2 Ports in Israel or 1 With An Overnight?

zwho

We are seriously looking at RCCL Holyland cruise in 2011. One cruise stops in Haifa and the next day in Ashdod. The other cruise stops in Ashdod and overnights there. We are mostly interested in the Jewish sites, and have been to Masada & the Dead Sea and would rather spend our time in Jerusalem and up North. We have also been to Haifa, and don't need to see it again. Which cruise sounds like it would serve us better & why? Thanks in advance for any advice. Mary

I really don't think it makes a lot of difference. Distances in Israel are not vast and you can really visit any site from any port with just a short time more travel.

One thing you could do is contact a private guide like Avitours and get suggestions for both options. If you plan to overnight in Jerusalem it really is moot in any case.

If I were you I would look at other criteria such as the other ports on the itinerary.

The best part of having the overnight is I can get back to the ship on the 1st night whenever or not at all! But I do realize that even though Israel is compact, Haifa is closer to the Northern sites, (Golan Heights, Safed) then Ashdod. I love that the other ports are Istanbul and Eygpt, both with overnights! 2 days at each port, WOW!!!! The last stop is Ephesus, and I love that too. Seems perfect if only I can decide 1 port or 2 in Israel. Thanks for your advice.

The best part of having the overnight is I can get back to the ship on the 1st night whenever or not at all! But I do realize that even though Israel is compact, Haifa is closer to the Northern sites, (Golan Heights, Safed) then Ashdod. I love that the other ports are Istanbul and Eygpt, both with overnights! 2 days at each port, WOW!!!! The last stop is Ephesus, and I love that too. Seems perfect if only I can decide 1 port or 2 in Israel. Thanks for your advice.

Mary,

It sounds like you've got a fairly easy decision! If you love the rest of the ports on one of the cruises, then definitely choose that one. Since both offer 2 days in Israel, you can always decide later exactly how you'd like to arrange your time here. As Mike pointed out (and as you know :)), distances are close enough that with both cruises offering 2 days in Israel, you'll be able to see everything on your list on either cruise, and, if you'd like, you can even overnight in Jerusalem with both of the cruises.

Ruth

We did Ashdod/Haifa, from Ashdod we did Jerusalem/Bethlehem stayed overnight in the morning headed north to Cana/Nazareth and other sites north. If we had to go back to Ashdod I know we would have had to miss some things, the drive back would have been to long.

Thanks for all your replies, especially the last 1. First hand experience with the itinerary is what I needed. We will probably do Ashdod and sleep over in Jerusalem. Probably! Thanks.

Archived