Golden - Feb 20th Review

travelhound

It’s been one week since we got off the Golden, but it already seems like ages. A little background…I’m 41 and my husband is 43. This was our 16th cruise, the 10th in the Caribbean. However, this was our first cruise on Princess.

Note: This is really long. If you don’t want to read it all, skip to the bottom for overall comments.

We have a great travel agency in Minneapolis that bundles their own charter air with cruises for a fabulous price. (Plane-loads of people willing to get out of MN in the winter.) In addition to the price, the upside is straight through flights from MN to San Juan. The downside, you have to leave the same day as the cruise. That always makes me nervous when flying out of MN in February. It started snowing on Saturday night, which added to the worry. I got up at 2:15 am to shovel the walk and top of the driveway for the cab, which was coming at 3:30. We left the airport without incident, only about ½ hour late.

Baggage claim in San Juan took forever. It was over an hour before we got our bags. We met the shuttle and got to the Pan American pier where the beautiful Golden was waiting along with the RC Adventure of the Seas and Carnival Destiny. We arrived at the pier about 2:45 and there was no line to speak of. After waiting for one person ahead of us, we were on the ship in no time.

Once we found our cabin, our steward introduced himself and gave us a tour. Of course, with an inside room, you don’t even have to move your feet to give a tour. Our room was comfortable, albeit small. The best feature was closet space. Nice open, walk up to closet. The best of any room we’d been in. Tiny bathroom, but functional. Our cabin steward was fantastic, one of our best. His name was Miguel. We were in E112, so if you’re in his area, you’ll be well taken care of.

We set off to find our way around the ship. The Golden is very large and a little hard to navigate at times, but the common areas are plentiful with open deck space nicely designed for private or public space. Both the outdoor pool and the covered pool are attractive and inviting. The covered area came in handy on this trip, as our weather was less than stellar. There is also a small, adult only pool in the back of the ship, under the Skywalker lounge. This area is more quite, but has it’s own appeal. There are plenty of hot tubs in different areas. Personally, I didn’t think they were hot enough, but I understand the reasoning it keeping them the temp they do. Unfortunately, there just isn’t enough time in a week, especially with only one sea, to enjoy this beautiful ship.

Dining:

Since our last four cruises didn’t have traditional dining, we thought we’d try it on Princess. When we booked in September, we were wait listed at #250. By the time we left, we had made it to #94, but alas, never made it to the dining room. It worked out fine, as the anytime dining was nice too. Some waiters are better than others, but we never had poor service. The two dining rooms for anytime are exactly the same décor and menu. If you don’t make a reservation (and we never did) they give you a pager so you can roam around before dinner. Most of the time the wait was ½ hour. However, one night the dining room on 6 told us a ½ hour and the dining room on 5 could get us right in. They are not coordinated at all, so if there seems to be a long wait at one, check the other. I don’t think Princess does anytime dining as well as NCL. I’m not sure you can have both traditional and anytime. There don’t seem to be enough seats to accommodate everyone and more than once, we saw people that were supposed to be at traditional, missed their dining time, and came to the anytime dining rooms. The buffet, however, was one of the better that I had seen at sea. Good variety and something different everyday. It didn’t seem like a punishment to eat there. The 24 hour dining was also nice. Most days we’d go on an excursion and eat nothing or very little for lunch and it was nice to have a little snack when we returned to the ship. Then we could get ready for dinner at a leisurely pace and not hurry because we were so hungry for dinner.

Day at Sea:

We slept late and got to the pool deck at about 10:00. As expected there weren’t any chairs in the sun, but the sun moves, and we choose loungers that would be in the afternoon soon. Unfortunately, by the afternoon, there was no sun, and it rained in the early evening. We settled into the hot tubs and chairs in the covered pool and salvaged the day. A rainy day on vacation in the Caribbean is still better than a day sitting at my desk! That evening was formal night, so we had plenty of time to get ready.

Excursions:

We booked all of our excursion through Princess and online about 3 weeks before sailing.

Barbados:

We took a catamaran/snorkel trip in the afternoon. The morning had been a little overcast, but it cleared up nicely. However, it was very windy, so we couldn’t go to the regular snorkel spot. They took us to an area with four wrecks. Not much coral, but loads of fish. Very busy, though. Constantly bumping into other snorkelers. Still, all in all, a nice day.

St. Lucia:

This is one of our favorite ports and why we choose the Golden. We took a catamaran cruise to the Pitons in the afternoon. We started out in the sun, but then it rained on our cruise south to the Pitons. It wasn’t driving rain through, so the scenery was still beautiful. About the time we arrived at the Pitons, the sun came out and we got some great pictures. It was a nice sail back. We stopped for a short swim in an area where we were sitting ducks for the vendors. They were nice enough though and added to the local experience. St. Lucia is a tender port and the area they bring you is not the main shopping area and in fact, not very impressive. For a couple of bucks you can take a water taxi to the main port. It’s too bad that some people only saw this area and didn’t think much of St. Lucia. This is a beautiful island, just not right at the dock.

