Poipu Beach Surfing - INFO for you

resstation

Everything I read about the Poipu beach surfing lessons was wrong. Let me clear things up for you. Although the ticket you will receive says that they will have pictures available for you to purchase, they no longer do this. And although, even if you call, they will tell you there is nowhere to put your personal belongings when you are out surfing - You CAN bring your personal items as the shuttle van from the ship will be locked for you and the driver stays there. Your things will be safe. Unfortunately, I didn't know any of this and now we have no pictures of my husband and son's surfing lesson because they did not bring their cameras or phones. :(

So this was a ship excursion? You might want to post this info in a review on the excursion. I'd let the excursion desk know you were plenty unhappy with the misinformation about the availability of pictures.

But even had you known you could leave personal items on the bus ( I've never done an excursion where this was not the case ), the items would be on the bus and not on the beach, so if you take them with you to the beach for photos, then you have the situation of what to do with them during the lesson, unless you take turns with the camera or run back and forth to the bus, right?

So this was a ship excursion? You might want to post this info in a review on the excursion. I'd let the excursion desk know you were plenty unhappy with the misinformation about the availability of pictures.

But even had you known you could leave personal items on the bus ( I've never done an excursion where this was not the case ), the items would be on the bus and not on the beach, so if you take them with you to the beach for photos, then you have the situation of what to do with them during the lesson, unless you take turns with the camera or run back and forth to the bus, right?

My husband would have definitely taken a photo of our son learning to surf, at the very least - and would have had his phone to text me when they were boarding the ship so I could meet up with them. I would have gone just to take pictures but that isn't permitted unless you purchase a full price excursion ticket (makes sense since it is taking up a spot on the bus).

My husband would have definitely taken a photo of our son learning to surf, at the very least - and would have had his phone to text me when they were boarding the ship so I could meet up with them. I would have gone just to take pictures but that isn't permitted unless you purchase a full price excursion ticket (makes sense since it is taking up a spot on the bus).

This is a perfect example of why your own rental car is often a good idea. No expensive excursion necessary. You simply drive to Poipu and book your own surf lesson on the beach or pre reserve it if necessary, maybe with the same company the ship uses. There is very little in Hawaii that needs an excursion.

We drove to Waimea Canyon and went to Poipu as well on the same day for the cost of a one day rental. Someone on our cruise booked an excursion to Waimea Canyon and there was an accident on one of the two roads into the Canyon and the road was closed. Their excursion returned to the ship and they were disappointed they missed seeing this sight. When we reached the road in our rental car, the officer stationed at the road block advised us to backtrack a few miles and take the alternate road into the Canyon. We did not miss seeing the canyon.

Not saying this to be critical of the OP, but for the benefit of others planning their trips. I understand there are reasons why people feel excursions are the best option at times. I book them too, but no one should automatically assume that an excursion is the best option.

This is a perfect example of why your own rental car is often a good idea. No expensive excursion necessary. You simply drive to Poipu and book your own surf lesson on the beach or pre reserve it if necessary, maybe with the same company the ship uses. There is very little in Hawaii that needs an excursion.

We drove to Waimea Canyon and went to Poipu as well on the same day for the cost of a one day rental. Someone on our cruise booked an excursion to Waimea Canyon and there was an accident on one of the two roads into the Canyon and the road was closed. Their excursion returned to the ship and they were disappointed they missed seeing this sight. When we reached the road in our rental car, the officer stationed at the road block advised us to backtrack a few miles and take the alternate road into the Canyon. We did not miss seeing the canyon.

Not saying this to be critical of the OP, but for the benefit of others planning their trips. I understand there are reasons why people feel excursions are the best option at times. I book them too, but no one should automatically assume that an excursion is the best option.

We are ALWAYS driving at home. When we are on vacation we rarely rent a car. Vacations are also when we choose to splurge. Backwards for some but we love it.

We are ALWAYS driving at home. When we are on vacation we rarely rent a car. Vacations are also when we choose to splurge. Backwards for some but we love it.

that's one of my hubby's rules for cruises: no renting of cars. but then we've been on a land trip to Hawaii (Honolulu & Kauai) for our honeymoon so we did rent a car for our few days on Kauai then. for our three cruises to Hawaii on Princess, two times in Kauai we beached it (and took a shuttle into Lihue) and did the wonderful Movies & waterfalls tour the third time.

A "splurge" is putting up hard earned $$ to book an unforgettable helicopter tour in Kauai. Or booking a $$ "private" excursion like the Road to Hana including the backside of Haleakala, making a complete circle and allowing you to stop when and where you like. To me, spending perhaps $250 for a family of 4 to see Iao Needle ( you simply drive up and park and walk a short self guided trail ) when your 30 minutes there would cost about $3 of your 8 hour rental car $ is simply a waste of $247 better spent elsewhere. 30 min there, and then on your way to see and do any number of other things which will probably cost you $0.

I think people are conditioned to think that tours are necessary because of their travel in other parts of the world where for many reasons this is the case. It is not true in Hawaii. You are in the US. You can easily drive all over on well maintained roads. It is safe. You can safely and easily book things like snorkel tours independently as part of a full day of touring for far less $ than on a ship tour. Just something to think about for those who will be coming to Hawaii for the first time.

Edited by punkincc