First time Disney cruiser, with questions...

KPfromCT

:o

Looking at the Disney Dream, for April 2015.

DD Spring Break is later next year, so DH will be done with tax season.

It's a 4 night Bahamas cruise.

We wanted to do a few nights at Disney before/after.

Problem is, the cruise leaves on a Monday......

Would you do Friday, Saturday, Sunday night at the resorts?

I really don't think we have a choice, as she needs to be back at school on Monday.......

Also, we want a balcony, and I am just not familiar with Disney's deck plans.

Is deck 9 good? Looks closest to the pools, etc.

Any helpful information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!:D:D

I'm not even clear WHICH Friday/Sat/Sunday you are talking about for WDW, but it doesn't matter. We do prefer the parks before the cruise. One money saving tip if you are flying in on Friday evening, you can stay at a less costly airport area hotel on Friday night and then go over to Disney property early Sat morning. There are lots of very decent airport area hotels which cost a whole lot less than WDW and include transportation to/from MCO as well as breakfast. You can take Magical Express over to the resort on Sat am.

I'm not sure what info you are looking for. Park tickets are cheaper on a daily rate the more you buy (example, 6 days is not a lot more costly than 4. The fist 3-4 days are expensive, then the rates drop, You could hypothetically do parks Sat/Sun, cruise Monday-Thurs, and back to parks for Fri and Sat if you wished. That gives you Sunday to get home and back to school on Monday. Optimal? Maybe not. But it will work.

On the day of the cruise, it is nice to do a character breakfast at one of the resorts (they are at Beach Club, Contemp, Poly) before heading to the port. That way, you get some Disney in the morning but don't have to pay park admission. How old is your daughter?

There is not a bad cabin on the ship. The only issue is how much you want to pay. Honestly, I'd avoid being right under the pool deck--it is sometimes noisy with moving chairs, cleaning the decks, etc. There has been some debate about this on this forum as one individual claims no noise...but others of us have had different experiences.

You are right to choose a 4 night cruise--don't go any shorter than that!

I'm not even clear WHICH Friday/Sat/Sunday you are talking about for WDW' date=' but it doesn't matter. We do prefer the parks before the cruise. One money saving tip if you are flying in on Friday evening, you can stay at a less costly airport area hotel on Friday night and then go over to Disney property early Sat morning. There are lots of very decent airport area hotels which cost a whole lot less than WDW and include transportation to/from MCO as well as breakfast. You can take Magical Express over to the resort on Sat am.

I'm not sure what info you are looking for. Park tickets are cheaper on a daily rate the more you buy (example, 6 days is not a lot more costly than 4. The fist 3-4 days are expensive, then the rates drop, You could hypothetically do parks Sat/Sun, cruise Monday-Thurs, and back to parks for Fri and Sat if you wished. That gives you Sunday to get home and back to school on Monday. Optimal? Maybe not. But it will work.

On the day of the cruise, it is nice to do a character breakfast at one of the resorts (they are at Beach Club, Contemp, Poly) before heading to the port. That way, you get some Disney in the morning but don't have to pay park admission. How old is your daughter?

There is not a bad cabin on the ship. The only issue is how much you want to pay. Honestly, I'd avoid being right under the pool deck--it is sometimes noisy with moving chairs, cleaning the decks, etc. There has been some debate about this on this forum as one individual claims no noise...but others of us have had different experiences.

You are right to choose a 4 night cruise--don't go any shorter than that![/quote']

Thanks, Moki'sMommy!:D:D

DD will be 16 at the time.

I was talking about the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday PRIOR to the cruise:D

Disney is stressful.

Then we can relax on the cruise.

We are used to cruising on the Lido Deck on Carnival, but clearly Disney doesn't have that option.

We are DEAD sound sleepers, so I am not too concerned about the noise.

Just like to be close to the pools and food.:D

Wanted to try out the Coronado Springs resort. Last time we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Resort, but that was for 8 nights. Since this will just be 2-3 nights, and we have the cruise, we wanted to TRY and keep costs down.:rolleyes:

Thank you again, for your help.

Suggestions for keeping WDW costs down....

You might look into renting some DVC points from a member. This allows you to have a kitchenette in the smallest (studio) unit as well as use of a washer/dryer. In the bigger units, the washer combo is in your unit; in smaller units they are down the hall but no charge to guests staying there. You can save a small fortune AND you are able to purchase a dining plan if you wish (the only way I know of that you can do it outside of a package). Alternatively, skip the moderate resorts and stay at a value. There is NOTHING wrong with them, but they don't have a sit down restaurant, a door on the closet, etc. For a couple night, they are totally fine. It doesn't sound like you'll be there at "free dining" time, so that's out.

We also prefer to do parks before cruise for many reasons--stress (relax on cruise), lost luggage has time to catch up with you, no chance of missing ship due to late plane, etc.

You can use DCL transfers to get from WDW to the ship, but they cost $35 per person each way AND you run on their time schedule. On our next trip, we are picking up a Budget rental car at the Doubletree hotel near Downtown Disney (they have limited shuttle hours or walk from Marketplace bus stop) on the afternoon before and dropping off at the Cocoa Beach location. Cost is $43 + gas. YUP, I do mean it...someone gave me an amazing discount code. It's an easy drive and I've done it before. In addition, you pay for a 24 hour rental, so we will pick up the car the afternoon before we leave--great if we forgot anything and need to make a store run o whatever.

With only 2 park days...decide in advance what you are doing, and if it fits your plans, skip the park hopper option (will save $55 on your ticket). You don't have time to park hop anyhow.

Check on line in advance for any special activities--Star Wars Weekends, EPCOT garden show, etc. Lots of fun. See the new Fantasyland if that suits you. If you want to dine at Be Our Guest, make those reservations as soon as you can! It fills up fast. I'll think of more later, I'm sure.

If you have a Disney Visa card and go to Epcot, you can do a special character meeting and get a "free" photo of character with your family.

Hi molki'smommy, love your advise. We are planning to go to WDW before our 7 night DCL cruise also and we will have to take the transfers to the pier. There will be 7 of us plus all the luggage, so renting a car doesn't seem like an option. Could you please explain how the WDW transfers work? You mentioned that we would be on their schedule. Any information you could share with us would be appreciated!! Any other transfer options??

Hi molki'smommy, love your advise. We are planning to go to WDW before our 7 night DCL cruise also and we will have to take the transfers to the pier. There will be 7 of us plus all the luggage, so renting a car doesn't seem like an option. Could you please explain how the WDW transfers work? You mentioned that we would be on their schedule. Any information you could share with us would be appreciated!! Any other transfer options??

With 7 of you, I wouldn't TOUCH DCL transfers. I'd arrange a private towncar/limo service. They will pick you up at the hotel and drive you to the port. Most allow a 15 or 30 minute store stop if desired. They will do a second vehicle or luggage trailer if needed. The cost is typically the same as 4 people on the DCL bus!!! That means that you can save about $100 each way besides getting to the port when you wish. There are many good limo companies that will be happy to help you--Fl Tours, Happy Limo, Southern Elegance, Tiffany Limo, and many others have a great reputation for reliability, safety, etc. One hint: IF your contract is tip included, print that out. The driver will happily tell you that it doesn't include the tip and want an additional from you! The only downside to the limo service is that you need to get your luggage from your hotel room to the front of the hotel (where the driver will pick you up.) Of course, bell services will be happy to help with that. And do remember to tip the porter at the cruise terminal.

How DCL transfers work:

You book them thru DCL (TA has to do this if you used one). When you check in at your resort, mention that you'll be leaving on the DCL bus on XYZ day. On the day before, they will put a note in your room with exact information. Basically, your checked luggage will be taken from your hotel room between 8 and 8:30 and will be taken to the ship on a luggage truck (not on the bus with you). You will be instructed on the bus departure time (it will be between 11:30 and 12:30) and asked to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before that time. Each departing bus serves 1-3 resorts, so your exact time will depend on whether you are the first, last, only, etc. stop. The schedule varies with each cruise since the number of guests with transfers booked varies. For example, if you are at Animal Kingdom Lodge and they have 60 guests going to the ship, they will have a bus that will not go anywhere else. If there are 20 people with transfers booked, that bus will make 1-2 additional stops. Then you are off to the port and will arrive there about 1:30.

Good news, you have time for a character breakfast before bus departure. You do not need to be in the room when the luggage goes--you are asked to leave it just inside the door with the DCL tags attached. You will get 2 tags per guest in a package before your trip; additional DCL tags can be obtained from bell services at your hotel. While not required, I usually put a note on the bags that says "Luggage for Disney Magic (or whatever ship). Total 4 pieces (or whatever). IF you leave your carry on in the room, put it somewhere totally separate and do not apply a DCL tag. That way, there's no mix up. I usually just take my carry on with me if I go somewhere on that last morning. The cost of luggage handling is included in the DCL fee, so no need for additional tips. There will be a sign on the bus about tips for exceptional service. My logic on that is that if the driver gets the bus from the resort to the port, he has just done his job and I don't tip. If he does something seriously extra (NOT just placing a carry on under the bus), I will tip...but my general logic is that at $35 per guest, I've paid to get myself and my luggage there! The people who deserve a tip are the ones I never see!

Did I cover everything? Other questions?

Edited by moki'smommy

WOW, what a great answer. I'm so glad I asked about transfers. You have answered everything I asked! We will definitely check into hiring something other than DCL transfers because $$ seemed really high. There are 6 adults and one child and we plan to stay at one of the value resorts for 7 nights prior to the cruise. Any advise on value resorts? AOA sounds like fun ever though we will have to get 3 rooms. Thanks again!!

WOW, what a great answer. I'm so glad I asked about transfers. You have answered everything I asked! We will definitely check into hiring something other than DCL transfers because $$ seemed really high. There are 6 adults and one child and we plan to stay at one of the value resorts for 7 nights prior to the cruise. Any advise on value resorts? AOA sounds like fun ever though we will have to get 3 rooms. Thanks again!!

You need 3 rooms? Why? Each room can sleep 4 people. Each room has 2 "2 person" beds.

The value resorts are basically the same with different decor. They are fun, whimsical, and a good time. There is NOTHING wrong with them. Nothing fancy, but clean and reasonable. Just no sit down restaurant (there is a food court). Consider asking to be in a building near the main building--they are huge and spread out.

7 nights with 4 adults in a room might get old......but if it saves an extra room.....tough choice.

DO NOT book the hotel thru DCL. If you book separately, you can take advantage of any "land" specials that might be available (free dining...buy 4/stay 7...or whatever) in addition to getting the best price you can on the ship. If you book hotel thru the cruise line, they give you the "standard" rate with no specials! If you book the hotel far ahead, be sure you can cancel or adjust it should a special become available.

We all want to have our own privacy (all family members). We have spoken with WDW direct about reservations. Our stay won't be until April 2015. I forgot to ask about any specials or discounts. Would they have discounts out for that time frame yet? Our GS saw a show on AOA and has his heart on staying there. Not even sure what discounts to ask about. Can you tell I'm new at this reservation stuff? LOL.

We all want to have our own privacy (all family members). We have spoken with WDW direct about reservations. Our stay won't be until April 2015. I forgot to ask about any specials or discounts. Would they have discounts out for that time frame yet? Our GS saw a show on AOA and has his heart on staying there. Not even sure what discounts to ask about. Can you tell I'm new at this reservation stuff? LOL.

yes, I sort of figured the 3 rooms was for privacy rather than "adult" age kids. DCL considers them "juniors" at age 10, but charges adult rates.

April 2015....well, I doubt that there is anything announced this far out, but there were some 30% off specials that I saw for April 2014. Since I wasn't interested, I didn't spend time on the details. I would just be sure that I could cancel anything I booked now without a penalty. That way, if a special is announced, you can grab it. I'm ot sure what the resort cancellation policy is. Sorry. If you are not using a good travel agent who specializes in Disney, you should be. They would know all the details on any/all deals and likely get you some nice onboard credit for the cruise as well.

We did use a travel agency for the cruise, but they don't do WDW reservations. We will try our local agency for rooms. Thanks so much for your time and all the great help. All seven of us appreciate it. This is our dream trip and we want it to be a wonderful experience. I read all your posts, so if you have anymore great advice we would appreciate it!:):)

We will need transportation after the cruise back to the airport in Orlando. Ideas for that???

There are many operators that can do private transfers such as FLTours and they can be far cheaper than DCL and there $35pp each way transfer. The quickest and easy way is DCL as, as a bus fills up it goes, no finding the taxis.

Sent from my iPad.

You need 3 rooms? Why? Each room can sleep 4 people. Each room has 2 "2 person" beds.

The value resorts are basically the same with different decor. They are fun' date=' whimsical, and a good time. There is NOTHING wrong with them. Nothing fancy, but clean and reasonable. Just no sit down restaurant (there is a food court). Consider asking to be in a building near the main building--they are huge and spread out.

7 nights with 4 adults in a room might get old......but if it saves an extra room.....tough choice.

DO NOT book the hotel thru DCL. If you book separately, you can take advantage of any "land" specials that might be available (free dining...buy 4/stay 7...or whatever) in addition to getting the best price you can on the ship. If you book hotel thru the cruise line, they give you the "standard" rate with no specials! If you book the hotel far ahead, be sure you can cancel or adjust it should a special become available.[/quote']

They need 3 rooms so they are not packed in like sardines. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They need 3 rooms so they are not packed in like sardines. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True...and I tried to note that in my response. My thought process was whether 2 rooms in a hotel with bigger/nicer facilities could do the job and be less costly, or whether the family situation was not such that it would work....thoughts included whether a 2 bedroom DCL rental would do the job for them. They could rent points from a member and would have a full kitchen and laundry as well as 2 full baths. However, this would still only provide 2 real bedrooms along with the livingroom sofa bed and similar situation in the second bedroom--so would not give them the privacy they want despite more space and more facilities.

