Fiji embarkation information needed.

wildcat68

We are booked on PG for the 15 day Fiji-Tahiti on May 22, 2010. We will arrive in Fiji at 5:30 AM and cannot get onto the ship until probably 3:00 PM. Now, how far away is the cruise ship from the airport? Is there a place to store luggage at Nadi Airport? What is the approximate taxi fare to the cruise ship? We do not have our air through PG, but have it booked on our own. 05:30 until afternoon seems excessive to sit around in the airport. My thoughts were to rent a car and see some sights, drop off the bags at the ship, check in, eat, then return the car. After all this take a taxi back to the ship.

Is this a feasible plan?????? You who have been there please comment.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This is the one occasion I would use the cruise lines services. I believe that you can board at 3 pm. You need to know the cost to take a taxi from where you drop the rental to the port. I would call PG lines and confirm what time they will let you on board. We took this cruise and the port is locked up tight with no place to really rest(there are a few small shops and a maybe a cafe outside the port. Maybe you could inquire with the cruise line to see how much it will cost to take their transport and the use of a day room. We loved the cruise, by the way.

Cruisedreamer1

I am on the same cruise with Mike and would be interested in any hints as to what type of things you did or saw others doing in Fiji or Cook Is. Were there tours other than the ones offered by PGC? Not many options listed to pick from on the PGC excursions. I saw other listings on the Princess cruise that stops in Sava.

Thanks

John K.

Thanks for the post. I believe the cuise line transfer was quoted at around $70 per couple. I tend to think a taxi would be at least competitive if not cheaper, and, more convenient. But, if it is quite a distance it may make sense to use the cruise transfers. All information is helpful and welcome. If someone has lots of info we can use email.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I called PGC and asked about the transfer to ship and day room. They quoted me $350 per person for the day room which we would be waitlisted for. I found a hotel for $70 and a taxi for $16. For me this is a no-brainer! Get off of a 10 hr flight, spend a groggy day waiting to get on ship, ride to ship on a bus, all for $700. Or, spend a day (groggy) and have a taxi ride to ship for under $100. Someone tell me why if this seems so simple, others do the $700?

I called PGC and asked about the transfer to ship and day room. They quoted me $350 per person for the day room which we would be waitlisted for. I found a hotel for $70 and a taxi for $16. For me this is a no-brainer! Get off of a 10 hr flight, spend a groggy day waiting to get on ship, ride to ship on a bus, all for $700. Or, spend a day (groggy) and have a taxi ride to ship for under $100. Someone tell me why, if this seems so simple, others do the $700?

There is a very reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of the Nadi airport--they also have a free shuttle. It is the Raffles Gateway Hotel. No connection to the luxurious Raffles chain, however. The hotel is quite basic, but adequate for a day room/rest after a long flight, or even a short stopover. Public areas are pleasant, and they have a great pool.

There is a very reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of the Nadi airport--they also have a free shuttle. It is the Raffles Gateway Hotel. No connection to the luxurious Raffles chain, however. The hotel is quite basic, but adequate for a day room/rest after a long flight, or even a short stopover. Public areas are pleasant, and they have a great pool.

Having been to Fiji a few times I can confirm that an Airport hotel is the way to go as most offer free shuttles. The ones most commonly used are the Tanoa International, Tokatoka Resort, Raffles Gateway and there is also now a newish Novotel.

All of these are 3 star (+/-). If you are looking for somthing more in the 4/5 star category then there are a number of chain hotels in Denarau, which is not too far from the airport, but would mean a taxi as I don't think any of them offer free shuttles. Hotels here include the Shearaton, Westin, Hilton, Radisson, Sofitel.

In all cases you will probably need to contact the hotel direct to get a day rate.

I believe that PG docks in Lautoka, which is about 24kms (15 miles) north of Nadi, so either a taxi or a private car transfer is not going to be exorbitant. The hotel you choose should be able to help.

Don't want to hijack the thread ..... we will be disembarking in Lautoka at the end of the previous cruise. Does anyone have an idea how long a taxi ride it is to the airport and the approximate cost ? We have an early start - flight to Noumea and the long trek home departs at 8H30. Maybe it would be better to let the ship organise the transfer.......

Thanks

B & T

Don't want to hijack the thread ..... we will be disembarking in Lautoka at the end of the previous cruise. Does anyone have an idea how long a taxi ride it is to the airport and the approximate cost ? We have an early start - flight to Noumea and the long trek home departs at 8H30. Maybe it would be better to let the ship organise the transfer.......

Thanks

B & T

It's about 24km from Lautoka to Nadi Airport, so I would say you need to allow 45-60 minutes, but it could be less if there is little traffic.

I think a taxi will be about FJD30 (US$16).

You would need to check with PG to see whether their transfer would get you to the airport on time.

Thank you for your reply Minz56.

Since you are New Zealanders, maybe you could also answer a question useful for everyone on the itinerary from PPT to Lautoka and vice-versa... The currency of the Cook Islands is NZ$ or Cook Island $ (as far as I know on parity). Are EUR or USD also readily accepted or should we try to purchase some NZ$ ahead of time?

Many thanks

B & T

I called PGC and talked to a customer service woman. She was pretty emphatic that 3:00pm was the earliest due to Customs needing to clear the ship. I have the Tanoa Waterfront Hotel booked in Lautoka for approx. $65 US. I'm basing that price on Fiji Dollars, which I believe are roughly $.52 US. We will taxi there and I am fairly certain we will be very close to the PG. All we really want is a place to relax, and nap, depending upon how much sleep we get on the plane. I really am not interested in getting on 1/2 hor earlier than others. We will be on it for 15 days. Thanks to all who replied.

Thank you for your reply Minz56.

Since you are New Zealanders, maybe you could also answer a question useful for everyone on the itinerary from PPT to Lautoka and vice-versa... The currency of the Cook Islands is NZ$ or Cook Island $ (as far as I know on parity). Are EUR or USD also readily accepted or should we try to purchase some NZ$ ahead of time?

Many thanks

B & T

The currency in the Cook Islands is NZ Dollars. I would recommend purchasing NZD ahead of time as not everywhere will accept USD or EUR, although the tourist shops may. You could probably exchange USD or EUR there, but it is all less of a hassle if you have the NZD before you get there.

BTW I REALLY want to do the Auckland/Tahiti one way cruise in November. I am hoping they have a single special like the one they have for sailings to June :D I have my fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the heads up on the 3 pm embarkation because I even wrote down who I spoke to and repeated it about 3 times asking are you sure it's noon. Well if you're in Fiji how bad could it really be to wait a little longer to get on?

I really think it depends on the situation at the time. The ship is there, the work needs to be accomplished, and customs do probably have some say. I wouldn't bet the rent money either way. For my situation, less than $100 US for the peace of mind knowing we are in a comfortable spot is well worth it. I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law. Now that I have the room they will allow embarkation much earlier. If we didn't have the room it would be no sooner than 3:00pm! Just my luck.

Archived