No Excursion....

*jess*

This is our first stop on our cruise, and we're really thinking of not taking an excursion through the ship. I wanted to do horseback riding on the beach but neither of us wants to pay $95 a person for it.... So what can we do there? We're really just looking for a day of relaxing, walking around and seeing what the town is like, doing some shopping. Where should we go? How do we get there?

Also, one thing I did find was some info on cenotes.... It looks really neat but I can't find enough info to know where one is, how to get there, if it costs anything, etc...

Any help and ideas is appreciated!

Cenotes are basically crystal clear swimming holes, some underground, some above, fed by the rivers that run underground in Yucatan. There are hundreds of them in the area. Usually tourists find them at other tourist sites, such as when they visit a henequin plantation, or a ruin. Near to Progreso there is a cenote at the ruins at Dzibilchaltun, about 25 minutes from Progreso.

If you want to see the town of Progreso, about 50,000 people, and rather unpolished, you just need to get off the ship and walk around. If, when you say town, you mean you want to see the city of Merida, about 1 million people, with a large historic center, you either take the public bus, about $3, or a taxi, about $30. Merida is about 28 miles from Progreso, and well worth the trip.

Most of the things in the Progreso area you need to work to find and see, as it is not fully touristy as of yet. You can read about different things on the yucatan today dot com web site

Jess. As the previous poster said, there is a cenote at the Dz ruins which gives you the chance to visit some moderate ruins AND swim in the cenote. You can book this tour at the pier avoiding the high prices of the cruiseline. As you continue reading this forum, you will learn of other offerings for your day at Progreso, and they are many. It's a great area and very nice people.

Along the Malecon (beachside street) in Progreso, try the whole deep-fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet. Great and reasonably priced.

Jess. As the previous poster said, there is a cenote at the Dz ruins which gives you the chance to visit some moderate ruins AND swim in the cenote. You can book this tour at the pier avoiding the high prices of the cruiseline. As you continue reading this forum, you will learn of other offerings for your day at Progreso, and they are many. It's a great area and very nice people.

Along the Malecon (beachside street) in Progreso, try the whole deep-fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet. Great and reasonably priced.

H has this one pegged. Been there, done that, and had a ball. The ruins are nice, the cenote is gorgeous and the price is right if you go with AutoProgreso.

I didn't try the fish but LSB makes a pretty good Fajita con Camerones. If there are shrimp to be had then it is my job to make sure that they are edible.;)

Archived