Juneau- Interesting Places

ckb148

My fiancé and I are getting married while in port in Juneau in May. We are having a photographer do a "walkabout" with us while in port after the ceremony. He is taking us to various places in Juneau, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for must-do photo ops? He suggested the mine ruins/beach, Mendenhall, the tram. Any other ruins/historic buildings? (We love old building ruins). Thanks in advance!

The Russian church isn't a ruin, thankfully, but it's certainly historic.

The wall of skis over on Douglas is a decent photo-op -

20100708_7s.JPG

Oh and congratulations!

Edited by Gardyloo

I'm not intimately familiar with the old mines and ruins anymore. I haven't spent much time around those since I was young.

In either case, most of the beautiful pictures in Juneau are going to be outdoors and will rely on good weather for nice views.

As another posters stated, my first thought was the Shrine of St. Therese. That area has it all. It has respectable wooded backgrounds, water backgrounds, and then a nice little church. If I were taking my wife up there for wedding pictures, I would pencil this in as my first choice. I say this not because it is the greatest view in town, but it has the church area which I find beautiful and if the weather is bad, it is an indoor place to take some pictures. I'm not sure about photography restrictions there. I'm fairly certain that the Shrine is maintained by the Catholic Diocese of Juneau. I would give them a call to ask about any potential permitting and such.

The tram will offer some nice views, but there is one that I would try to do if it is a nice clear day. Up the trail from the tram is a stop called Father Brown's Cross. It offers a nice view of Gastineau Channel and the city in a alpine setting (not sure of the proper term...sub-alpine maybe?). Google Father Browns Cross Juneau and you'll find plenty of pictures to get an idea.

Sandy Beach over in Douglas could offer a nice water setting. The real name ss Savikko Park I think, but I've never heard anyone call it that. It is the on sand beach in Juneau. There is an old ruin type building on the beach (I don't recall what it was to be honest). It also offers some grassy areas, wooded treelines, and driftwood logs to work with to. There is a boat harbor right there as well if that is something you might want to work with to.

There is a pull-off outside of "The Valley" area of Juneau near Industrial Blvd and the Glacier Highway. When the fireweed is blooming and if it is a clear day, it offers a beautiful backdrop for a photo with a field of wild flowers and the Mendenhall Glacier in the distance. Here is a link to the view from that area:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1476379_10201542011206787_738977664_n.jpg

The Mendenhall glacier also offers some beautiful photo ops. There are the obvious ones around the visitor's center and the Nugget Falls. Just off the Steep Creek trail can offer some nice wilderness type photos without straying more than 10 yards off the path.