Ocho Rios suggestions with 2 kids

DKNE

We have 2 kids 9 & 11 and wondering suggestions on areas to see in Ocho Rios. Everyone we know is telling us to go to Dunns River Falls. I am more skeptical for me because I have a bad knee and afraid to pop it out while doing the falls hike.

Any suggestions would be grateful on what to do and see. And a suggestion for a nice beach. Ideally we would like to tour abit of some of the highlights and then sit at a nice beach for a few hours before boarding back on the ship.

Thanks mon ! :D

Blue Hole or Mystic Mountain might interest you. Fun for kids and adults. No GREAT beaches around Ocho Rios, but there is one be public beach right in town. Margaritaville at Island Village Shopping Center right next to the pier has a small beach if you want a little beach time after a tour.

You could also do a "resort for a day" and spend a day at an all-inlcusive resort, but in my opinion, that's no way to see an island. Get out and explore. From Ocho Rios it's best to do an excursion or hire a driver for the day to take you where you want to go.

I would recommend Mystic Mountain Rain forest Adventure. This trip starts with the chair lift up the mountain. The sky lift ride through the rainforest was wonderful! It was so beautiful & relaxing. The water slide & infinity pool were fun.

Awesome staff! Zip line was great! Bobsled was fun, but a very short ride. The food is fantastic at the rainforest restaurant.

Reggae Beach is beautiful and serene. It's out of town a bit but you can get a cab ride there easy. Perfect for relaxing and enjoying a good book. Great place for collecting shells. Good food at the beach bar.

Thanks everyone. Will look into these suggestions !!

Any other ideas ? Would the kids like that restaurant that everyone is talking about and must go to ? They are kinda picky eatters, don't like spices. Would there be something there for them ? Or is it purely Jamaican food ?

Thanks everyone. Will look into these suggestions !!

Any other ideas ? Would the kids like that restaurant that everyone is talking about and must go to ? They are kinda picky eatters, don't like spices. Would there be something there for them ? Or is it purely Jamaican food ?

Are you talking about Schotchies? It's mostly jerk and all Jamaican food. If they are very picky eaters.....they probably won't like it.

The kids do like curry goat and oxtail. (their grandfather is Jamaican - hubby is part Jamaican, so they've sampled these foods many times.)

Never been to Jamaica, can't wait to show them their heritage !!

• 1 month later...
We have 2 kids 9 & 11 and wondering suggestions on areas to see in Ocho Rios. Everyone we know is telling us to go to Dunns River Falls. I am more skeptical for me because I have a bad knee and afraid to pop it out while doing the falls hike.

Any suggestions would be grateful on what to do and see. And a suggestion for a nice beach. Ideally we would like to tour abit of some of the highlights and then sit at a nice beach for a few hours before boarding back on the ship.

Thanks mon ! :D

I had a total knee replacement in Jan. I went to dr. this week and told him we was going on cruise to Ocho Rios, he said stay away from Dunns Falls with my knee. SO I would def. pass that up at least for you..

How much was your tour? Pictures? Did you feel safe booking tour outside cruise?

We have booked with dijamaicanflava.com twice and are booked with greatvibetours dot com for our cruise in 3 weeks. We plan to visit the Blue hole, lunch, shopping and island tour. We hired the driver for the day - $40 per person. The shuttle is for our family of 9 people. The Blue Hole charges $10 pp for entrance fee, I believe.

Our first cruise ever, we booked thorugh the cruise line. 25 years later and looking back, that was the only time we booked through the cruise line. :-) Just be smart in your travels.

have fun!

I had a total knee replacement in Jan. I went to dr. this week and told him we was going on cruise to Ocho Rios, he said stay away from Dunns Falls with my knee. SO I would def. pass that up at least for you..

Thanks for the heads up for Dunns Falls. I actually get my MRI results on Monday !

Blue Hole, sounds like a bit of a hilly rocky climb....is it easier then Dunns River ?

I know I won't need full knee surgery, but I also know there are bone chips and fluid in my knee. So I need to find out why I can't bend, knee, squat, or sit/stand for long periods of time without it aching. Getting closer to the cruise date, really don't want surgery prior.

So just staying more so on the pre-caution side.

I already popped out my other knee on a cruise this Jan will be 6 years ago, did it on Blue Monkey Beach in Barbados. Had 9 months of physio, I had a mensicus tear, acl/mcl stretches. No surgery it healed through therapy, but I am always cautious with my knees now.

Thanks for the tips :)