Part I of my "Regatta" Cruise Review published

ruderhaus

Hello everybody,

I have just published the first of four parts of the review of my cruise on Oceania Cruises' "Regatta" last September. Additionally I have published a photo gallery of that voyage with 137 pictures:

http://www.ruderhaus.de/oceania-regatta-cruise/index.htm

The three remaining parts will be published throughout the next month, and I will make sure to announce their publication. As always, English descriptions in the photo gallery appear by pointing the cursor at the full-sized pictures.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig

Das Ruderhaus

Can you tell us whether the nonsmoking policy was adhered to on the ship? I know the entire ship is no longer 100% nonsmoking, but what about the cabin areas, where there is not supposed to be any smoke, and other public areas. Can we feel safe from smoke in the areas where it is off limits?

Are you a smoker, by the way?

Raoul,

Excellent review. I'm looking for an eastern Mediterranean cruise for next summer and based on your review I'm considering Ocenia. The ship is just beautiful. I love the smaller size. And from what I've seen at their web site the ports visited as not the standard big ship boring ports.

Can't wait to read the rest of your review!

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful Review Raoul.

This should answer many questions anyone looking to book on Oceania might have. I am also sure that anyone reading your review that has sailed with Oceania in the past will feel like me READY TO GO AGAIN.

Great Pictures and again Thanks.

Tomm& Mary

What a wonderful and comprehensive review of an Oceania ship! (Your bilingualism is also very impressive!). Your web site is so informative and helps us look forward to our first Oceania cruise in July.

I have two questions that you or someone else can probably answer.

1) Until we saw your photographs, we did not realize that the Oceania ships have a covered "walking deck" on deck 5. From the deck plans we can now tell that this deck does not extend from aft to prow. But we wondered if one wishes to make a circular walk, down one side and up the other, is it feasible to walk across the ship at either end to make a circular walk? This question is difficult to explain, but it would mean walking through lobbies (or other space) to get to the other side. This kind of walk would offer some variation from the deck 10 walk which requires 13 rotations to make up a mile.

2) Where on deck 7 is the (in)famous laundry room? It seems to be such a happening place that I am now concerned that our cabin might be near it! (I'll also ask this question on the laundry discussion thread).

Thank you again for giving us such a wonderful preview on your site!

H,

first of all I'm glad my review is helpful. I would have loved to publish it earlier, but that was impossible for reasons not in my control.

To answer your questions, eknightley:

1) Yes, it is possible to do this. You would have to walk through the forward and aft stairtower lobbies, respectively.

2) The launderette was on portside, just forward of the aft staircase. My cabin was facing the aft staircase lobby (starboard side) and yet it was very quiet, despite the fairly hefty "through traffic". Sound insulation is superb on this ship.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig

Das Ruderhaus

Many thanks Raoul for a truly comprehensive review. Having cruised on Minerva II I was able to follow the geography easily but also to appreciate the differences between Swan's and Ociania's offering. One question: on Minerva the little sun deck forward of the spa was open to all. I am glad to say not too many people found it and it was a marvellous quiet spot. Do I Understand that on Regatta it is only open to those who have had a spa treatment?

And one final question. How long do you think Ociania will be able to provide this level of service at these prices?!

Good evening thames_side,

I'm not 100% sure as to the little sun deck, but I believe it is reserved for passengers using the spa.

As for the level of service, I understand Oceania is doing very well financially, so at this time I see no reason why the level of service should drop. Also, the high level of service and excellent level of cuisine is what sets Oceania apart. And you can be sure that the experienced people in charge know that only through this they create a niche in which they can be successful.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig

Das Ruderhaus

Thank you for such a thorough and positive review. Your pictures were "post card" quality--you have both a gift for verbal expression as well as visual expression. Your review has put Oceania at the top of my list for my next cruise. Thank you!

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is 'til she gets in hot water."

@thames_side,

as I read at another board, allegedly the little sun deck you mentioned is now free of charge.

@Raoul,

thank you very much for this marvellous review. You know I am looking forward to visiting the Insignia in August.

Ernst

>>And one final question. How long do you think Ociania will be able to provide this level of service at these prices?!<<

Oceania got the ships at very favorable terms (i.e., a fraction of the price of "newbuilds" even though the ships were practically new). So it's reasonable to assume that Oceania will be able to continue providing its current level of service as long as it can keep its ships reasonably full--which shouldn't be too difficult, given the ships' relatively small size and the fact that there are only two ships in the fleet with a third planned for 2005.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Raoul,

This message is a belated thank you for the information about deck five and the location of the (in)famous laundry room. I feel reassured about both.

Thank you again for making your excellent website, narrative, and photos available.

Emma

Archived