Help me choose San Pedro transfers

coasterwiggs

Hubby is dropping 4 of us at the San Pedro port on a Sunday, then returning the rental car and taking a transfer back to the port.

1. He can return the car back to LAX and take a $17.00 shared ride Super Shuttle back to San Pedro. How long will that take him after he drops us off?

2. He can return the car to Long Beach airport and take a $45.00 cab to San Pedro. How long will that take?

3. He can return the car to the Westin Hotel on E. Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach and take a $30.00 cab to San Pedro. How long will that take?

If my prices are incorrect, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Hubby is dropping 4 of us at the San Pedro port on a Sunday, then returning the rental car and taking a transfer back to the port.

1. He can return the car back to LAX and take a $17.00 shared ride Super Shuttle back to San Pedro. How long will that take him after he drops us off?

2. He can return the car to Long Beach airport and take a $45.00 cab to San Pedro. How long will that take?

3. He can return the car to the Westin Hotel on E. Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach and take a $30.00 cab to San Pedro. How long will that take?

If my prices are incorrect, please advise. Thanks in advance.

The price for Super Shuttle is probably right, and the ride from LAX will be around 40 minutes barring traffic tie-ups. Most of the Super Shuttle drivers know how to get around any traffic problems, so the trip should be under two hours at the worst.

Have you considered Enterprise car rental which is a mile from the pier & has free transportation to the cruise terminal.

A shuttle van could make stops between LAX & the Port of LA so that's another factor besides traffic that could result in longer drive. Without traffic delays it's about a 20-25 minute trip back to the cruise terminal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would probably do the drop at the Westin and it will take about 10/15 mins over and back from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. However, my experience is that fare should be closer to $20/25. With time and fuel costs this would be better then going to LAX and back by SuperShuttle.

Astro Flyer, I wish we could use Enterprise in San Pedro, but they are closed on Sunday. I find that strange, since most ships depart on either Saturday or Sunday. It would certainly simplify things if Enterprise was an option for us.

Putterdude, I agree that the Westin drop off sounds best for us. It is the shortest time and least trouble for my husband. And if the cab is $25.00 that is not much more than the shuttle from LAX, with a lot less hassle. Thanks.

Consider using Uber. Westin Hotel to San Pedro is $8-$12, LGB to San Pedro is $17-$23.

I've been recommending Uber a lot....FYI, no financial interest here. I've used them and recommended them to friends and colleagues. None of us will use a taxi again if Uber is available.

Very much so: https://www.uber.com/cities/los-angeles Note the fare estimator.

FYI, you need to set up an account w/ Uber before you travel and install their app on your smartphone. Both are required for the whole process to work (same with Lyft and others). One nice thing is no money changes hands between you and the driver. Also when you request a car you get a photo of the driver and a description of their car, as well as a moving map of their progress towards your pickup point.

All set thanks to the helpful folks on this board. Booked a one way minivan for the 5 of us from LAX for the day before the cruise. Hubby will drop us and all the luggage at the port on sailing day and then return the car in Torrance, CA. By coincidence we already had a hotel booked in Torrance. Just downloaded the Uber app and the quote from Torrance to the port in San Pedro was $12-$16. Really appreciate all the responses.

By the way, it would have cost $89.00 additional dollars to return the LAX rental car to the Westin Long Beach instead of Torrance! I'll never figure out the rental car game. But I don't have to as long as these forums exist.

Edited by coasterwiggs