Kauai affordable deep sea fishing options?

mikeerdas

Wife and I are heading to Kauai in late September and taking my in-laws along as a Thank You gift (for being the best in-laws a guy could ever ask for, truly). They've never been to Hawaii and are excited to go--they thought they'd likely never get there in their lifetimes.

We're frugal travelers--only way of taking all four of us from NC to Kauai was miles for flights and points for hotels. We'll be staying in Southern, Kauai at the Popui Beach area (split between the Wyndham Koloa and Grand Hyatt). This will be 6 night land trip for us--no cruise.

I asked my Father-in-law if there were any special activities he'd like to do and he said deep sea fishing. That day, my wife and mother-in-law may head out and do something on their own.

While I don't fish (no interest), I want my father-in-law to have a great time. This will be His time--time he well deserves. Some questions:

1) Is there "good" deep sea fishing off Kauai and why (what makes it special vs., say, off the coast of Florida?)? And if so, where? Anyhing off or near the coast of Popui? Princeville? etc? Where is it best?

If it's nothing special I may ask if my Father-in-law wants to golf in Kauai. I don't like golf either, unfortunately, but he loves it. And golfing in Hawaii seems like one of those special things a person might choose to do. Wanted to pitch one activity vs. the other if the fishing isn't spectacular. So, would also like to know what golf courses would be stunning and how much one might pay? I'd mentioned golfing briefly as a possibility--he knows I don't golf and don't have the coordination for it--and said maybe we could do a 9 hole vs. an 18 hole, I think (all Greek to me).

2) How much should one expect to pay to do deep sea fishing in Kauai? Hoping for lower end of cost, without short-changing my father-in-law on a great experience.

3) What deep sea fishing tour operators on Kauai are reputable, reliable, and nice to deal with?

4) Is there any way I could combine a deep sea fishing excursion with something else and making it a two-fer. Like seeing the Na Pali coast while also deep sea fishing? Or deep sea fishing plus snorkeling?

Thinking combining deep sea fishing with views of the Na Pali coast would kill two birds with one stone--and be easier on the wallet. Wife and I have cruised past the Na Pali Coast on the former NCL Pride of Hawaii back in 2006, with a window seat in one of the MDRs. Stunning experience.

On one of our days in Hawaii, I've arranged Hawaiian airlines flights from Kauai and a car rental so I could take my in-laws to the Big Island and see Volcano National Park. Haven't decided yet if we would splurge on a helicopter tour over the Kilauea--if we did, that would likely bust our excursion budget for our time on Kauai.

Sorry for the long post. The trip will be here before my wife and I know it, and I promised her I'd check-in with folks on Cruise Critic about deep sea fishing options. Neither my wife or mother-in-law are interested in fishing either; but my mother-in-law really ought to see the Na Pali Coast from the sea. Wife wouldn't care, as again, we've had spectacular views of it in the past.

If you don't see an answer here, I would post these questions on Trip Advisor. I always find TA to be a good source. Also, you might contact the concierge of the hotel you will be staying at. Hope you find a good fishing trip and combine it with a nice view of the Na Pali coast. What a fun trip for you and your in-laws. Cherie

I think you are going to have to research this one a bit on your own.

I googled Kauai Deep Sea Fishing which brought up a long list of options including a link to "Trip Advisor, Top Tips Before You Go, 199 reviews, articles and 209 photos".

The tour provider at the top of the page indicated he did both private and shared trips.

If you don't find one which goes off the north shore to also provide a look at Na Pali, you might consider spending a day there for the whole group to check out Princeville and Hanalie Bay and town. There are catamoran tours from there which go up along the Na Pali and get you much closer than the cruise ship. It is a much different perspective, even if you have seen it at a distance on the POA. And I believe there are probably some good golf courses. Maybe combine a golf and Na Pali day.

I think you are going to have to research this one a bit on your own.

I googled Kauai Deep Sea Fishing which brought up a long list of options including a link to "Trip Advisor, Top Tips Before You Go, 199 reviews, articles and 209 photos".

The tour provider at the top of the page indicated he did both private and shared trips.

If you don't find one which goes off the north shore to also provide a look at Na Pali, you might consider spending a day there for the whole group to check out Princeville and Hanalie Bay and town. There are catamoran tours from there which go up along the Na Pali and get you much closer than the cruise ship. It is a much different perspective, even if you have seen it at a distance on the POA. And I believe there are probably some good golf courses. Maybe combine a golf and Na Pali day.

Thanks Cherie and Brenda. Wanted to try CruiseCritic first, as you gals and guys are typically the best! :-)

Checking in to see if this happens to capture anyone's attention. I've found two deep sea fishing operations from trip advisor, one near the airport and one near Koloa. Haven't looked for North Shore yet. Also haven't had great luck posting to Trip Advisor before, but I'll continue to check reviews there.

You might also do a google search for a fishing charter out of Kapaa. We stay near Kapaa each winter and have done a charter with a local captain out of the marina near Kapaa. I'm sorry but cannot remember the name of the boat or the captain's name.

The ahi, though, made for a great evening meal.

• 2 weeks later...
You might also do a google search for a fishing charter out of Kapaa. We stay near Kapaa each winter and have done a charter with a local captain out of the marina near Kapaa. I'm sorry but cannot remember the name of the boat or the captain's name.

The ahi, though, made for a great evening meal.

Thanks PNW.

• 2 weeks later...