Cruise/Air Providence to San Juan

teachergirl

Anyone use RCCI's cruise air from Providence to San Juan for AOS cruise? We're going in February and I'm wondering what time they usually send you out. I'd buy my own the day before, but it's school vacation and prices are outrageous. Thanks.

Please read the sticky at the top of the forum....it will give you information on how cruiseline air works. What other people have received, both in the past and even for your own cruise, has little if any bearing on what will come your way.

My husband just called RCL today to find out about our air arrangements for the cruise. We are on the AOS in October and are flying out of Providence. They have us on a 6am Delta flight out of Providence to Atlanta and then Atlanta to San Juan arriving at like 1:45 on the same day as the cruise. Cruise leaves at 8pm. Don't know if that helps you out any, but at least it gives you an idea from Providence.

My husband just called RCL today to find out about our air arrangements for the cruise. We are on the AOS in October and are flying out of Providence. They have us on a 6am Delta flight out of Providence to Atlanta and then Atlanta to San Juan arriving at like 1:45 on the same day as the cruise. Cruise leaves at 8pm. Don't know if that helps you out any, but at least it gives you an idea from Providence.

I don't mean to be contrary, but what you got has NO relation to what others may get. Especially during February, with the President's Week holiday-packed planes, overbooking and winter weather.

To the OP,

You may get ANY of the Big 6 legacy airlines (no Jet Blue, no SW, etc), you may get ANY times (plan on your first flight leaving VERY early) and you may get ANY connections (including those that send you FAR west before you go East and South). There are ABSOLUTELY NO guarantees with cruise air.

If at all possible, book your own air, fly a day early and enjoy your vacation.

I don't mean to be contrary, but what you got has NO relation to what others may get. Especially during February, with the President's Week holiday-packed planes, overbooking and winter weather.

I realize that every sailing is different. Original OP asked if anyone had any ideas what time they fly you out. Obviously sailing in February is different than sailing in October. They might fly out the day before, they might not. I just told OP what we got for our cruise leaving from the same airport.

You may get ANY of the Big 6 legacy airlines (no Jet Blue, no SW, etc), you may get ANY times (plan on your first flight leaving VERY early) and you may get ANY connections (including those that send you FAR west before you go East and South). There are ABSOLUTELY NO guarantees with cruise air.

Actually, there IS something pretty close to a guarantee....you'll get flights/carriers/routings/times that you wouldn't have picked on your own as your first (or even tenth) choice. Unless there is a compelling reason to buy air from the cruise line, book it yourself.

Of course, someone will write how wonderful their cruiseline air experience was.....in fact, I had a decent cruiseline air experience myself. But that was into Malaga for a TATL crossing - and the option for my own booking was over $1200 more per person (circa 1999). That was a compelling reason.

Misterbud, thanks for the info we're just looking for general ideas for when they fly. Believe me, I looked for our own air and could not do as well on our own - President's week... What did they give you for return flights (we're teachers and will have school the next day...) Thanks!

Misterbud, thanks for the info we're just looking for general ideas for when they fly. Believe me, I looked for our own air and could not do as well on our own - President's week... What did they give you for return flights (we're teachers and will have school the next day...) Thanks!

No problem. I figured you wanted a general idea from Providence. We also got too good of a deal through rcl for the airfare to pass it up ($224 where others didn't have it for less than $400 at the time, now it's even higher. It was only for the D2 balcony cabin though for some reason that it was so cheap) Anyway, they have us leaving san juan at 2:45pm arriving in atlanta at 5:50pm with a 4 hour layover. Leave atlanta at 9:30pm arrive in Providence at 11:51pm. Unfortunately very late. I have to go to work the next day too. Luckily we only live 15 minutes from the airport. It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't have us waiting in Atlanta for 4 hours, but worse case for me, is I just take Monday off. Wasn't planning on it, but will if I need to. If you do book airfare through RCL you can also do Custom Air for a nominal fee and I believe you can choose your flight times. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) We didn't do custom air arrangements so not too sure as to the specifics of how it works. But maybe you can get better flight times coming back. Anyway, we might try to get on an earlier flight coming back if one is available once we get to Atlanta by just checking with delta. We'll see.

Anyway, we might try to get on an earlier flight coming back if one is available once we get to Atlanta by just checking with delta. We'll see.

I would suggest you go to THIS LINK and read the DL policies on flight changes, including same-day changes. There are different fees, depending on when you make your flight change request, with the lowest fee being $50 (for most restricted tickets). Also, you may have tickets that are restricted to certain routings or flights and are ineligible for a reroute. Don't just assume that DL will let you make a change by "just checking with delta". If you do it wrong, you might be dinged for a big change fee/fare update.

Also, don't think you can just standby for another flight. DL has eliminated same-day standby except for their Platinum and Gold Medallion flyers. All others have to go the confirmed route mentioned in the above link. See THIS LINK for more info on standby restrictions.

Archived