Southampton luggage storage? rental car?

Four of us would like to drive through the English countryside for about a week at the conclusion of our cruise. We will have too much luggage and lots of things we won't need for that part of the journey.

Is this a place in Southampton to store luggage?

Do the major car rental companies have offices there?

Four of us would like to drive through the English countryside for about a week at the conclusion of our cruise. We will have too much luggage and lots of things we won't need for that part of the journey.

Is this a place in Southampton to store luggage?

Do the major car rental companies have offices there?

Because of the over-hyped threat of bombs, left luggage is a problem. No facilities at the usual places, such as Southampton's rail stations. The De Vere Grand Harbour hotel has a facility (incl for non-residents) but I'm not sure about a week. There are storage companies in Southampton such as

http://www.loknstore.co.uk/household_storage.asp - google for others. Such places tend to be geared to larger and/or long-term household or business storage, but an e-mail will cost you nothing.

Bear in mind that returning to Southampton to collect your luggage may be more of a pain than lugging it with you and dropping off your car at your airport.

All the major car rental companies have facilities in Southampton. Plus the budget national/international agencies, who generally offer better terms than you'll get from the local companies with which they work.

I suggest you check out the costs/convenience/security of storage vs keeping your luggage with you & using a larger vehicle, before you commit yourself.

John Bull

Thanks - all of those options are on the table, of course. I have contacted the DeVere Grand Harbour to see what they offer. OF course, we could pack light (LOL) but somehow that never happens. Thanks for the ideas.

I have contacted the DeVere Grand Harbour to see what they offer.

You pay 5 GBP for the storage but you get voucher for consumption.

2009NCLJADE40121-vi.jpg

So if you have lunch there it's the best way to use the voucher and have your baggage stored for nothing.

If you are berthing at City Center Terminal and it's not Sunday and you are lucky that Gate 4 is open like here:

2009NCLJADE40603-vi.jpg

AVIS is just behind the gate on the left side.

I spoke also with HERTZ. They are willing to arrange pick-up at the Cruise Terminal. Subject it's not Sunday.

Same with ENTERPRISE.

Only EUROPCAR/NATIONAL/ALAMO is refusing to give you lift beside the calling a cab.

Regards

HeinBloed

You pay 5 GBP for the storage but you get voucher for consumption.

if you have lunch there it's the best way to use the voucher and have your baggage stored for nothing.

If you are berthing at City Center Terminal and it's not Sunday and you are lucky that Gate 4 is open like here:

HeinBloed

Pretty sure the same deal at De Vere Grand Harbour won't apply to a week's storage .

Gate 8, Heinbloed, not 4, but yes, it's City Cruise terminal. Nowadays the gate is open on ship turnaround days.

Your photo totally threw me, cos of course you took it from inside the port.

Ugly white building is the Holiday Inn - nicer on the inside than it looks, and you can see just how close it is. De Vere is just a couple of hundred yards past it.

Regards, JB

Pretty sure the same deal at De Vere Grand Harbour won't apply to a week's storage .

Gate 8, Heinbloed, not 4, but yes, it's City Cruise terminal. Nowadays the gate is open on ship turnaround days.

Your photo totally threw me, cos of course you took it from inside the port.

Ugly white building is the Holiday Inn - nicer on the inside than it looks, and you can see just how close it is. De Vere is just a couple of hundred yards past it.

Regards, JB

You are right with Gate 8. Once on QUEEN VICTORIA it was closed and now on NORWEGIAN JADE it was open.

The alternative to Grand Hotel De Vere:

2008-Vent-30055-Ausschiffung.jpg

At the airport in 2008...

But they would have a car to get there... or if they are there on a Sunday they need anyway to get there to get a car...

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived