Staying in Cabo Overnight on the Cruise?

blackroze

I searched the forums, but did not really find anything. Since there is 2 days in Cabo, has anyone heard, or done an overnighter in Cabo, then got back on the ship the next day? We have always wanted to check out the night life in Cabo without actually staying a whole week. Thank you.

We will be staying overnight in Cabo on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Spirit. All aboard time is 6 p.m. both days but my understanding is that if you decide to stay ashore and book a room at a local hotel it is your perogative to do so as long as you let guest services know in advance. A word of warning however. Should there be a weather condition that prohibits tendering the next day, you would not be able to get back on the ship and would get left behind. We have twice been on MR cruises and missed Cabo due to high swell or wind.

Ships not being able to tender in Cabo happens less frequently than some would have you believe.

A couple did it on my Thanksgiving Spirit cruise, no problems. You could book a hotel and then before the cruise, take a look at the 10 day forecast. If it looks iffy, and your hotel room deposit is refundable, you could cancel and stay on the ship. Most hotels do not even require a deposit anyways.

Alot of people do stay the night. Since the cruiselines have started the 2-day stay in Cabo, there has not been one incident of cancellation for the second day due to weather or other circumstances. That goes for all lines - Carnival, Princess, HAL, Oceania and NCL. And hey, even if your ship is the first that it happens to, a plane ticket to Puerta Vallerta (which is usually the next port) is really cheap. It is always a chance...

We will be staying overnight in Cabo on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Spirit. All aboard time is 6 p.m. both days but my understanding is that if you decide to stay ashore and book a room at a local hotel it is your perogative to do so as long as you let guest services know in advance. A word of warning however. Should there be a weather condition that prohibits tendering the next day, you would not be able to get back on the ship and would get left behind. We have twice been on MR cruises and missed Cabo due to high swell or wind.

On Princess soon :D (Feb 18th) we overnight in Cabo and the last tender the first night is 11:00pm and starts up again at 6:00am..Princess stays anchored unlike some that cruise out for the night and then return...Either way I wouldn't take a chance and will be on that last tender ;)

On Princess soon :D (Feb 18th) we overnight in Cabo and the last tender the first night is 11:00pm and starts up again at 6:00am..Princess stays anchored unlike some that cruise out for the night and then return...Either way I wouldn't take a chance and will be on that last tender ;)

That is nice that Princess stays so late. I wish Carnival did that as there is an evening excursion I would love to do, but it is too late for our all aboard time.

Thank you all. I think we may do it, if we get stuck in Cabo, I guess we can always stay the rest of the week, and meet the ship back home. :-)

Our first trip to Cabo was aboard the Star. Although we only had 7 hours in port, we absolutely fell in love with it, and have not cruised since. We now spend 9 days twice a year there...so I would suggest that if you were to have to spend the rest of the week in Cabo, it might not be horrible! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Alot of people do stay the night. Since the cruiselines have started the 2-day stay in Cabo, there has not been one incident of cancellation for the second day due to weather or other circumstances. That goes for all lines - Carnival, Princess, HAL, Oceania and NCL. And hey, even if your ship is the first that it happens to, a plane ticket to Puerta Vallerta (which is usually the next port) is really cheap. It is always a chance...

I've been doing some research on this, as my husband and I would like to stay over night in Cabo during our cruise on the Splendor. Just in case the ship cannot go back to Cabo on the 2nd day, I wanted to check flight pricing. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any flights that take you directly from Cabo to PV. :confused: cabo helper, do you know the name of the airline that offers flights from Cabo to PV? (Maybe I am not able to find the flights?)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been doing some research on this, as my husband and I would like to stay over night in Cabo during our cruise on the Splendor. Just in case the ship cannot go back to Cabo on the 2nd day, I wanted to check flight pricing. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any flights that take you directly from Cabo to PV. :confused: cabo helper, do you know the name of the airline that offers flights from Cabo to PV? (Maybe I am not able to find the flights?)

Oops so sorry I did not see this before. The little airline is Aero Calafia and you actually connect through Mazatlan. I have tons of friends who do this flight often and it is safe, reliable, and affordable. You leave out of the Cabo San Lucas airport not the big one in San Jose. The tickets from Cabo to PV run about 1,200-2,000 pesos or about $90-$160US. There are times even when it is alot cheaper. Their website offers a button at the top right to switch to English even.

Archived