great stirrup private island

luv2gamble

• 2 weeks later...

GSC is indeed open as of 11/20! Reports are that the hurricane damage has been fully cleaned up. However there is still heavy construction for the island upgrades that are being unveiled next year, so some areas like the Lagoon, are closed. The main beach and buffet are definitely open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yes...there will be a BBQ lunch (brought from the ship), and your drink package will work on the island...but not for the drinks in the souvenir cups....you may have to go to a bar to get a drink NOT in those fancy cups.

Thank you for the info

Seems to be a large number of cruises unable to visit in the last year or so because of waves, wind, etc. I believe there was even one instance of a power outage. Real reasons or otherwise, and if you don't stop what do they do in exchange? I know all about the contract saying they don't have to do anything, but please don't tell me it's the old $25 bucks per passenger OBC. Since the stop is at the end of the cruise, not much time to use it, and I'm sure it's probably cheaper than running operations on the island for the day for the cruiseline. Will NCL at least stop in Nassau on an E. Carib run, instead ?(not really a fair trade in my book, but better than nothing).

FWIW, We just got off the Breakaway on Sunday and our cruise did the GSC stop. The winds picked up midday so our afternoon kayak excursion as well as the parasailing one were cancelled. Otherwise, the weather, beach and water were great, despite being a bit rocky at the waters edge. This was the only time on the cruise when I got to do any proper swimming so despite no kayaking, we were happy with this port stop.

For those who aren't familiar with GSC, there are clamshells available at the first beach, near the vendors and the tender dock.

We had a slight SNAFU as someone on staff stationed near the excursions tent had informed us that the clamshell area was further down the beach, and so another staff member ended up pushing one of our party who is older and has mobility issues in a beach wheelchair all the way to the far end of the island, away from all the food and entertainment. The other senior in our party had to walk the entire way and it was a long hike for her. I was livid and asked to speak to a manager after being told that clamshells should've been available at the first beach. We got off the tender just after eleven am so it wasn't as if the beaches were packed at that point. A manager arrived finally and straightened everything out, giving the seniors in our group a lift back to the first beach on their little utility vehicle and an extra clamshell for our trouble.

Great info BabysBday, thanks! Hope waves/wind cooperate for us!:)

Fingers crossed! Be sure to book your clamshell as soon as you get on ship, and the parasailing excusrsion as soon as it is available on the NCL website if you are interested in it. The parasailing was sold out for both the morning and afternoon sessions by the time we got on the BA. Oh and because they have two sessions for the activities you can book two different ones in a day depending on the timing.

The morning session parasailing and kayaking weren't cancelled, and we all got refunds for the afternoon activities that ended up being cancelled due to the windy conditions.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise :cool: