Question on pricing

I am a bit confused on the pricing for a 2012 Paul Gauguin cruise. I will be using a travel agent but went ahead to get an idea of the cruise cost on their website. I priced it with and without the air from LAX. I thought there was a credit if you didn't choose air but I'm not sure if that's how it works. I picked the Sept 1, 2012 cruise from LAX for the porthole window cabin category with no air. And then did it again with air from LAX. There was a $2900 difference.

So, is the price different or do you get a credit? $2900 seems a lot for the flight from LAX to PPT (for two). Would this suggest I should just book the cabin for the cheaper rate and add air/transfer/hotel later with Goway later?

Thoughts?

I am a bit confused on the pricing for a 2012 Paul Gauguin cruise. I will be using a travel agent but went ahead to get an idea of the cruise cost on their website. I priced it with and without the air from LAX. I thought there was a credit if you didn't choose air but I'm not sure if that's how it works. I picked the Sept 1, 2012 cruise from LAX for the porthole window cabin category with no air. And then did it again with air from LAX. There was a $2900 difference.

So, is the price different or do you get a credit? $2900 seems a lot for the flight from LAX to PPT (for two). Would this suggest I should just book the cabin for the cheaper rate and add air/transfer/hotel later with Goway later?

Thoughts?

Yes--the credit is $2900 for two--that is we what we got for our April 2012 trip. Not really sure what you mean when you ask is the prices different or do you get a credit---to me it is the same--the net cost of the crusie was $2900 less. Do note that if you get your won air, you are on your own for transfers to/from the airport/ship. Also, I believe if you get the PG air, you can stay on the ship longer after the cruise ends and you also get a Tahiti Island Tour and Dayroom until your flight from PPT departs.

Thanks - yes, I wasn't too clear. I was thinking it would be an on board credit but since the net is the same it really doesn't matter and makes more sense.

I was trying to figure out which deal may be better - getting the $2900 less and getting my own air/transfers or not. What do most of you do - their air or credit?

Thanks!

Have you found flights significantly cheaper than $2900 for two? I've been looking at various dates to get some idea of airfares, and I'm finding that the PG prices are not bad.

If you wanted to fly round trip from LAX this Sept, you'd pay over $1500 per person. If you go next May (the farthest out dates for which fares are available), it's just under $1400 per person. I've pretty much decided if we're paying that much, the extra $100 for transfers, a meal, lack of stress, etc. is probably worth it.

Thanks - yes, I wasn't too clear. I was thinking it would be an on board credit but since the net is the same it really doesn't matter and makes more sense.

I was trying to figure out which deal may be better - getting the $2900 less and getting my own air/transfers or not. What do most of you do - their air or credit?

Thanks!

We took the credit as we elected to travel to/from PPT via Business Class. It was less expensive for us to take the credit, buy our own business class airfare on Air France, than it was for us to take the PG air on Air Tahit Nui and upgrade to business class there--which to me was rather surprising.

We booked PG airfare. We could not find flights ( it's much too early to look, but I've been following the same dates this year for months via Kayaks fare tracker) priced better than what was offered for the air credit. It might be possible to save a few dollars ( tens of dollars , not hundreds), but then we'd have to add the expense of dayrooms, a meal, and transfers.

We also asked for a quote for PGs business fares. The expense was just silly; we could have gone on another cruise for the cost of a couple of extra inches for 8 hours! Ive been wondering about that AirFrance Flight, why the big discrepency in Business Class fare?

The price for ATN business class is very pricey. I paid about $700 to upgrade at the airport and this was significantly less then reserving and paying for business in advance. We were able to do this in both directions but I was careful to get to the airport early.

Using PG air was good as others have said, the day room and transfers are a little pricey if you paid for them yourself. When departing PPT if you want the upgrade you either should take a taxi to the airport from the day room hotel (this will allow you to leave before the buses leave) or in my case, I made sure to get on the first bus and when we got to the airport I went directly to the check in line while my wife retrieved the bags. Departing PPT can be a pain as the line started almost one hour before the window opened. Those at the end of the line probably had a 2 hour wait, minimum, to be processed.

