Galaxy Panama Review Part 5 - Shore Excursions

LisadelRio

Shore Excursions

We did our own excursions for this cruise. Our family agrees that the highlight was Costa Rica, where we did the Oscar Brown tour. (Hi Sheryl!)

Cozumel

In Cozumel, we took a cab Chankanaab. As far as I can tell, Chank is the only place in Cozumel with a large sandy beach, plenty of shade and good snorkeling. There’s ironshore near the water, but there is a huge beach to lounge on. There’s also a shallow lagoon, where you can walk into the water on sand, but it’s used mostly by kids.

We arrived around 10 am to find an uncrowded beach and nice palapa to sit under. It was a great day for the beach, sunny and warm but not hot, and a little breezy. The taxi was $10 for all of us and the entrance fee was $12 for the adults and $6 for the 11 year old.

I think there were 7 ships in town that day. We stayed at Chankanaab until 3 or so and it never got crowded. According to some people we met from a Carnival ship, Chankanaab was not mentioned in their talk on Cozumel. They found out about it from their waiter. Fro the record, Chankanaab was mentioned in the Galaxy’s daily program.

The snorkeling was good, the beer was cold, and the restaurant was okay, but overpriced. This was our 3rd visit to this park, but the first time we walked on the paths with the plants and Mayan statues. It’s really nice back in the jungle and I recommend taking the little walk.

We didn’t swim with the dolphins, because they are captive. I would like to do a wild dolphin encounter one day.

Costa Maya – aka Costa Nada

Costa Nada’s probably not a fair name, because we really weren’t here long enough to do much. I can’t remember what time we arrived, but our family didn’t get off the ship until after 9 am. Then we had to be back by 12:45 pm.

We stayed in the port area, which is sand and iron shore, but unlike Chankanaab, there’s no snorkeling. We shopped, we had a couple of beers, and laid under yet another palapa. I spent all our money, and forgot to bring the credit cards, so we went back to the ship for lunch. If we were to come here again, I would definitely take the shuttle to Majahaul.

Panama Canal

We stayed on the ship, but like Sheryl, I wish we had gone on the Embera Indian tour. We saw the canal from every angle available from the ship, both in the morning and going back out in the afternoon. My favorite view was from deck 11 aft, in the morning. A colorful container ship was coming through other locks behind us and that was very interesting to watch.

There was a narrator for the morning transit, but I’m afraid I tuned him out more often than not. By 8:00 am it was hot, hot, hot in Panama. Being March, it was the dry season, so it wasn’t as hot has it could have been. It rained early that morning, but was over by 6:30 or so.

We didn’t get back out of the canal and to the port until almost 5. So, we stood in a long line to go to the shopping area, feverishly blew a wad of cash, and stood in another long line to get back on the ship. We made it for dinner in the nick of time. I noticed a lot of empty tables this night.

Since we were so late, the captain extended our departure until 8 pm. At 7:40 pm, 5 minutes before all guests were to be on the ship, there was an announcement for one woman to report to guest services. We left right at 8 pm, and I hope she was on ship and it was just a problem with the card reader.

Costa Rica

What can I say, we saw the whole country in a day, or at least it seemed like it. We took the Oscar Brown tour, and although Oscar was not with us, it was a fantastic tour. I've forgotten our guide's name, but she was friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. This was to be a 4 to 5 hour tour, but we were on the bus shortly after 8, and got back to the ship after 4 - quite a bargain for $45. That is actually my only complaint about the tour – if it’s going to be an 8 hour tour, I’d like to know in advance.

Otherwise, it was wonderful. The bus was nice and air conditioned. Our guide and the driver were having as much fun as the rest of us. The banana plantation was fascinating. We stayed for quite awhile at the wild life refuge and I wouldn’t have minded staying longer. David held a huge parrot and a baby monkey. The owner offered us all fresh coconuts and even poured some booze in them for those us of that wanted it.

Several times we stopped on the side of the road to see flora – ylang ylang, noni – or fauna – howler monkeys and sloths. My camera case still smells like ylang ylang.

On the boat ride we saw 3 crocodiles, several sloths, interesting birds, iguanas, and a small bat. We were close enough to the bat to touch it. Other than the wildlife, the river look very much like the river we live on. I’ll post a photo of both. Also, I think they have piranhas, and we don’t. Thank goodness.

We would really like to go back to Costa Rica. Next time we’ll do the zip lining.

Jamaica Mon

Montego Bay was a last minute substitution for Grand Cayman. This was fine with us, because we actually like Jamaica better. We spent our honeymoon in Negril almost 25 years ago and have been back several times since.

On the advice of our waiter Kumar, with a second opinion from Cruise Critic, we went to Sunset Beach Resort. It’s the resort that you see from the ship.

It’s all inclusive and a very short cab ride. It was $20 per adult and $10 for David. The price included chair, beach toys, drinks, and food. The beer was Red Stripe, and the drink of the day was tasty. The food was okay.

The snorkeling was pretty good – there was a good variety of fish – but the coral is mostly dead. It’s been killed by algae growth resulting from coastal overdevelopment .(I googled it. I also found out from my googling that Chankanaab reef in Cozumel is suffering the same fate.)

The beach is very nice and all in all, it was a perfect beach day.

In true MoBay fashion, our cab driver tried to convince to go to Rose Hall. When we said no, he tried to convince to go shopping. When we said no, he tried to convince to go site seeing. No again. He wanted to arrange a time to pick us up. We told him we didn’t know when we wanted to leave. Fortunately, by this time we were at the resort, and he couldn’t sell us anything else.

I’m kind of glad this happened. No one tried to sell us anything at the resort, and it just doesn’t feel like Jamaica if someone doesn’t try to sell you something you don’t want.

We did buy something in Jamaica - a couple of bottles of Appleton Rum. They are cheap and Appleton Reserve is yummy. Nobody confiscated the rum when we got back on the ship. They probably didn’t want to dig it out of our beach bag.

Links to other parts of the review:

The ship

The cabin

The food

The activities

We were there in Dec. on the Grand, Tapas in Majahaul is a great beach get away. Negra Modelo beer, great conch cocktail, go out past the reef which is about 100 yards, and it's some of the best snorkling I've ever had. It's not Bonaire, but what the hey.

We too are looking at Oscar Brown's tour for ziplining. Thanks for the Jamaica stuff, it will be our first time there.

I spent a year on Cozumel one week in 84, God has it grown. Chankanaab is a really neat place, we'll probably go back to Paradise Beach.

I love Negro Modelo! I really wish we would have gone to Majahaul.

I was in Coz for a dive trip in 1987 and it's like it's not even the same place. I have mixed feelings about the effects so many cruise ships. While there in 1998, I even signed a petition against building the latest pier. I think 4 or so ships a day would have been enough for both the turistas and the economy. That was a nice reef they built it on.

I am really enjoying your reviews too. As my husband indicated, we are going on this cruise next January and are looking forward to visiting new places. We enjoyed Majuhaul so much though, that I don't mind going again. :)

What was going on in Grand Cayman that required in the change of destination? Last December we were there the day after the earthquake. The seas were pretty rough and they weren't sure they could get us on the tenders. All the water excursions were cancelled. That was the second time we weren't able to go to Stingray City. The first time, my leg was in one of those cast-like boots because the doctors thought I had a torn Achilles tendon. That made stomping around the Caribbean kind of interesting, 'specially when it turned out to be a bloodclot!! :eek:

Lisa as you can see we are departing on this cruise in about 18 days!!!! Have really enjoyed reading your reviews. My DW has made reservations with Oscar Brown and it is so good to hear it is an outstanding excursion. If you can provide any incidental tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I have to say that your reviews have been the best and most informing that I have read in a long time.

Thanks again for taking the time to write these. :)

When we were there in Dec. there were 8 ships in port, we first went downtown to Las Palmares for the huge Margaritas and conch civiche, but the whole place was a zoo; thousands of people.

We ended up at Paradise Beach which was great, and a short taxi back to the Grand.

tawcat, are you ziplining with Oscar or something else?

Thanks Ms. Curry!

