Naples to Sorrento by Boat: Need Advice on Times

sailawaybellaluna

Hi all,

So, we will be in Naples next month, and I was looking at http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe to check out the timetables and book our tickets, and I'm torn!

We are in port from 7am - 7pm on a Monday.

The journey says it takes 45 minutes. We're planning to take the 9am from the Molo Beverello pier. My question is this: I can't decide whether taking the 4:25pm boat back from Sorrento would be cutting it too close. Are these boats reliable? Run on time? If we choose that departure time, we'd arrive back in Naples at 5:10pm, and all aboard will be at 6:30pm.

Alternatively, we can take the 2pm back, arriving in Naples at 2:45pm. That'd give us a little over 4 hours to explore Sorrrento, and we'd have a couple of hours in Naples at the end of the day.

What would you do? Thanks!

We would (and did) take the 1400 ferry return. Sorrento is not nearly as interesting for an entire day as Naples, so that 4 hours is more than enough. If you return at 1445, you'll still have time to visit something interesting in Naples. Besides, many shops in Sorrento close down in the afternoon for siesta.

We would (and did) take the 1400 ferry return. Sorrento is not nearly as interesting for an entire day as Naples, so that 4 hours is more than enough. If you return at 1445, you'll still have time to visit something interesting in Naples. Besides, many shops in Sorrento close down in the afternoon for siesta.

I was thinking much the same.

Ferry to Sorrento at 9am makes sense, though if your ship is in an overflow berth (near the car ferries) you'll probably need a 15 minute walk to the hi-speed ferries alongside the cruise terminal, because the bus shuttle may not be operating early enough. You'll need 10 - 15 minutes to negotiate the lines at the ferry ticket booths, though our experience is that the lines for the Sorrento ferry are short - most folk head for Capri.

I don't know whether there's more than the one ferry back after 2pm or whether they book-out, so can't comment on the risk of taking the 4.25.

But although Sorrento is very pleasant there's not a lot to interest you. And yes, many of the shops take an afternoon siesta. Even four hours might bore you.

Can I suggest either the 2pm & check out Naples' archaeological museum or the shopping area, though I rate Naples itself as scruffy & downbeat (personal opinion ;)). Or take the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento. Half-hourly service to Naples, including stops at Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi station) and Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi station). If take the train from Sorrento quite early (say, around noon) you should have enough time for a worthwhile look round Pompeii, if you dally in Sorrento perhaps check out Herculaneum, which is much more compact - and more shady for the afternoon heat.

JB :)

Thank you guys for your feedback on Sorrento! Okay, it's affirmed that the 2pm is probably best for us. Especially since we have two little ones who may be burned out after already being in Europe for two weeks at that point...

Is Sorrento really not worth it? I'll tell you why I chose it originally: 1) we're pretty laid back travelers and like to wander through quieter streets with ambiance versus popular areas with famous hotels/resorts, etc. 2) I felt more confident traveling there with the entire family knowing that if something happened with the ferry service, we can easily grab the train or taxi back to Naples and wouldn't miss our ship. 3) I thought Capri might be super packed in late June, but maybe I'm wrong?

I appreciate all the input.

I can see where you're coming from.

Yes, Capri is likely to be very busy and touristy.

Sorrento is unexciting but very pleasant - as is the ferry trip across the Bay of Naples. Good for the laid-back day that you're looking for, and IMHO infinitely better than staying on the ship.

No need for pre-booking anything, so mebbe research the options now & make your mind up where to go when you arrive in Naples, depending on energy levels, mood, weather, etc.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull