Review: DePalm Island "Ticket to Paradise"!

OCruisers

Review: DePalm Island "Ticket to Paradise"!

We enjoyed going to DePalm Island and had a great time there! :)

A WARNING to those who desire a beautiful sandy beach: This is NOT the place for you! Go to Palm Beach, not DePalm Island!

Yes, there was a very small sandy area "roped off" on the front side of the island. It was quite shallow and basically for children. Also, it overlooked a water processing plant so it was certainly NOT "Paradise"! :o

The other side of the island had a nice view with beach chairs in both sunny and shady areas. The "beach" area was very calm and clear BUT the ocean floor was COMPLETELY covered with stones. (Be sure to take water-shoes.)

The "Hub" of activity was the large dock and pavillion.

All kinds of drinks (including Beer, Rum Punch, etc.) were freely flowing when we arrived on the island at 9:15 AM! There was a breakfast buffet which changed over to a lunch buffet at 11:30. Since we didn't eat anything, can't give an opinion; but, others seemed to enjoy it. The beer was cold and the "tasty" rum punch was a bit stronger than you might expect at this sort of place ....

Seeing the huge number of friendly Blue Parrot Fish made this tour worthwhile! As soon as you step into the water from the dock, they are there to greet you! :)

Anyone who can walk down five regular stair steps with handrails can do this! The water at entry level is only about 4 ft. deep and quite calm/clear ... and very warm. No need for snorkel gear ... but nice to have a swim mask or goggles. We have some terrific pictures of us swimming with these colorful fish!

It was fun meeting lots of people from other ships and many on "land" vacations. All of the bartenders and island staff were friendly and helpful. We had a great time!

Certainly will be happy to try to answer any other questions you may have.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Ocruisers,

Would someone who can walk down steps but can't go up a huge step be able to go to this beach? I have had 2 knee replacements and I am very much afraid of falling as it is very difficult to get up if I fall. I also can't do a large drop off as the return from that is sometimes more than I can handle. Should I look for something else to do instead of this beach? Thanks.

Katie

katie .... Wish I could be more encouraging BUT I fear you might have more problems with getting on and off of the small tender to the island than with the steps off the dock into the ocean .... :confused:

I would agree with that. But I will say that my father-in-law was able to get on and off the tenders okay a couple of years ago, and he has a very hard time walking (he has MS). As I recall the guys who drive the boat are pretty good about giving people a hand on and off of the tender. That's the only way I can image that he was able to do it.

I don't know about the ladder into the water though. I just don't remember how hard that was. I do know my father-in-law did not go in. But I don't think that was why.

Thanks Ocruisers and Tupelohoney. I will think about what you said. I will just try to find a beach that is easy to get in and out of. If I don't find one, it's not a big deal as I am able to go in our swimming pool at home. Thanks again.

Katie

• 3 weeks later...

Oh! Katie! Sorry!

The main reason for this thread was to let people know how very easy it was to enter the ocean at the dock -- several steps which go all the way to the bottom -- just like our swimming pool at home! Also, how seeing the blue parrot fish is no problem for anyone!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Deb .... This is about the best we can do! Hope it helps! Will certainly try to answer any other questions. Like you, not happy with the "unfortunate situation" in Aruba. Still, you already had this booked so PLEASE do go and enjoy! Warm water ALL every month of the year!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived