Train from Katakolon to Olympia - 2011?

SabreSailor

A simple search using "Katakolon train" on this board turned up the following post from someone who just used the train last month:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29108598&postcount=11

Apparently they just stopped running it at the end of tourist season and started it up again when the new season started.

We were in Katakolon last month on May 6. After months of conflicting information from various websites if the trains would still be available and at what schedules, we were happily surprised to learn from the Tourist Information outside the port gate that there were trains to Olympia, i.e. 9 am, 10 am, 11 am and 12 noon, and returning from Olympia: 12 noon, 1 pm and 2:15 pm. Return tickets of 5 Euros were sold on board the train.

We also noticed that, next to the rental car shop, there was a sign advertising 10 Euros for a return trip to Olympia by coaches and some passengers were waiting there for the next coach.

Hope the above will help with anyone wanting to DIY in Katakolon.

Nicole

Norwegian Jade, Apr 2011, Western Mediterranean

Norwegian Sun, May 2010, Baltic

Norwegian Gem, May 2010, Greek Isles, Adriatic Greece & Turkey B2B

APT's Europe river cruise, Jun 2009, Budapest to Amsterdam

Norwegian Sun, Mar & Apr 2009, South America B2B

Diamond Princess, Dec 2008, Australia/New Zealand

Dawn Princess, Nov 2008, S Pacific/Fiji

Sun Princess, Apr 2008, Australia

Norwegian Jewel, Nov 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Norwegian Star, Nov 2006, Mexican Riviera

Diamond Princess, Jan 2006, Australia/New Zealand

Norwegian Wind, Dec 2005, Hawaii

Pacific Princess, Jan 2005, S Pacific

Star Princess, Jan 2004, Australia/New Zealand

Celebrity Infinity, Jun 2003, Alaska

Celebrity Infinity, May 2003, Hawaii

Pacific Princess, Jan 2003, S Pacific

Superstar Virgo, Sep 2002, Straits of Malacca/Singapore

Regal Princess, Dec 2001, Australia/New Zealand

Celebrity Infinity, Aug 2001, Alaska

for see the routes from katakolo to olympia and back go here:

http://tickets.trainose.gr/dromologia/

click the "EN" button up left

select "return trip" from first drop down menu

enter:

To: Olympia

Select your depart day

check "Only direct trips"

click on "Find trips"

now at the right side you must see the trips from and to Katakolo-Olympia

How far is the train station from the cruise port? And do you know if the train will still be running on its tourist schedule through October?

The train station is at the end of the shopping street in Katakolon, approximately 200 yards from the port gates. If your ship has moored at the longest pier, 15 minutes probably allows sufficient time to walk to and from the station. Don't know if the train will still be running through Oct.

• 1 month later...
thanks itil4get09,

Iwill try to find out how long the "full tourist schedule" runs or if there is a lighter schedule in October.

When you are ay it, how about finding how it works in November too??? :)

We'll be there on the afternoon of November 8th.. docking at noon!

thanks

miriam

When you are ay it, how about finding how it works in November too??? :)

We'll be there on the afternoon of November 8th.. docking at noon!

thanks

miriam

We have decided not to go by train (too risky) so, instead are going by private bus through Geo Travel whose office is right outside the cruise pier entrance. Cost is 10 Euro per person; admission to the Archeological site and the museum is another 9 Euro; tour begins @9:30 and returns in early afternoon.

You confirm seats via the internet but do not pay until your tour departs.

Their email is info@geo-travel.gr.

We have decided not to go by train (too risky) so, instead are going by private bus through Geo Travel whose office is right outside the cruise pier entrance. Cost is 10 Euro per person; admission to the Archeological site and the museum is another 9 Euro; tour begins @9:30 and returns in early afternoon.

You confirm seats via the internet but do not pay until your tour departs.

Their email is info@geo-travel.gr.

Thank you for the tip !! the price is great and i just booked online for our October trip. We had booked the ship's excursion..but these prices are much more reasonable! Hope the quality of service is as good!

As we're going to be in Katakolon only in November it would be great to hear from anyone who's going to use the geo-travel bus how it worked.

The company have an option of a guide-for-a- group- of-10..

I would like to know if - in an afterthought - people who took this ride think that a guide is necessary.. or could improve the visit to Olympia in anyway..

hoping to hear from you when you come back... :)

happy sailings!

Miriam

As we're going to be in Katakolon only in November it would be great to hear from anyone who's going to use the geo-travel bus how it worked.

The company have an option of a guide-for-a- group- of-10..

I would like to know if - in an afterthought - people who took this ride think that a guide is necessary.. or could improve the visit to Olympia in anyway..

hoping to hear from you when you come back... :)

happy sailings!

Miriam

I'll be glad to give you our comments on the geo-travel trip to Olympia! we'll be back around october 11th so I'll try to write as soon as I get home..

Be careful if you rely on this train to take you to Olympia. A recent posting showed the timetable for July. However when I caught the train last week the only train I could catch was the 10.15 and the only train back was the 13.00. There was just enough time to visit the site and the museum but make sure you catch it as there wasnt another train back. The information given on the port side information bureau was completely different. I was told that there were 3 trains leaving Olympia which was completely wrong. They seem to change the timetable whenever they feel like it. Incidentally it takes 40 minutes for the journey.

Well, for better or for worse it will be Geo-travel's bus for us.

We won't return until the begining of November but I too will post an account of our attempt to see Olympia.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

We will be there Sept. 24 2011 on our first cruise! I was reading in the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports book that he recommends the Katakolon Express. It is 20 euros per person, roundtrip. I emailed them today to make sure our cruise schedule works with their bus schedule, but I think that is what we are going to do instead of the train. According to the book, you need to reserve your spot at least a week in advance. Hope this helps!

Hi everyone. Our cruise through Royal Caribbean actually has a "transfer only" option to Olympia so I think we are just going to do that. It's $19 per person, roundtrip so pretty much the same price as the private bus option I posted about above.

for anyone contemplating a trip to olympia, i would heartily recommend getting a guide. securing transportation is only half the battle; once there it really helps to have someone describe what you are seeing, along with a history of the area. we just returned from olympia and can heartily recommend a fellow named dimitris who we booked through stephen at http://www.greecetailormade.com/katakolon/index.htm.

dimitris was extremely knowledgeable and enjoyable to be with. the price for our group of nine was 67 euros each (plus the usual 9 euros entrance fee into olympia and its museum), clearly more expensive than the bus or train options described by others, but with many decided advantages, the main one being the complete tour of the archaeological olympia site.

some other advantages:

1) totally structured to the needs of your group. in addition to the archaeological olympia site, you might add a beach stop, a trip to a winery, a visit to the cremasti nunnery, visits to the village of olympia or some other quaint villages nearby.

2) pickup and guaranteed on-time delivery back to your ship.

3) no concerns about transportation risks due to the fragile state of the greek economy.

4) at whatever price, still considerably cheaper (and smaller groups) than any ships excursion.

for larger groups the price gets cheaper. see the website noted above.

i must state that this is not an advertisement; just a recommendation from a very satisfied recent customer.

bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Archived