodations since DH is rather tall and can't sit in coach that long. The tickets are expensive, but they were discounted and when I tried looking myself I couldn't come close to where the agent was.

I'm glad to hear there are more children on the June sailings. Does anyone know for sure what kind of activities they offer? It looks like games, educational and arts and crafts. I'm really hoping another family has gone and can comment on their child's experience. It's going to be hard sell for my son since he's seen the brochures on the RCI's voyager ship. :rolleyes:

I didn't get the 2 for 1 deal (shucks!), but it was discounted. I haven't even checked into the ports yet since I'm still trying to get DH to swing my way. Can't you tell, I'm chomping at the bit to book this cruise? :D

Pusniski, Although I'm not familiar with the children's program on the Alaskan cruises, I have met the lady who is in charge of this during the Alaska months (I met her on the Voyager during the winter months on the World Cruise). Lisa is a doll, one of the nicest, most patient ladies ever. I'm sure she would do a great creative job with the children's program.

• 2 weeks later...

Pusniski,

You already have some great advice from previous posters. We went on the Mariner to Alaska in late June of 2004. It was fantastic! Just want to mention, they had a heat wave that year. It was over 80 in the ports, so make sure you take a good mix of clothes along, including short sleeve tops and shorts for the daytime!

I would think you, your hubby and son will be so busy doing all the port activities, that there will barely be any time left for your son to bother with the kid's club. The list of activities is huge. I didn't realize how active this cruise was going to be!

There were about 25-30 kids - many of them young teens - on our cruise. This cruise is much more family oriented than some of Radisson's other cruises. Go for it! Hope you have fun!

Ginny

Archived