Colors-Fall Cruise-Cool to Hot Weather

Would sincerely appreciate any suggestions on what colors may be "seasonal" and what fabric weight(s) may be comfortable when sailing on a long cruise from Civitavecchia at the end of October to Singapore in the first part of December. My general understanding is that I will be cruising from cool to very warm, if not hot, weather. Both the flight to Rome and the flight from Singapore allow two pieces of checked baggage, so I have some room to maneuver with "wardrobe choices."

If it helps, I'll be cruising on NCL, but since I haven't cruised with them in

15+ years, I only know to expect "freestyle dining" where I don't need to be particularly concerned about a "dress code" at dinner.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!

We have both lived in Rome for a few years and have sailed from both there and Athens in October and November. Temperatures in October during the day can still reach well into the 70's if sunny but clouds and rain begin appearing the beginning of October and cooler temperatures are more the norm. Definitely bring a lightweight raincoat or jacket, hat and umbrella. The entire eastern Med gets rainy in the Fall but you'll be heading toward warmer areas so I'd layer under a foldable rain jacket rather than take a warmer jacket. Definitely take well worn in walking shoes or sneakers for the European areas. Fabric weight? For pants maybe stretch crepe or medium weight cotton twill, cotton or polyester blouses or silk if you want and an easy on and off cardigan or two of a breathable natural knit.

Norwegian has changed quite a bit since our first cruise back in 2001 and the POA 2 years ago. Even considering that Hawaii is a well known casual cruise do not worry about being under dressed. The elegant candlelit French restaurant is just a basic cruise ship restaurant on a smaller scale and the Italian place was filled with families ordering pizza. The Brazilian Steakhouse was good though as was Cagney's. We missed the Tapas and music for light dinners but the Pacific Rim was still very good. Basically, unless this particular cruise is very different I would dress to please yourself and anyone you are sailing with and forget any dress code. It does sound like a wonderful itinerary!

Edited by NorthernLite

We have both lived in Rome for a few years and have sailed from both there and Athens in October and November. Temperatures in October during the day can still reach well into the 70's if sunny but clouds and rain begin appearing the beginning of October and cooler temperatures are more the norm. Definitely bring a lightweight raincoat or jacket, hat and umbrella. The entire eastern Med gets rainy in the Fall but you'll be heading toward warmer areas so I'd layer under a foldable rain jacket rather than take a warmer jacket. Definitely take well worn in walking shoes or sneakers for the European areas. Fabric weight? For pants maybe stretch crepe or medium weight cotton twill, cotton or polyester blouses or silk if you want and an easy on and off cardigan or two of a breathable natural knit.

Norwegian has changed quite a bit since our first cruise back in 2001 and the POA 2 years ago. Even considering that Hawaii is a well known casual cruise do not worry about being under dressed. The elegant candlelit French restaurant is just a basic cruise ship restaurant on a smaller scale and the Italian place was filled with families ordering pizza. The Brazilian Steakhouse was good though as was Cagney's. We missed the Tapas and music for light dinners but the Pacific Rim was still very good. Basically, unless this particular cruise is very different I would dress to please yourself and anyone you are sailing with and forget any dress code. It does sound like a wonderful itinerary!

Appreciate all this great information!

Any suggestions for colors?

Appreciate all this great information!

Any suggestions for colors?

For a greater range of temps, plan on wearing thin layers.

Color choices are as varied as people. What colors do you like to wear? Could do neutral bottoms that'll go with all your tops.

theviviennefiles.com has lots of ideas and color combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can offer that in October, Italians will be dressed for fall (whether or not the temperatures agree!) -- darker colors, jackets, etc.

I always tend to pack darker colors for travels anyway, as I would not personally last two minutes in white pants or a shirt without getting something on them, whether that's a drip of chocolate gelato or the dust of the ages from sitting on the steps of a church!

I would pack a dark neutral like black or gray or navy or dark brown, then coordinate various other colors with it. I would vary the weight of the pieces you bring with you as the temps can be variable (may be warm or coolish) in Europe but will definitely be warmer in the second half of your trip.

When I was in Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore a couple of years ago, I still used darker neutrals but lighter weight materials -- for bottoms I have several pair of those quick-dry breathable tech fabric pants and capris that wash up easily and dry quickly. They don't tend to stick to you in the humidity, which I appreciated. For tops, I had some of the slubbed cotton t-shirts and lightweight linen knit shirts. A skirt or pants in a gauzy cotton print were useful too.

Yes, sorry. Buses and metros in Italy and Greece are about the same as in NYC. Wear darker bottoms and if you do get off for a nicer dinner on shore wear your jacket, necessary or not. The pulled up collar will hide any earrings or necklace you chose to wear. I had to do that for several years when visiting NYC. But personal crime is fairly rare except for pick pockets in crowds to include open air food markets in Europe. A small wristlet will normally not mark you as a target as most have a lipstick, cab fare and a chipped credit card at most in them and your ship card. We haven't been past Kusadasi and the Black Sea so would love it if you wrote up a review. Just come back here and tell us what worked and anything that Norwegian is doing right. We normally travel by destination so we could easily go back to a Norwegian ship.