Jewel of the Seas....bugging a couple...

There was just a story on my local news about a couple that were on the JOS I believe they said in March, that kept getting bit by something, so the steward pulled off the headboard and found a ton of BED BUGS....well the couple got off the ship in PR, after 3 days, even after RCI offered to give them a new room. RCI paid for their cruise, and their hotel room in PR.

I can find no link yet about this, but RCI said that they believed the bugs were brought on by a previous guest, and that they launder all of their linens at 155 degrees, which should have taken care of it....

Strange...but hopefully isolated.

uuuugh! Bed Bugs :eek:

I know they exist......I sometimes hear the horror stories about hotels etc......but if I think too much about it.....I'll never travel again.....that completely and utterly freaks me out. :(

I just heard the same news report. We live in a town near where the couple are from.

At least RCI did step up and do the right thing. Of course I guess it would have been hard to cover up what happened. I certainly hope that they fumigated the entire ship. I hate to hear this about one of my favorite ships.

Did anyone else just start to scratch themselves???? Yuck Gross Nasty....

They had pix of the woman on TV...she really was bitten to excess....everywhere that they could show on TV.

It won't deter me though, I still plan on going on the JOS next.:)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but just cooking the sheets will NOT get rid of bed bugs.

Actually we just had to deal with this where I work. A student brought some back from a trip. They had to remove the mattress and dresser. They steam cleanded the carpet and they found bugs in the baseboards and the metal bedframe. But the bugs did not migrate to the other rooms in the suite. According to the exterminator he now gets calls at least once a week from various hotels about bed bugs.

Since they can live in carpets he suggests that you you not put lugage on the floor and that you empty and wash all clothing when you clean out your bags from a trip.

Also the way most people find out they have bed bugs are drops of blood on the sheets.

I have to tell you when I heard that I couldn't sleep that night. Ewww.....

Gak, now I'm itching...

Caroline

My wife and I were on the Jewel last weekl and we both have bites on our legs. We started itching shortly after we got in bed but didn't think it could be bedbugs but something from Ft. Lauderdale. Now it makes sense. We didn't get bit after the first night.

ok this is a post I would rather not have read.

UGH.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef636.htm

Of course I had to go and look online for what they were....

Not good, not good at all.

No sleep tonight,,, but it will not stop me from cruising in a little over two weeks!

OTS Mariner 5/24/05

Jewel 11/04

Majesty 2004

OMG!!!! I am so itchy and grossed out. I'm on the Jewel this Sept 2005 and now I'm going to be checking everything. I hope I sortof forget about it otherwise I will be paranoid the entire trip.

They better get this problem under control now. They need to treat this like some sort of contagious outbreak. It only takes one employee switching ships and taking these things to the other ships in the fleet. These are not to be messed with, I've had first hand experience with these little buggers.

Oh god.. way to freak me out! I'm leaving in a bit over a week, and now I have to worry about bedbugs! I'm going to guess it wasnt the Royal Suite though, so maybe I"ll get lucky and not have a problem...

They had a bit on 20/20 or primetime about a month ago on bedbugs in hotels. The way you can tell if a bed has them is pull back the sheets and look in the crevise of the matress(you know the one that the cording goes around on the edge of the mattress. Look really close and if you see what looks like little coffee grounds guess what!?! YOU HAVE BED BUGS!!

We look at the mattresses now everytime we stay somewhere.

Good Luck and dont let the little critters bite a leg near you!!

ok this is a post I would rather not have read.

UGH.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef636.htm

Of course I had to go and look online for what they were....

Not good, not good at all.

No sleep tonight,,, but it will not stop me from cruising in a little over two weeks!

OTS Mariner 5/24/05

Jewel 11/04

Majesty 2004

Just checked that out also and now I am itchy! Thanks:rolleyes:

Well all joking aside, I will ask them first thing tommorow at the check in line what the situation is.

Good luck! But I wouldn´t expect to get a proper answer from the check-in people. First they wouldn´t tel you about any problems they have honestly I think but even if, My experience is that the check-in people are hired ashore and often have no clue what is happening on board. ;)

However enjoy your cruise and tell us about it when you are back. 7 more weeks to go for me:D

Archived