Camera Choices for Cruise

Hello!

I'm Graham. I'm new to the forum and am new to cruising. Our family will take our first cruise, a Disney Cruise, at the end of this year. It's a 3 night Bahamian Cruise, between Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Castaway Cay. Prior to the cruise, we'll be spending some time at Walt Disney World, a place we've visited many times.

I'm already debating which camera gear to bring, and my notion is to go light. In part I'm just a bit concerned with having to track camera gear all of the time, and so I'd rather simply enjoy the trip. I read of a cruise where someone had camera gear stolen from them. While my equipment is insured, I don't care to have to collect. Also, I don't mind going minimalist; that makes it fun sometimes!

My current thought is to bring the Canon G16 as my main camera, and the Canon ELPH 330 as a backup. For accessories, I'm thinking about bringing the 430EX Speedlite, wired remote shutter release (hmmm, Canon or Pearstone (which would allow for doing time-lapse)), and an Induro Adventure series tripod.

The G16 has proven itself to me regarding low light capability (good to ISO 6400). It can also do anything else I would like it to do, including going fully manual on settings and focus. With the tripod and remote shutter release, fireworks will be easy. The ELPH is just a hot little camera that can go anywhere. Even it is good to ISO 3200, so in a pinch it can do most anything I want. While it can't shoot raw and can't go fully manual, there are still some settings I can adjust.

As this is a combined trip, whatever I bring will need to work for WDW too. This will certainly cover it. For the cruise, I'll want daytime pictures, as well as some night time images inside and on the deck.

Below are two photos from the aforementioned cameras. The NY photo was handheld at ISO 3200.

Thoughts? Is this too minimalist? This is a simple first cruise, not an Alaskan cruise or one that is going to many exotic locations. I don't want to miss anything, but I also don't care to go overboard (not intended).

Thanks for your thoughts!

NYC Skyline. Canon G16.

p463409815-4.jpg

Chinatown, Washington, DC. Canon ELPH 330.

p460364548-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds good, but for me I just can't head out without the 5D Mk II or 5D Mk III. I used to also carry a G10, but rarely used it, so actually donated it our daughter-in-law. The G10had most of the features of similar age SLR's, but I found the menu driven features rather challenging.

Personally, if I had to travel light I would take the 5D MkIII, my 24 - 105 f/4 lens, the 580EX Speedlight and a tripod.

Thank you! I know what you mean though. Most times the 5DM3 and the 24-105 f/4 are what I use. I also have a couple tripods, 580EX IIs, and another lens or two. ;) My concern is that I just don't want to miss the experience of our first cruise because I'm trying to take the Ideal Photo.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again!

We've cruised many times on Disney, as well as on other lines. I think your intended equipment are very good choices.

Some thoughts about taking photos on a Disney cruise:

• There will be many photo ops with Disney characters -- many more than in the parks. Cast members will be happy to take photos with your camera, so an easy to use camera is ideal.

• Photography and video are not allowed at the shows in the main theatre.

• The fireworks will be on the starboard side.

Woody