Decorating your cabin door?

Jaymee287

All three of us are first time cruisers, we will be sailing the Carnival Legend from June 6 - 13 to the Western Caribbean. I have read that finding your cabin can be overwhelming, I'm just curious if you can put a sign or something on the outside of our door? Is this something that would be ok or something that would be frowned upon?

All three of us are first time cruisers, we will be sailing the Carnival Legend from June 6 - 13 to the Western Caribbean. I have read that finding your cabin can be overwhelming, I'm just curious if you can put a sign or something on the outside of our door? Is this something that would be ok or something that would be frowned upon?

I have a couple of decorations that stay in my suitcase with a roll of tape for our cabin doors. It makes so easy to find our cabin.

Yeah, well there are two schools of thought about this. Some think it is ridiculous. Others make it a game. When we went to Bermuda with 6 other couples we made a game out of decorating each others doors. Very fun, the best part is on the last sea day when you swap out their door, that they know so well from finding it all week by the decorations, to another cabin!!! LOL, but if you just wanted to do it for yourself, you could put something up to let you know where you cabin it. (The doors, all that I have seen, are magnetic)

I'm a scrapbooker so I always make 12x12 scrapbook pages (1 for every day) and put a new one up every morning of the cruise. It does help us find our cabin, but it also is fun as I put a pen out on the door and people sign it and write funny (sometimes inappropriate) things.

If they aren't marked up too terribly, I use it in my scrapbook of the cruise after we get home. VERY fun!

I decorated for my birthday the one time and the day befor the cruise was over I tooked and the people in the cabin accross from us saw me and said boy am I gonna have a hard time finding my cabin tonight he said once he saw my door he knew his was just accross

I decorated mine on our last cruise with part of the decorations that Carnival used in our room for our anniversary and it did make it easier to find our cabin until a day or two after the people two doors down did the same thing to theirs and we kept going to the wrong cabin, lol,

I have read in several different places that it makes it so much easier......especially with our ages at the time of the cruise we will be 22, 21, & 21 lol :rolleyes:. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt' forbidden or anything like that, it'll be interesting to see what the 3 of us come up with then :)!

I decorated mine on our last cruise with part of the decorations that Carnival used in our room for our anniversary and it did make it easier to find our cabin until a day or two after the people two doors down did the same thing to theirs and we kept going to the wrong cabin, lol,

That's funny!

I have fish I cut out of fun foam board using a coloring book page. I have used them for several years now, I started with 10, but I am down to 3 because sometimes they get stolen and I gave a couple to a little boy that stopped by my door to admire them several times on one cruise.

They have magnets glued to the back, but sometimes I still have to use tape. Depends on the ship.

I am working on dolphins for my next cruise.

We are cruising for Christmas & I am looking forward to decorating ours for the holiday. It is also our 25th anniversary so I will include that as well!

Actually - our roll call is having a door decorating contest - can't wait to see all the doors!

I'm a scrapbooker so I always make 12x12 scrapbook pages (1 for every day) and put a new one up every morning of the cruise. It does help us find our cabin, but it also is fun as I put a pen out on the door and people sign it and write funny (sometimes inappropriate) things.

If they aren't marked up too terribly, I use it in my scrapbook of the cruise after we get home. VERY fun!

Love the idea of people signing them very cute! Are the cabin doors like dry erase or what?

On my Sept. Glory cruise there was an actual door decorating contest. We had two teens in cabin next to us and they really had their door decorated. The last sea day the Cruise Director James and his assistant toured the ship and picked out several doors that they showed on their early morning closed circuit tv show. From these they chose a winner - our young "neighbors". They got medals and a "ship on a stick". Didn't have this contest on my previous 2 Carnival cruises, but we will be taking tape and construction paper with us this time - just in case.

I made door signs for everyone in my group of 25 on our last cruise, and then snuck around putting them up as a surprise.

It's nice especially if you are cruising to celebrate something specific. For my most recent cruise, our Boxer rescue group cruised together so I put "Legacy Boxer Rescue" and the names of the people that were in each cabin. It makes for good conversation if someone sees you go in or out of your room.

For my honeymoon cruise I put a picture of us with our names in a little foam heart and wrote "newlyweds" and people recognized us from our photo and wished us a happy honeymoon!

Do be careful about names though. Some people may be cautious to advertise too much info, especially those in cabins by themselves, or young women.

I do put a couple of things on my door. If I was more creative I would go all out.

What really irritates me though is some people (kids maybe?) feel the need to steal or knock down the decorations. That happens every time. So don't be surprised if that happens to your door.

I made door signs for everyone in my group of 25 on our last cruise, and then snuck around putting them up as a surprise. quote]

That's a great idea, thanks! I'm packing little canvas "goodie bags" with odds and ends for the 14 of us in our group. I hadn't thought of door signs so now I have another thing to add. Guess I'd better feeling get busy!

That's weird, what ship was this?

I think what she meant to say is that the doors are METAL. not magnetic. Magnets will stick to them. Be careful with the magnets because they can scramble your S&S card. :eek:

I always make a sign for our door also.

Here is a recent one.

HolidayCastaways.jpg

I think what she meant to say is that the doors are METAL. not magnetic. Magnets will stick to them. Be careful with the magnets because they can scramble your S&S card. :eek:

I always make a sign for our door also.

Here is a recent one.

HolidayCastaways.jpg

I can't help but admire your name "Deaf Dude"! I'm a Sign Language Interpreter myself :D