Antigua:

This was our worst weather day and our worst excursion. It’s been ten years since we’ve been to Antigua, however, and we were very impressed with how nice the dock town is now. We got off a little early and walked through town, since the sun had just come out from a hard morning rain. As we walked through a market area, I was knit coverup that I liked, but they didn’t have my size. I asked the woman if she had anymore, and she said, “Not here, but follow me.” With a bit of hesitation, we followed her. She brought us to the store that made the dresses and she got one for me there. What a nice surprise. We also got to see some of the great little bars and restaurant off the beaten path. As we boarded our catamaran for afternoon snorkeling, it started to rain. And this was not a little rain…it was hard, driving, sideway rain! This cat had very little covering, so most people, including us, were sitting in the cold rain. We got to the snorkel spot, which was in the open water, far off shore, and we jumped in. Most people elected to stay on board, which would have been the smart choice. We’ve snorkeled this reef before, ten years ago, and it was vibrant. The captain said it had been hit by several hurricanes and been badly damaged. The water was extremely rough and I felt like a fishing bobber. We followed the guide, who took us way to far from the cat, in an attempt to show us something. Due to the weather, the visibility was horrible and there wasn’t much to see. When we did this excursion before, on a nice sunny day, the water is still rough because it’s in open water. I wouldn’t recommend this excursion. We still had to go to the beach, which at this point seemed like a severe punishment. However, just as we hit the sand, the sun came out. Everyone cheered. The weather held together for the next hour as we finished the excursion, only to fall apart later that night.

St. Martin:

Another fabulous day of sleeping late. Generally I don’t like to sleep too late on vacation. I don’t want to miss a bit of warmth and sunshine. However, since it rained most mornings, the extra sleep was a bonus without penalty. St. Martin is not known for fabulous snorkeling, but we decided to go to Pinel Island and give it our best shot. The little island is on the French side, just out from Orient Beach. For those not going snorkeling, they rent two chairs and an umbrella for $10. That’s the best value on the island. There is a beach bar, but it’s very expensive. We got a beer and two ice cream bars for $14. The snorkeling was all right and we had a very experienced guide who made it even better. We took a bus back and forth to the ferry pier and the guide on the bus had humorous and informative commentary for us. It started raining on the bus ride back and continued for the evening. Another rainy/sunny/rainy/sunny/rainy day.

St. Thomas:

I’m not sure if this was our best day because of our excursion or because of the non-stop sunshine of the day. I guess it was a little of both. We took the full day sail and snorkel to St. John. The catamaran Heavenly Days picked us up at the pier. This cat is from the all inclusive, Bolongo Bay. We sailed down the coast of St. Thomas and across Pillsbury Sound for about 2 hours. We landed at Honeymoon Beach at Caneel Bay. Absolutely gorgeous. Aqua, azure, turquoise, blue water with soft, white sand beaches. The snorkeling was good and the water was clear and comfortable. The only problem with this excursion was that it didn’t last long enough. After snorkeling, we only had a few minutes at the beach, before it was time to leave. We were at Honeymoon for 2 hours, but it seemed like 15 minutes. This is a great excursion if you like to sail, however, it can get a little rough on the crossing, so if you tend to get seasick, I don’t think I recommend it. We returned to the ship for a most awesome sunset. Since we had so much rain, we only had a few sunsets, and this was a great last night.

Entertainment:

Since we decided not to kill ourselves and do everything, we didn’t see as much of the entertainment as we usually do. However, Princess does an excellent job with the variety of entertainment. Of all of the ships we been on, there seemed to be more options, not just one show. The piano player on Promenade was very popular and entertaining. Only made it to one big show in the Princess Theatre. It was a singing tribute to Broadway. It was fine, but nothing spectacular. We saw the end of the Caliente show and that seemed more fun.

Embarkation:

Although getting off a ship is never fun, Princess doesn’t seem to take flight times into consideration, unless you are very early. We had a 2:00 flight and almost didn’t make it in time. We didn’t get off the ship until 10:30 and waited in the horrible transfer line for ½ hours. My advice is to take a taxi. We got to the airport about 11:15. I’ve been to San Juan airport many times and I’ve never seen it like it was that Sunday. Maybe there was something behind the scenes that made it so awful, but I can’t imagine they can handle 15,000 people all arriving at the airport within two hours of each other. The mega ships are just dumping so many people at the airport. There were so many people jammed into the ticketing areas that it was almost impossible to move with luggage. We got to the counter at about noon and told that the system was down and they gave us open seating. We proceed to the never ending security line, which moved at a turtle’s pace. Finally about 12:30, someone came running through the line calling out our flight and saying, “Come with us.” We went through a special security line and they literally ran us through the airport. It was only 12:40 at this point, so I’m not sure why we were so rushed. We got to the gate at 1:00 and there wasn’t even a plane there! They said we needed to be at the gate 60 minutes prior. We finally boarded the plane at 3:00. A nice, uneventful trip home and we were at our house by 8 pm, with a driveway full of snow to deal with.

Overall:

All in all, we had a great trip, rain aside. We met some great people our first night, with a cruise critic get together. I think there were over 40 people there and so we started out with 40 new friends. I would do a Princess cruise again. The experience was very similar to other lines that we have done (RCCL, Carnival, Renaissance, NCL, HAL, etc). They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Princess is strong in entertainment options, 24 hour dining/buffet, deck space. Not so strong at controlling anytime dining. Vacation is always a great time for us and generally we’re easy to please. If you’re traveling on the Golden Princess, you’ll have a great time.

Teri

Great review! Thanks for sharing. We're on the Golden in less than 2 weeks (3/20) on the same itinerary. I hope we have better weather! The weather here (I'm in SJU) has been absolutely crazy since November. This weekend was the first time in months that the temperature has been "right" (as in hot enough LOL).

I have just one question regarding your dning experience. What time did you arrive in the DR? Did you ask for table for 2 or did you sit with others? DH and I plan to eat around 7ish and we do want a table for 2 (we're not very sociable people :eek: :D :rolleyes: ). I've read that tables for 2 are easier to get.

Glad you had a good time in spite of the weather! :cool:

We went to the dining room anywhere from 7 to 8:15. We usually were a table for two, but a couple of time dined with another couple. If you are two at 7, I don't think you will much of a wait, if any. There seems to be a big rush between 7:30 and 8:30 and many people have more than 2 people.

Have a great time. Maybe the weather will be settle down by then. We had a very nice day on the Sunday (the 27th) in San Juan when we were leaving.

Teri

Amapola,

Since you are from SJU, I'm not sure if you're leaving from the airport on a Sunday, but if you read my review you saw how crazy it was in the airport that day. Do you know if there was a work stopage/strike or something unusual that day, or do you think it's always that way. We've been to SJU several times, but not since 99, so maybe it's changed.

I'm sure you're getting excited about your trip!

Unfortunately, it's always that way on Sundays, especially afternoons. You have the Destiny, AOS and GP unloading people at the same time. Chaos. I'm flying to Washington this Sunday afternoon and I'm not looking forward to it! :eek:

Sunday after that, I just have a 10 minute drive to the dock :D . In fact, we drive by every Sunday on the way to and from church in Old San Juan :cool: .

Travelhound,

We did back-to-bacj Golden cruises in January and I totally relate to the snow worries on Saturday night...we also had snow and ice! But once that plane was in the air, we had it made!

Our embarkation was marginal at best........very crowded and it took over two hours. But the rest of the trip was wonderful and SJU was a zoo when we came home.

I'm already dreaming of our cruise next year!

Marcia, I go to San Francisco church, which is on (where else) San Francisco street. Masses are at 5:15 Sat, 8:00, 9:30 & 11:00 on Sun. All are in Spanish. There are at least 3 or 4 Catholic churches in Old San Juan alone. I can try to find out if there are English masses at any of them if you want. Let me know.

Paul, I left you a message in the other thread :)

Don't believe it took. Can't find it :confused: .

~Paul

It's there now. Oh, and I forgot something else I had added the first time around: take good care of "my" cabin :D . And if you get loungers for the balcony, could you ask the steward to leave them so s/he doesn't have to bring them again?

And.... don't forget to leave your nametag on the mailbox so DH and I can go incognito :D ;) :D .

It's there Paul, I saw it!!

No need to check English masses...we've been to Spanish masses before and enjoy them.

This is a silly ? but what is music like at San Francisco? Do the people enjoy singing?

It's there now. Oh, and I forgot something else I had added the first time around: take good care of "my" cabin :D . And if you get loungers for the balcony, could you ask the steward to leave them so s/he doesn't have to bring them again? And.... don't forget to leave your nametag on the mailbox so DH and I can go incognito :D ;) :D .
You got it! You forgot to mention Oatmeal for your DH every morning as well ;) .

~Paul

You got it! You forgot to mention Oatmeal for your DH every morning as well ;) .

Oh, thanks so much for looking out for him!! :D And remember, no carbs for me in the morning!!! Hmmmm, what else can you take care of for me???? ;)

I know you'll leave the cabin full of great energy and positive vibes. I'm glad to have "met" you here!:)

No need to check English masses...we've been to Spanish masses before and enjoy them.

This is a silly ? but what is music like at San Francisco? Do the people enjoy singing?

At the 8 & 9:30 Masses, one of the friars leads the singing, no music (and we're very bad singers, at least at 9:30 LOL). There is a musical group at 11:30. It's modern church music, very upbeat, with guitars & conga drums. Very nice voices too (there are about 6-7 of them). We used to go to that Mass but it gets very crowded, and it really cuts your day in half, so we go to the 9:30 one now. But if you want a fun service, go to that one!

Archived