The other consideration is how much time people will actually spend in the rooms. On a longer trip that is likely to be more per day than on a short trip where you are trying to cram in as much "Disney" as possible into as short a time.

From the response, I wouldn't suggest the 2 bedroom suite set up. Sounds like 3 rooms is likely their best bet.

Edited by moki'smommy

Just a suggestion on transportation. Im assuming your flying in so when you get to MCO/OIA use the DME (Disney Magical Express) bus. It is free to any resort guests between the WDW resorts and the airport. From the resort to the ship or ship back to the airport, I would look into renting a vehicle as well as pricing out private transfers. There are several different rental agencies that serve the port and they all are minutes from the port and offer a shuttle of some sort to and from the pier. I know that there are usually any number of discounts or codes that can be applied for savings on most rentals. Its only about a 45 minute trip from the port to the airport and about 115-130 from the resorts to the pier. Depends on how you drive.

Just a word of warning, if you do decide to drive, when you get on the Beachline/528/Beeline, after you pass the airport, get in the right lane and stay there. The road will split not far before the port, and 1 side goes to the port, the other to the KSC. If you make that mistake and head to the KSC, its a pain to get back to the port, and there is no eastbound reentry. You basically have to go all the way to KSC, and come across a few back roads that the last time we went out there, just to see how hard it wasn't exactly clearly marked. (The more direct route through the KSC was closed not long after 9/11)

Just a word of warning, if you do decide to drive, when you get on the Beachline/528/Beeline, after you pass the airport, get in the right lane and stay there. The road will split not far before the port, and 1 side goes to the port, the other to the KSC. If you make that mistake and head to the KSC, its a pain to get back to the port, and there is no eastbound reentry. You basically have to go all the way to KSC, and come across a few back roads that the last time we went out there, just to see how hard it wasn't exactly clearly marked. (The more direct route through the KSC was closed not long after 9/11)

I'm laughing at this quote since it happend to us a long time ago. We went to a park the day we flew in, but had reservations to stay overnight at a PC hotel. We stayed for the fireworks, then got in our rental car and drove in the dark. Yup, we missed staying to the right when the rode split, and wound up at the visitors center entrance of KSC. I knew to get on A1A to get towards Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, but it was quite an adventure to get to the Radisson via A1A. Now since there are only two of us, we take DCL transfers to the port from the HYATT or from a WDW resort.

Edited by shellyc

You all have been so helpful with your answers about getting from WDW to the pier. We will definitely book with a private company for the round trip. Thanks for suggesting companies. Love the awesome help!! I know where to turn for future answers. Thanks again and Happy Easter.

If you book a round trip with a company that does not include the tip in the quote, be sure that you tip each leg. You will likely not have the same driver.

Example--say contract is $250. On the way there, tip on a cost of $125 to driver 1. On the way to MCO, tip driver 2 a tip based on $125.

Depending on the company, you should be in the $250-280 range if you do a 7-10 passenger van. If you opt for a limo, it will be a bit more. This will include car seats (if needed) and luggage. One way is about $150. That compares to a cost of $490 for 7 people on DCL transfers.

You can google various companies and get quotes from their web sites. When in doubt, go a bit large on the vehicle to be sure you have luggage room (translation, do not decide that you can put 7 people in a 6 person vehicle because one is a small child.

I wasn't trying to be a pain about the tip, but a common question here concerns having different drivers on different legs of the trip.

One other point to consider--IF you are on a participating airline with a flight that meets the time rules, DCL offers on board airline check in on cruises that end in Port Canaveral. This means that you place your luggage outside your cabin the last evening an don;t see it again till you arrive at your home airport. You get your boarding passes and luggage claim checks in your cabin on the last full day. This is an AMAZING service and allows you to bypass all lines prior to security and proceed directly to the gate. Depending on ages and situation, it may well be worth the extra cost. SOUTHWEST is not a participating airline (boo hiss).

Edited by moki'smommy

The price sure beats DCL transfers. We will stress that we are 6 adults and a child with LOTS of luggage. None of us have learned to pack lite:p We will be flying Southwest, so can't take advantage of luggage handling, etc. The reminder about tipping was not a problem, I have seen many questions about tipping on here. I know I'm repeating myself, but we really do appreciate all your help.

You are most welcome. Have a great trip....

IMHO, non participating airline = private towncar/van/limo service if more than 4 people.

One that we had great success with was called RJ's limo, but I understand there are 2 companies by that name and not sure which we used (sorry). Fl Tours, Tiffany, etc. all good. And most will price match if you find a good deal with a company but you aren't sure about the company!