Las Caletas & Stone Island Excursions - Just got back today.

TrayceeJ

We just got back today from the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Diamond Princess. We did the Las Caletas and it was GREAT!! We had a great crew, good snorkeling, great group kayaking, lovely beach, hammocks, pottery class, cooking lesson and the food was delicious. After snorkeling, the bar opens up to beer, mixed drinks, sodas and bottled water. It was well organized and fun! The excursion was on Vallarta Adventures, but I booked with vallartaonline.com with German a local travel agent in PV. We were on the same boat as the cruise passengers for a LOT less money. The only difference was that we had to walk over to the Vallarta Adventures booth at the pier and pick up our boarding tickets, which they had at "will call" reserved in our name. I just had to give them my printed reservation receipt number e-mailed to me by German. If you book with German, please tell him Tracy said hello.

Now when it comes to Mazatlan. If you are going to do a Stone Island excursion DO NOT book with Puesta de Sol. The boat was old, dirty and staffed by questionable people. The activities were lacking in organization and proper equipment. The horses used for horseback riding were starved and dehydrated. We opted not to torture the poor horses. We went on the banana boat after a 90 minute wait and the kayaking never took place. I would stick with Randi's Happy Horses or King David. They know what they are doing and do it well.

Please e-mail if you have you have any other questions.

Tracy

any problems with jellyfish? I heard some people snorkeling in cabo were stung.

I didn't snorkel in Cabo, but in the past when I have I did get stung. It's not that bad. I did see one woman that got stung on her arm. She was in the Medical Center on the ship asking for some medication to reduce the pain.

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your quick posting regarding Mazatlan! We are leaving on 11/20 on Diamond Princess. I have some questions about Puesta del Sol, but I'm new to this website and can't figure out how to email you. Would you please email me so that I can know how to contact you? Hoping to hear from you soon, Kelly

We just got back today from the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Diamond Princess. We did the Las Caletas and it was GREAT!! We had a great crew, good snorkeling, great group kayaking, lovely beach, hammocks, pottery class, cooking lesson and the food was delicious. After snorkeling, the bar opens up to beer, mixed drinks, sodas and bottled water. It was well organized and fun! The excursion was on Vallarta Adventures, but I booked with vallartaonline.com with German a local travel agent in PV. We were on the same boat as the cruise passengers for a LOT less money. The only difference was that we had to walk over to the Vallarta Adventures booth at the pier and pick up our boarding tickets, which they had at "will call" reserved in our name. I just had to give them my printed reservation receipt number e-mailed to me by German. If you book with German, please tell him Tracy said hello.

Now when it comes to Mazatlan. If you are going to do a Stone Island excursion DO NOT book with Puesta de Sol. The boat was old, dirty and staffed by questionable people. The activities were lacking in organization and proper equipment. The horses used for horseback riding were starved and dehydrated. We opted not to torture the poor horses. We went on the banana boat after a 90 minute wait and the kayaking never took place. I would stick with Randi's Happy Horses or King David. They know what they are doing and do it well.

Please e-mail if you have you have any other questions.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I just read that Cruise Critic disabled the "Reply by email" function. So, would you please contact me directly at kelly_cruiser@yahoo.com? It turns out that we already booked with Puesta del Sol for next week. I'm trying to figure out what I should do... Looking forward to hearing from you, Kelly

Thanks so much for all the good information. Interesting you were able to book Las Caletas independently. I thought that you couldn't book directly through Vallarta Adventures if you were there on a cruise ship. Did you tell them you were on a cruise ship?? Would love to be able to book this ourselves. We did this excursion through the ship a year or so ago. We really loved it and want to go again in March.

Thanks so much for all the good information. Interesting you were able to book Las Caletas independently. I thought that you couldn't book directly through Vallarta Adventures if you were there on a cruise ship. Did you tell them you were on a cruise ship?? Would love to be able to book this ourselves. We did this excursion through the ship a year or so ago. We really loved it and want to go again in March.

We booked with German at Vallartaonline.com. He does not work for Vallarta Adventures, but as a travel agent in PV he can book the Las Caletas excursion for you and then you pick up your tickets at the Vallarta Adventures booth near the ship. It will put you on the same excursion with the cruise passengers for a lot less money. Yes, he knew that we were on the Diamond Princess. German was VERY helpful and did not mind my many e-mails with questions and concerns. Here is the website for their Caletas Tour http://vallartaonline.com/tours/Caletas/

Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions. thenesheims@aol.com

Tracy

The show the crew put on as we headed back to PV was very entertaining and fun. The volume did not seem in excess to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip beginning to end. Sorry yours was so loud, Gary. Did you enjoy the rest of the excursion otherwise?

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I'm confused about the tour that you did in Mazatlan... I was under the impression that there were basically two- Randi's Happy Horses and the Stone Island Tour that King David does. Now I'm beginning to think that a lot of people do a "Stone Island Tour"?? Can someone perhaps list the different companies that do this type of tour? Do you have more info on the one you did? Is this the one you do NOT recommend? I'm trying to find out more about what excursions are best for us in Mazatlan for our May cruise.

Thanks! Laura C.

I'm confused about the tour that you did in Mazatlan... I was under the impression that there were basically two- Randi's Happy Horses and the Stone Island Tour that King David does. Now I'm beginning to think that a lot of people do a "Stone Island Tour"?? Can someone perhaps list the different companies that do this type of tour? Do you have more info on the one you did? Is this the one you do NOT recommend? I'm trying to find out more about what excursions are best for us in Mazatlan for our May cruise.

There are many Stone Island Tour Companies. Stone Island is a stretch of beach with restaurants in a row. Puesta De Sol is the company that we used (and disliked) through Mazatlan.com.mx. There is Randie's Happy Horses and King David that I have heard nothing but good things about. There is also Miguel's Horses, which I know nothing about. Unless you are booking with Randie or King David there wasn't much to Stone Island. You of course can book directly through your cruise line and they will back your excursion. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to help.

Archived