Help please - flight home leaves at 5:00 pm!

Hello,

We (my husband and I) will be getting off the Carnival Splendor on Monday, Sept. 1 (Labour Day) and our flight does leave from La Guardia until 4:55 pm. We thought that we might tour around a bit before heading to the airport.

We are debating just touring on our own (ex. Time Square, Rockefeller Centre - maybe dropping off our luggage at the luggage storage place.) We will really only have 2 good sized backpacks. Or the other option is a walking food tour that goes from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm in Greenwich Village (if we would have enough time to get to the airport).

So my questions are - what time do we need to leave the city to get to the airport safely? How much time do we need to allow if we take the subway and the bus? How much time would we need to allow if we take a cab? Roughly how much would a cab cost from say Time Square to the airport??

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me. I am open to any suggestions that anyone has on what I should do this day.

Jody

Hello,

We (my husband and I) will be getting off the Carnival Splendor on Monday, Sept. 1 (Labour Day) and our flight does leave from La Guardia until 4:55 pm. We thought that we might tour around a bit before heading to the airport.

We are debating just touring on our own (ex. Time Square, Rockefeller Centre - maybe dropping off our luggage at the luggage storage place.) We will really only have 2 good sized backpacks. Or the other option is a walking food tour that goes from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm in Greenwich Village (if we would have enough time to get to the airport).

So my questions are - what time do we need to leave the city to get to the airport safely? How much time do we need to allow if we take the subway and the bus? How much time would we need to allow if we take a cab? Roughly how much would a cab cost from say Time Square to the airport??

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me. I am open to any suggestions that anyone has on what I should do this day.

Jody

its about an hour and a half by subway and bus to LGA...(includes connection times)

you should give yourself an hour by cab.

a cab from times square should be in the $40 or so range(per cab not per person)

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm

buy at least a $5.00 metrocard and use it for two people and the transfers subway to bus are free.

take the express bus if possible...

all the above times are in addition to airport waiting times.

Edited by smeyer418

If you can manage those backpacks while doing the Food Tour in the Village, you can make your way to LGA in 1 hour and 3 minutes per MTA Trip Planner (I would allow 90 minutes) Leaving from the W. 4th Street subway station at 2:15 PM via the F subway to 74th Street Station in Queens, walk upstairs & outside to Street level, and board/take the next Q70 limited stop bus that go to LGA (it has luggage racks) - it's relatively easy to do, with frequent bus services. You can download MTA's mobile App including the newest one with real-time BusTime on location & ETA of next bus on the route at your locatiton, real cool & neat using GPS waypoints from the bus fleet.

Walk 0.37 miles(7 minutes) North-West to WEST 4TH ST STATION (UPPER LEVEL)

Take the JAMAICA CENTER-PARSONS/ARCHER bound Train departing at 2:23 PM

Get off at JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA E/F/M/R at 2:46 PM

Pay Per Ride Fare : $2.50 - Reduced Fare : $1.25

Walk 0.06 mile(1 minute) East to ROOSEVELT AVE & 75TH ST

Take the LIMITED LAGUARDIA AIRPORT CENTRAL TERMINAL bound Q70-LTD Bus departing at 2:54 PM

Get off at LAGUARDIA INTERN RDY & TERM B -CENTRAL PASS T at 3:12 PM

Walk 0.21 miles(5 minutes) North-East to destination.

Approx Travel Time : 1 hour 3 minutes

Total Fare : $2.50 - Reduced Fare : $1.25

Footnote - the U.S. Tennis will be playing that weekend so the subways might be a little bit crowded on the #7 line, the F line should be fine, just check it a week before for any last minute weekend maintenance & disruption/change in service or schedule, etc. Q70 does NOT go to Marine Air Terminal so just make sure your airline/flight isn't using that satellite terminal (which will require additional trip time via free inter-terminal shuttle bus that loop around all the terminals.)

Edited by mking8288

Can anyone speak to the LaGuardia airport bus? Leaves from Port Authority and Grand Central and costs $13/pp. Seems like a middle ground between a cab and schlepping all your stuff on the subway and bus.

One thing I would be sure to take into account if you are looking at schedules is that on weekday holidays (like Labor Day), buses and subways usually run on weekend schedules. So even though it's a Monday, they will be running on the Saturday/Sunday schedule. Enjoy your trip!