Hotels in Auckland

staceymrow

Hi all

Can anyone tell me the names of some hotels in Auckland that are near the wharf where the ship docks? (walking distance preferably)

I have checked out the Mecure, and its quite cheap. Is it close?

Has anyone stayed there?

Copthorne Harbour City is literally right across the road from the dock, very convenient!! But......it is a bit run down and tired looking. We paid $NZ142 which was for 2 people including a full breakfast (we were there at the beginning of December 2010). All rooms face the harbour. They were fantastic with storing luggage for us while we waited to embark.

• 2 weeks later...

I have you on the calendar. Hope I can figure out how to get a message to you! Cruise Critic doesn't always make it easy. For instance I could have sworn I posted this earlier with an attempt at some form of rough contact info. I even thought I had added my name as a sig. but see no sig here!

With any luck I will recall this thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi all

Can anyone tell me the names of some hotels in Auckland that are near the wharf where the ship docks? (walking distance preferably)

I have checked out the Mecure, and its quite cheap. Is it close?

Has anyone stayed there?

Stacey,

I have returned from Auckland. As it turned out we did not stay at the Mercure although I did go by and it appears to be a typical Mercure property. I would expect a good but unimaginative room, the breakfast area is right in the lobby and again, plain but with the cost factored in probably all right. there is a Copthorne about two blocks closer ( right across from the port entrance, but having seen Copthornes elsewhere in NZ I would stay with the Merrcure. Hope this helps.

I did get the feeling that New Zealand hotels in general are less fancy than their equivalents elsewhere-air conditioning especially is quite rare.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Rydges hotel in Auckland for three nights prior to our New Zealand / Australia cruise in February. The location was a amazing! we had a view of the skytower from our window, which was a block away. The friends we were traveling with had a slightly obscured view of the harbor from their room. The room was a bit small, but very clean. The beds were incredible - definitely one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. There is free internet in the rooms, which was really nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would also highly recommend the V&A cafe to anyone staying in the area of the sky tower. It was a great little cafe for breakfasts and lunch - it is at the corner of Victoria & Albert Streets about a block from the sky tower.

Copthorne Harbour City is literally right across the road from the dock, very convenient!! But......it is a bit run down and tired looking. We paid $NZ142 which was for 2 people including a full breakfast (we were there at the beginning of December 2010). All rooms face the harbour. They were fantastic with storing luggage for us while we waited to embark.

We just booked our room at this hotel for our November cruise. I can handle "a bit run down and tired looking". That even describes me at times! :D However, was it clean? How were the beds? How were the bathrooms? Thanks for any additional information!

Stacey,

I have returned from Auckland. As it turned out we did not stay at the Mercure although I did go by and it appears to be a typical Mercure property. I would expect a good but unimaginative room, the breakfast area is right in the lobby and again, plain but with the cost factored in probably all right. there is a Copthorne about two blocks closer ( right across from the port entrance, but having seen Copthornes elsewhere in NZ I would stay with the Merrcure. Hope this helps.

I did get the feeling that New Zealand hotels in general are less fancy than their equivalents elsewhere-air conditioning especially is quite rare.

Thanks so much for that, I have read alot of people stay at the Copthorne, may check that one out again,as when I previously did an online quote, the nightly cost for a room was expensive compared to others in the area. But from more reading on here, the rate is alot cheaper than what I was quoted!

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived