Food & Beverage

So it has been several years since my hubby & I have cruised so I know things have changed...1st cruise without kids...for the money best food?...we enjoy the MDR & trying new foods...also which cruise line has best beverage plans &/or beverage policies?

The answers are very subjective. I guess the best food would be on the premium lines, but you will pay for it.

As to beverage plans, they value depends on what you drink and how much you drink. For some these plans are a great deal, but for others they are a waste of money. I am not sure there is enough difference in these plans on the mainstream lines to worry about "best"

We have been on 3 cruises:

Carnival 2012 & 2016 with kids & Celebrity 2015 no kids. We enjoyed all of them. We ate in the MDR for all of our dinners. I thought the food was excellent & very comparable on all. I thought the buffet was better, quality & more choices on Celebrity. I think we got the best deal on Celebrity, we got $300 onboard credit, the drink package included & our gratuities paid for. The drink package was awesome & so we're the drink. They kept them coming & they were good drinks! I heard that Carnival never gives you the drink package. I was very disappointed in the drinks on Carnival. They were very weak & limited wait staff. If I am paying $10 for a drink, I want to taste some alcohol in it. Now, Carnival was great for the kids. I am looking forward to my next Celebrity cruise. I hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Celebrity might be a good cruise line for you. They often offer promotions that include the beverage package. Also, the food is spectacular on Celebrity. The other one you might enjoy is Princess. The food is delicious on there too, but I am not familiar with their beverage packages.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the opportunity to get the drink package on Celebrity, go for it. Even if you are not a big alcohol drinker, it will end up being a better deal than the grats or obc. A glass of wine or two with dinner, the coffee at cafe all baccio and bottled water by the pool add up quick.

I've cruised both with and witthout an alcoholic beverage package and, until I tried it, I never thought I would drink enough to make it worthwhile. Now, that is a perk I look for. In fact, I find it worthwhile to upgrade to a premium package for greater options (particularly if you are getting obc from your TA or from the booking.)

If you have the opportunity to get the drink package on Celebrity, go for it. Even if you are not a big alcohol drinker, it will end up being a better deal than the grats or obc. A glass of wine or two with dinner, the coffee at cafe al bacio and bottled water by the pool add up quick.

I've cruised both with and witthout an alcoholic beverage package and, until I tried it, I never thought I would drink enough to make it worthwhile. Now, that is a perk I look for. In fact, I find it worthwhile to upgrade to a premium package for greater options (particularly if you are getting obc from your TA or from the booking.)