Spirit Review April 2nd-10th

Litewait

This was our 3rd cruise with Carnival. Traveled with me, (44), Teens 17 & 16 and son 11. I love Carnival, but in all honesty this was the worst cruise I've been on.

I will try and answer any and all questions you may have.

We arrived at the pier about noon. Four of us, 10 pieces of lugguage (small pieces) and not a porter in site! We had to get in line and drag our suitcases for a long way. The poor people behind us helped! Once we got inside the initial check point we dragged them another ways and finally came to one of 2 porters collecting luggage. We then proceeded to the terminal. Once we got to there it went very quickly. There was no seperate line for the fun pass, everyone was in the same line. The only "perks" were for Carnival Vacation Club" members, who bypass all the lines.

Once on ship the first thing we saw was the atrium, beautiful but you couldn't enjoy it because the whole area smelled like sewage. We hurried quickly to an elevator to drop off out carry ons. The room stewards were still cleaning the rooms on our hall, but ours was done (8185) The room was great, birthday decorations were up ect. The kids loved it. Nice balcony, room was larger than the ocean views weve had on the last 2 cruises. The bathroom was also larger, I had to laugh at two teenage girls getting excited about a bathroom!

We then went to the Lido deck, one floor up and had lunch. The food was good, I think a bit better than cafeteria. Had a good selection, lines weren't very long. I tried a piece of the goat cheese pizza everyone raves about and was not impressed. Didn't eat anymore the entire cruise. My son tried a calzone (very picky eater) and I think he lived on those the rest of the cruise. He loved them.

The kids went exploring, I did the tour of the spa but didn't sign up for any services. I think the cost is outrageous. Did make an appointment to get my hair done for the first formal night. That to was costly at $60.00 for shoulder length hair. I don't mean to sound cheap, we aren't. Our sign & sail bill was $800, and we spent $600.00 cash (that was 3, one teen brought her own money). Very, very little was drinks and non was gambling. It included one excursion for $170.00. I had the tips removed and pay'd cash.

The life boat drill was painless. It went quickly and then we got ready for dinner. We had the early seating. Our lugguage had arrived while at the drill.

I don't remember what we had each night. The portions were much larger than what we have had in the past. The desserts were dissapointing everynight but one. I hadn't tried the flourless choclate cake before but did this time. It was decadent. I should of had 2!

Our waiters were excellent and were the only ones that received a full tip. I also tipped the girl that brought the kids drinks each night more than average. AFter the first night their drinks were waiting on them when they got there. Dinner entertainment was terrible. Now, mind you, It's not something I expect to be outstanding. But on the past 2 cruises they have done congo lines with the kids and dancing in ths aisle's. Didn't happen. The waiters merely stood by the table and sang.

Afterwards we went and changes clothes and my son and I attended the Camp Carnival party. It was fun, lots of dancing ect. He met several kids and had friends for the week. I left him there and went and watched the show and left part way through. Again, not the caliber of the past.

Walked down to the Karioke bar and sat in and listened. It was fun, and I got to meet Troy from Hawaii that had been on our roll call. Hi Troy!! Thanks so much for letting me hang with you. Maybe next year we can all cruise together again..

Went to my cabin to get some sleep... DO NOT BOOK 8185!!!. It was awful. Something in the ceiling creaked all night long! The 2 girls went and slept on the balcony, I got about 2 hours off and on all night. My son would sleep thru a train so he was fine.

The next morning, got up early and went to the gym. Why not, couldn't sleep.

Then went to the pursers desk about the noise. She told me to call them and they would send security to listen to it. So, I did and of couse when security came it stopped and when they left it started again. SO, I stepped into the hall and asked one of the stewards to listen to it so they could tell security and he looks at me and says" it's the ship, there's nothing we can do about it".

He didn't even offer to listen. SO now I'm mad and say, so, I guess I don't sleep the whole cruise?? If thats the case this cabin shouldn't be booked!"

And he just stood there. I was dumbfounded. It did get a little better by night 3 and I could sleep.

I will write more later.

Happy Cruising!

Donna

Archived