We came back Wednesday night. We left the hotel at 1900 for a 2255 flight. From the time we arrived to the airport until we sat down on the plane at 2230 we were standing in lines. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to check in and turn in our bags.

They did make sure that everyone got on the plane, but I've never been in that long of line. It was worse than Disneyland.

We came back Wednesday night. We left the hotel at 1900 for a 2255 flight. From the time we arrived to the airport until we sat down on the plane at 2230 we were standing in lines. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to check in and turn in our bags.

They did make sure that everyone got on the plane, but I've never been in that long of line. It was worse than Disneyland.

I am curious---are the lines a Air Tahiti Nui "thing" or will find the same thing at the Air France counter? I have not hear a lot of good things about getting checking in at PPT, but most of the stories I hear are from folsk who are travel on Air Tahiti. Thanks!!

I am curious---are the lines a Air Tahiti Nui "thing" or will find the same thing at the Air France counter? I have not hear a lot of good things about getting checking in at PPT, but most of the stories I hear are from folsk who are travel on Air Tahiti. Thanks!!

We flew Air Tahiti Nui and were on the first bus from the Raddison day room. We were processed quite quickly. I don't think it was a half hour. What was crazy was when it was time to board everyone was gathered near the gate and then people just pushed ahead and skipped in line. Well there really wasn't a line and they never called rows or managed it in any way. I was taken aback at how rude the travelers were. At least I thought it rude.

Wednesday night every airline that was flying had a line. Although the Air Tahiti Nui had the longest. I think one of the reasons was that they were filling a 747 from Air New Zealand. It would probable not be as bad on the planes they fly.

We flew Air Tahiti Nui and were on the first bus from the Raddison day room. We were processed quite quickly. I don't think it was a half hour. What was crazy was when it was time to board everyone was gathered near the gate and then people just pushed ahead and skipped in line. Well there really wasn't a line and they never called rows or managed it in any way. I was taken aback at how rude the travelers were. At least I thought it rude.

I never completely understand why people are in a rush to get on a plane--your seat assignment is already made--its not like you can pick your favorite seat. Normally, it is more comfortable in the airport gate than in the airplane itself--I typically like to be the last one on the plane, but I never carry any substantial luggage on the plane--maybe just a small backpack. Maybe people are trying to make sure they get some overhead space to store their belongings.

Wednesday night every airline that was flying had a line. Although the Air Tahiti Nui had the longest. I think one of the reasons was that they were filling a 747 from Air New Zealand. It would probable not be as bad on the planes they fly.

I guess they just don't have a very large staff of people to check peopl in at the airport.

I usually have a larger carryon item with camera equiqment that I REALLY don't want checked so I try to get on earlier within my boarding group. But I can't imagaine pushing to get onto a plane. It's good to know that this is an issue, I'll try to get to the airport early.

Avoid flying in China then - there are no lines and no queues (and no sense of personal space). Then it's a mad rush to get onto planes. And nobody there thinks it's out of the ordinary or rude - it's just a different culture.

Avoid flying in China then - there are no lines and no queues (and no sense of personal space). Then it's a mad rush to get onto planes. And nobody there thinks it's out of the ordinary or rude - it's just a different culture.

Well, if it's the culture I can deal with that but most of the people getting on that flight were Americans.

Well, if it's the culture I can deal with that but most of the people getting on that flight were Americans.

LOL---the ugly American I suppose. Not that it is an excuse, but I suspect that a lot of the crowding and pushing was because people were tired, fatigued, perhaps from touring the Island before leaving on a long trip home---anticipating the cramped coach seats, etc. Just folks not being in the best frame of mind. I guess all you can really do is roll with the punches--not like there is anything that you (or apparently the airline staff) can or will do to change the situation.

So true but all that had to be done to control things would have been to have an airline person call rows or sections like at every other airport ive been to. lol

Don't get me wrong though. It's not like people were pushing each other down or anything. Just totally unorganized and inconsiderate. I guess I can't blame them really - with no direction...

Archived