The official reason for missing Grand Cayman was that the port was closed because bad weather was causing unsafe tendering conditions. IMHO, I think that they're closing the port much more often and in milder conditons these days. There are several possible reasons, although the one that comes to mind first is hurricane damage.

I checked the weather for MoBay shortly after the itinerary change was made. Here was the forecast - high of 84, sunny, winds out of the south at 5 mph. That is not my definition of weather - that is paradise.:)

Mobay is only 150 miles from Grand Cayman.

I am really enjoying your reviews too. As my husband indicated, we are going on this cruise next January and are looking forward to visiting new places. We enjoyed Majuhaul so much though, that I don't mind going again. :)

What was going on in Grand Cayman that required in the change of destination? Last December we were there the day after the earthquake. The seas were pretty rough and they weren't sure they could get us on the tenders. All the water excursions were cancelled. That was the second time we weren't able to go to Stingray City. The first time, my leg was in one of those cast-like boots because the doctors thought I had a torn Achilles tendon. That made stomping around the Caribbean kind of interesting, 'specially when it turned out to be a bloodclot!! :eek:

Mobay?? first time I've ever heard of it. Yeah we were on our honeymoon, she was sort of a stumpy Long John Silver with an attitude. But, she really loves cruising, and, I really love seeing the world.

tawcat, let us know how the ziplining goes.

Mobay?? first time I've ever heard of it. Yeah we were on our honeymoon, she was sort of a stumpy Long John Silver with an attitude. But, she really loves cruising, and, I really love seeing the world.

tawcat, let us know how the ziplining goes.

Whoops! MoBay is the lazy person's way of typing Montego Bay.:D

I'm glad they didn't kill the Ms. with the completely inappropriate treatment for a blood clot!

Lisa, I was wondering where the reef went. I was in Cozumel in 1986 or 85, I forget, but I told my husband of this great place my friends and I had snorkled with the option of diving. When we got to Cozumel, he said, where is it? I couldn't find the place for the life of me. Now I think it may be under the pier!! I agree, Cozumel is sooooo different these days!

Glad you had fun, we really enjoyed this cruise back in November.

Donna

The official reason for missing Grand Cayman was that the port was closed because bad weather was causing unsafe tendering conditions. IMHO, I think that they're closing the port much more often and in milder conditons these days. There are several possible reasons, although the one that comes to mind first is hurricane damage.

I checked the weather for MoBay shortly after the itinerary change was made. Here was the forecast - high of 84, sunny, winds out of the south at 5 mph. That is not my definition of weather - that is paradise.:)

Mobay is only 150 miles from Grand Cayman.

Was your cruise an 11 day? Ours is a 12 day and we are scheduled for both Grand Cayman and MoBay. I wonder what they would do in that case??

Yeah, I'd take that 84 degree weather right about now myself. It got pretty nippy yesterday. My dental hygienist told me this morning that her sister up just south of Fort Worth had snow yesterday!! Yikes! I thought our snow at Christmas was bizarre! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Mar. 10th Galaxy cruise. There is something to do in Costa Maya. If you take the zebra bus from the port into Majahual ($3/pp?); find the taxi stand in Majahual to go to Chacchoben, which an Aztec ruin that has been open for only two years. The taxi ride is $100/per taxi, but it is still less than if you book the excursion from the port.

Unfortunately, cash is required (no plastic accepted).

Galaxy, Panama Canal, 2005

Mercury, Alaska, 2003

Rhapsody of the Seas, Carribean, 2002

Costa Victoria, Mediterranean, 2001

Just wanted to thank you for the enjoyable reviews. My DH and I will be on the cruise in January with the Currys. Can't wait. Thanks for your answer about the spa cuisine. I'm really sorry that it is not available on the Galaxy. The Summit served the light and lean fare from breakfast until about 7 p.m.

Thanks again.

I just wanted to say thank you for the great reviews. I went back and read all 5 - so thanks for taking the time to add the links. We are considering Galaxy for December but are waiting to see what bargains come across. I also liked your description of bringing the wine onboard. I will be on Mercury in 3 weeks out of San Fran and I will try to pick up some nice bottles before boarding

Archived