Booking Shore Excursions Online

Hi everyone. Has anyone actually managed to book their shore excursions via the Thomson website? We're booked on the Dream mid May & each time I go on the site it keeps telling me the trips aren't for sale yet. In January, it stated they would be available for booking from 1 Feb so I left it a few days, but no joy, the message was now not until March. So tried again in March, message was now April. Just tried again & still not available but no message when they will be. This is getting ridiculous!

A few years ago we booked an Hawaiian cruise with Princess and were able to buy our excursions on-line several months in advance with no problems at all. Am not impressed with Thomson Cruises at all (though we use Thomson all the time for our package holidays & can't fault them).

Les:confused:

Hi everyone. Has anyone actually managed to book their shore excursions via the Thomson website? We're booked on the Dream mid May & each time I go on the site it keeps telling me the trips aren't for sale yet. In January, it stated they would be available for booking from 1 Feb so I left it a few days, but no joy, the message was now not until March. So tried again in March, message was now April. Just tried again & still not available but no message when they will be. This is getting ridiculous!

A few years ago we booked an Hawaiian cruise with Princess and were able to buy our excursions on-line several months in advance with no problems at all. Am not impressed with Thomson Cruises at all (though we use Thomson all the time for our package holidays & can't fault them).

Les:confused:

They still don't seem to be available yet. They should be out soon, but they do keep on putting the dates back. This is the first year that they have started to offer the option of being able to book shore excursions online. Those who have and are cruising this winter (till end of this month) have been able to book their shore excursions, so it should be available for this summer soon.

Whether they are having problems with some of the excursions, or not all have been planned yet? I know some on this forum have been commenting on how the number of excursions has decreased (at I think Livorno) recently from the original list that was posted a couple of months ago. Maybe they're still finalising which are going to be offered.

Hi, I've had the same problem. None of the following allow me to book excursions for our May 2012 departure:-

* The shore excursions tab on the cruise website - no facility available.

* The manage my booking link on on the cruise website - tells me to contact the Thomsons travel agent we booked through.

* The my.thomson.co.uk page - allows log-on but to our booking but no facility available to book tours.

As you say Thomsons are not meeting their own deadlines. In the meantime we are researching DIY tours for our ports of call and minimising ships tours.

Len

We did book for the Caribbean - but only about 6 weeks out from departure - not sure how long they'd been available. It did all work quite well - we got the tickets delivered for the first week on the sea day then again at the start of the second week.

I got the impression not too many had used this option though by the numbers on our tickets 3/4, 6/7. I would suggest that unless it's a 'Limited Availability' excursion which you really want to do then you're just as well booking when on board especially since there is a credit charge charge involved with the on-line booking.

Perhaps more people will use this facility in time but at the moment there appeared to be no problem with on board bookings.

I suspect the delay is Thomson trying to finalise prices - but as in other respects, the admin side does seem to let down the level of service and slickness you experience once your cruise begins.

P.S. I should say that we found no problem cancelling one of the excursions booked on-line once on board (after the Port Showcase I realised it wasn't for us). The refund came via my credit card from which I'd paid for the trip - not put onto my onboard account as a credit. I did get a letter from Destinations Services confirming that we had cancelled it with a reference number to chase it up if necessary once at home. But it all worked as they said - except of course I'd probably lost my % C.C. charge on the trip we didn't do - but then again there had been admin time involved because we'd changed our minds and it was a very small price to pay to get the refund no problems.

We booked on line as well. I like the fact its been paid for before you go. We complained about the Margarita Island tour and the put the money back into our ship account straight away. Waiting for next summer cruises now.....

Those who have and are cruising this winter (till end of this month) have been able to book their shore excursions, so it should be available for this summer soon.

I went on the Dream in February and I couldn't book on line. It said you could book the trips listed below, but there was never anything there!

I got the impression not too many had used this option though by the numbers on our tickets 3/4, 6/7. I would suggest that unless it's a 'Limited Availability' excursion which you really want to do then you're just as well booking when on board especially since there is a credit charge charge involved with the on-line booking.

Well maybe they had the same problem as me!

When we went with Princess round Britain, we decided to book on the ship, but the American majority on there had pre-booked most of them, and there was very little left :(

Can you not pay with a debit card or do they charge for that as well?

BTW, thanks for your info on multiple quotes Kruzseeka:D:D

Can you not pay with a debit card or do they charge for that as well?

BTW, thanks for your info on multiple quotes Kruzseeka:D:D

You've obviously got the hang of it now! ;)

You've just reminded me - the refund went into my debit card a/c so I DID use a debit card to pay so no CC charge - that's made me feel better!!!:D

We Booked our shore excursions online this evening for Treasures of the Med on the 16 june. A little expensive but at least all paid for etc etc peace of mind etc etc . Relaxing holiday ??? i don't think so :eek:

We want to make sure we have picked the rights excusions for our cruise (Adriatic Explorer/Pearls of the Aegean). Have made some costly mistakes before so want to learn from that!

