Snorkeling at Honeymoon Bay St. John or Saphire Beach St. Thomas

fishman620

We are on a cruise next April and one of the excursions that we can choose out of St. Thomas is going to St. John with a stop to beach/snorkel at Honeymoon Bay. Just wondering how the snorkeling was at Honeymoon Bay, the other excursion we were interested in was snorkeling at Saphire Beach in St. Thomas. Just wondering, if it is worth the extra money to go to St. John for snorkeling. Thanks for any insight.

We are on a cruise next April and one of the excursions that we can choose out of St. Thomas is going to St. John with a stop to beach/snorkel at Honeymoon Bay. Just wondering how the snorkeling was at Honeymoon Bay, the other excursion we were interested in was snorkeling at Saphire Beach in St. Thomas. Just wondering, if it is worth the extra money to go to St. John for snorkeling. Thanks for any insight.

:) I did a snorkeling excursion some years ago in St. John and it was great. Over 90% of St. John is a national park. I have heard that Sapphire Beach is nice but I think that you would enjoy St. John more. Have fun. Be safe.

Gosh, another tough question as I love both, or maybe I am just easy to please and happy with everything :)

Either way if I had just one day on a cruise ship I would probably stay on St Thomas and go with Sapphire. Mainly because you would have more total beach/relaxation time and since the dive shop rental place reopened, along with the food runners, you would have everything you need.

I am not sure of the details of each excursion, but I would not even use one for Sapphire and just jump in a taxi and either bring your own snorkel gear or rent some from the dive shop.

They are both beautiful, although I personally have had better luck at Sapphire for snorkeling. Plus as I mentioned you could get there cheap and quick by just taking a taxi. Whatever you decide you will definitely love it!

Our family just went to Sapphire Beach on July 29, 2014. My teens thought the snorkeling there was not good. Maybe, they didn't know where to go. The beach is gorgeous and we had a great time. I personally wouldn't leave the island to go to St. John. I did that 25 years ago and went to Trunk Bay (I think!). It reminded me of a planes, trains and automobile ride to get to Trunk Bay. With 3 teens, it is just easier (and cheaper) for us to get a cab and go to a beach.

We found the snorkeling at Sapphire to be really good if you go way to the right towards the point. Nearer to shore the coral was mostly dead, so there weren't as many fish. It does have a beautiful view of outer islands there.

Haven't been to Honeymoon Bay, just to Trunk and Hawksnest. Both were fantastic, but it does take up quite a bit of time getting to and from St. John.

We found the snorkeling at Sapphire to be really good if you go way to the right towards the point. Nearer to shore the coral was mostly dead, so there weren't as many fish. It does have a beautiful view of outer islands there.

Haven't been to Honeymoon Bay, just to Trunk and Hawksnest. Both were fantastic, but it does take up quite a bit of time getting to and from St. John.

Dead on! We were there on the 29th as well and the coral and grass close to the beach is dead and little to no sea life, but if you go to the right out to the point its amazing out there and it's like a mini grand canyon where the rock/coral are in the forms of the grand canyon (just small)!

You can also go all the way out to the round Island (if you are a good swimmer), the kid at the dive shop called shark Island and said its amazing just have to keep an eye out for sharks.

We would have gone out there just ran out to time...

I'll go back there the next time we cruise to STT.