12 year old Oasis kids club

hgon76

Hi! Posted on Royal board but it was suggested I may get more info here :) We are considering a cruise on Oasis next Jan. We have only done Disney cruises & I'm just wondering about the kids club for a 12 year old. Our last cruise on Disney my daughter was in the tween club & we had rules about her coming & going out of the club. (She LOVED the tween club &never wanted to leave so it really wasn't an issue ;)) But, that was on a MUCH smaller ship. And by the 4th cruise, she knew her way around pretty well. I'm very nervous about her being able to wander around a new ship of this size. We will be traveling with another family but their daughter will be 11. Hoping they can be in the same group. I've seen you can "rent" phones for the week. Do these work pretty good? Reliable? Anyone cruise with children this age? Did they enjoy the clubs? It's also not a "vacation week" so I'm hoping there will still be kids her age onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They may let your daughter move down a group....if it's not busy, they sometimes make an exception.

Can't help with the phones...sorry! I know my kids wouldn't have wanted to carry them all the time! I would simply tell your kids where you'll be, so they can make physical contact with you before they go elsewhere!

Years ago my DD was barely 12 (she would turn 12 and we would do a 10-Day Med cruise six weeks later).

We had scheduled the cruise months earlier and I did not remember until after all the planning was done and the payments were made, that she would "age out" of the kids program and would be considered a "teen" so at about 6 months out I was sweating it out -- would we be allowed to let her age down to be with the kids? Should we let her try to teen club? Was the teen club going to be too much for her? Etc. . . .

Long Story, Short; by the time she had her birthday already, it was clear -- she was ready and the kids club would have bored her to death. We agreed to some pretty basic rules which she obeyed. She had a great time and it was a terrific experience for her. It was another step in her developing the skills necessary to become more independent.

My point is, January is a LONG way away. Your current 11YO will likely be a considerably different person at 12YO. She may turn into a person you will be more likely to trust to have earned the bit more indepence that the teen clubs afford (or she may haved turned into a person that may need more rules and/or more supervision by then :)). Investigate your options, watch how your kid is developing, and make your decision closer to cruise time.

Edited by Onessa

Thanks...she may mature but I'll always be over "protective mom"

;) We did Disney in Feb & I let her go places but we each had a "wave phone" & she had to call me when she left wherever she was. We are also considering Independence of the Seas, which is smaller. But still huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...