We are thinking of:

Half day Ephesus trip @£46 each.

Trip to Olympia @42 each or Kourouia Beach £15 each

Koper - Coach trip to Piran £32 each.

Split - Kika Waterfalls £47 each

Brindisi - Specchiolla Beach £20 each

Please are these worth doing - or can any of them be done DIY.

Thank you :):cool:

We want to make sure we have picked the rights excusions for our cruise (Adriatic Explorer/Pearls of the Aegean). Have made some costly mistakes before so want to learn from that!

We are thinking of:

Half day Ephesus trip @£46 each.

Trip to Olympia @42 each or Kourouia Beach £15 each

Koper - Coach trip to Piran £32 each.

Split - Kika Waterfalls £47 each

Brindisi - Specchiolla Beach £20 each

Please are these worth doing - or can any of them be done DIY.

Thank you :):cool:

Half day to Ephesus - good choice imo.

Olympia is much more interesting than I could have imagined - we really enjoyed this one (can't help with the beach, sorry)

Koper - Piran is a nice place to visit - but so easy (and cheap) to DIY on the local bus. If you want details of how to do it - let me know and I'll post back.

Kika Falls - sorry haven't been and Brindisi is new to me - but have you Googled local buses to see if you can get to the beach yourself from Brindisi - doesn't seem as though it's far given the price. Might be worth asking the question on the Italy Ports Forum - see if anyone has done it and how.

Thank you so much Kruseeka .

Please could you send any info on Piran DIY. Good idea:) Google the beach - I hadn't thought of that.

I did a search on this forum to look for the directions for getting the bus to Piran and found this thread posted by Flopsy in which she describes the Thomson trip to Piran which you might like to read (also some of your other destinations).

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=989190&highlight=piran

This is my review I was referring to – it's the first post which has the instructions for the bus to Piran but again there may be more info buried in the thread which you could find useful.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1205933&highlight=piran

And here are some pics of Piran just to whet your appetite;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=piran+pictures&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8nk&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rFiIT4WPBerD0QXZ5ODJCQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

This is the local bus timetable for Koper to Piran which was something like 3E each way. But it would be worth checking out again prior to travel. I often email local tourist information offices asking questions about local bus services etc and they are generally absolutely brilliant at getting back to you.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=sl&u=http://www.vozni-red.si/bus.php%3Fx%3DKoper%26y%3DPiran&ei=qFaIT7bdKc7I8gPw4ZTaCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQ7gEwATgK&prev=/search%3Fq%3DKoper%2B%2Bbuses%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DV0P%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D610%26prmd%3Dimvnsfd

Another thing I often do is to Google pictures of new destinations to us to get an idea whether it’s better to just stay put and explore the port town (if it looks interesting/attractive) or venture further afield.

This is Brindisi:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brindisi+photos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=YWk&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=alSIT9a7BYXY8gPdy9zfCQ&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

And here is Specchiolla Beach:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=specchiolla+beach+photos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=RC5&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jlSIT9baN4Lf8QONhMjRCQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

Hope that helps and hasn't confused you altogether!!! :D

Just managed to book a couple of excursions online for our maiden Majesty Adriatic Explorer on 4th May. We have just selected the caves tour at Koper and Venice on your Own.

Looks like we can do our own thing at all the other ports of call. Probably use a taxi or bus at Dubrovnik but can always walk if necessary.

Just booked our excursions on-line. Weren't going to, going to wait until we get onboard, but its something less to think about then. Used debit card though, 2.5% charge for a credit card went against the grain.

Oh by the way, our trip is 25th April, so not long to go now (thankfully).

Sue

Just managed to book a couple of excursions online for our maiden Majesty Adriatic Explorer on 4th May. We have just selected the caves tour at Koper and Venice on your Own.

Looks like we can do our own thing at all the other ports of call. Probably use a taxi or bus at Dubrovnik but can always walk if necessary.

I'd get a taxi to pile gate to walk would tire you out it was 10euros for 4 people last oct, we did the caves trip very good but wear a jacket and long trousers, it can get a bit cold in the caves

Thanks for that.

We also did the venice on your own trip, you get about til about 4.30 til the boat launch picks you back up, it drops you off 4bridges from st marks square and isn't much of a walk away

Just booked Rome excursion for our cruise on Dream at the end of June.

Usually wait till we are onboard, but as there were limited space decided to book ahead.

We booked the Rome express as it said limited availability in June, pricey for Mrs Smnb and I but worth it i hope . just for the peace of mind, the queue jumping the entry paid and the meal. a busy day :eek:

Archived