Bergen Airport to City of Bergen

I am flying into Bergen in March for a Hurtigruten cruise and am staying in Bergen one night before and one night after the cruise. What are my options for getting to and from the airport into the city? Thanks.

Bergen is super wonderful. Great you will have time there before and after your sailing. Below is some added info for Bergen, its options, some of my visual samples from there, etc. Reactions and added questions??

From their tourism office website, they note the Airport Bus option including frequent bus service to the airport leaving from Radisson Blu Royal Hotel at Bryggen, via Radisson Blu Hotel Norge and the Bus Station. You can see visit http://www.flybussen.no

for detailed information. Plus, there are cab options from and back to the airport. Like most things in Bergen, the cabs are probably not cheap.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 82,448 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here is an example in Bergen in looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smile, our friend, Sharon, was enjoying herself. :

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor, plus nearby scenic areas, etc.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Thanks for such great information. I've decided to try to fly in two days early which would give me a day and a half to explore. I've booked my flights already but I'm within a 24 hour window so may be able to make the change.

YES!! That added time would be helpful. Also, it improves your odds on the weather. March can be challenging in this area, plus not all days in Bergen are bright and sunshine as we had in mid July. Let us know any questions. Below are a few more visuals to get you excited about charming Bergen.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 82,448 views.

This view shows an important central Bergen lake and park at Little Lungegårdsvann and Festplassen. At the park is its music pavilion dating from 1889. It is the site of many local festivals and activities. Several museums are nearby and you can see the fan-shaped, concrete roof of the Grieghallen cultural complex with its 1500-seat theater.:

BergenLakeParkCentDwnt.jpg

Here is one of the glass Floibanen funicular railway getting ready to depart from the top of this 1050-foot high station.:

BergenTrainDownHill.jpg

From water level across the Bergen harbor, this shows the Hanseatic merchant warehouses, other buildings and up to the station for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of this 1050-foot high peak that overlooks the whole scenic area.:

BergenHarborRailStatTop.jpg

Here is another view of the “action” in Fish Market that is right next to Bergen’s main harbor.:

BergenMoreFishOptions.jpg

From the higher hill areas of Bergen, here is the view of the rooftops and other harbor area places.:

BergenRoofTops2Ships.jpg

The tourism office is located in an historic bank building that faces a key shopping square near the Fish Market. This building faces a Holbrook statute in the square and has interesting architectural details. This picture shows the higher part of this building that faces the harbor.:

BergenTourismBldgTopFront.jpg

Any recommendation for a low cost hotel that's safe and clean? I don't need fancy.

We didn't stay overnight there, but my best general suggestion is to check:

http://www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.hotels.com

for the dates you need. Use Google.com maps to verify location and go for handy, convenient. Smaller and local can many times be more fun and interesting than just the bigger name chains. Don't know how many are in your party, but you could also Google for Bergen and B&B to see your options.

We didn't stay overnight there, but my best general suggestion is to check:

www.tripadvisor.com

www.hotels.com

for the dates you need. Use Google.com maps to verify location and go for handy, convenient. Smaller and local can many times be more fun and interesting than just the bigger name chains. Don't know how many are in your party, but you could also Google for Bergen and B&B to see your options.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Already planned to do that, but I've also learned through the years at people on CC often have good recommendations to check out.

It's just me - widow in early 70s. I'm meeting a friend of Illinois for the cruise, but we're not flying over together.

Already planned to do that, but I've also learned through the years at people on CC often have good recommendations to check out. It's just me - widow in early 70s. I'm meeting a friend of Illinois for the cruise, but we're not flying over together.

Great!! Agree, lots of great people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Good luck!

I am flying into Bergen in March for a Hurtigruten cruise and am staying in Bergen one night before and one night after the cruise. What are my options for getting to and from the airport into the city?

Thanks.

Hi,

3 choices are:

Fylbussen (pretty much every 15min) NOK100 single/160 return. Stops adjacent to Norge, Royal & Strand Hotels):

http://www.flybussen.no/bergen/index.asp?lang=ENG

Hurtigruten Transfer: 1300/1500/1700/1830 from airport NOK 170 single. Drop off at hotels (rather than "near" as Flybussen). Must be booked in advance in March. There are also transfers to hotels/station/airport when ship arrives back after voyage.

Few details on Hurti website but there is a page with details & times in printed & online Hurtigruten Brochure

Cabs c.NOK400 from airport (several firms, all ok I believe: Taxi1, NorgesTaxi, Bergen Taxi - you can chose which you want at airport) Worth considering hotel-> airport but pricey if solo from airport

I've stayed at both Radissons (Norge & Royal), Augustin, Neptun & Admiral; also apartment at InCity. All are fairly central with good facilities but not cheap. Prices vary & I'd be happy staying in any again. You can book them through Hurtigruten (at least in UK). Strand is a bit cheaper & very central (a female friend of mine in late 60s stayed there & was happy with it). It's also smaller than most of others.

There aren't many b&bs/guesthouses in Central area - there is one recomended but can't remember name at present - if I do I'll re-post.

Hope this helps,

Richard

I am flying into Bergen in March for a Hurtigruten cruise and am staying in Bergen one night before and one night after the cruise. What are my options for getting to and from the airport into the city?

Thanks.

Hi,

3 choices are:

Fylbussen (pretty much every 15min) NOK100 single/160 return. Stops adjacent to Norge, Royal & Strand Hotels):

http://www.flybussen.no/bergen/index.asp?lang=ENG

Hurtigruten Transfer: 1300/1500/1700/1830 from airport NOK 170 single. Drop off at hotels (rather than "near" as Flybussen). Must be booked in advance in March. There are also transfers to hotels/station/airport when ship arrives back after voyage.

Few details on Hurti website but there is a page with details & times in printed & online Hurtigruten Brochure

Cabs c.NOK400 from airport (several firms, all ok I believe: Taxi1, NorgesTaxi, Bergen Taxi - you can chose which you want at airport) Worth considering hotel-> airport but pricey if solo from airport

I've stayed at both Radissons (Norge & Royal), Augustin, Neptun & Admiral; also apartment at InCity. All are fairly central with good facilities but not cheap. Prices vary & I'd be happy staying in any again. You can book them through Hurtigruten (at least in UK). Strand is a bit cheaper & very central (a female friend of mine in late 60s stayed there & was happy with it). It's also smaller than most of others.

There aren't many b&bs/guesthouses in Central area - there is one recomended but can't remember name at present - if I do I'll re-post.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hi Beth,

Came across a link to a German language page on the Hurtigruten Transfer with Hotels they service in case you're still thinkng of using that (may be useful if you're staying over after arriving back in Bergen if nothing else):

http://www.zeitraeume-reisen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/nordeuropa/hurtigruten/pdf/Transferzeiten.pdf

Google Translate works for me if your German's no better than mine.

I've done several trips on Hurtigruten & happy to try & answer any other questions you may have.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

Hi Beth,

Came across a link to a German language page on the Hurtigruten Transfer with Hotels they service in case you're still thinkng of using that (may be useful if you're staying over after arriving back in Bergen if nothing else):

http://www.zeitraeume-reisen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/nordeuropa/hurtigruten/pdf/Transferzeiten.pdf

Google Translate works for me if your German's no better than mine.

I've done several trips on Hurtigruten & happy to try & answer any other questions you may have.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

Thanks, I'll look at the website. I use Google Translate often as I have a Facebook friend in Sweden who posts in Swedish. I wouldn't know what she's saying if I didn't translate although I often respond in English since she speaks English well.

Beth

I've always just used the Flybus, because it's the simplest and most cost-effective option. You just walk out of the terminal and pay for the ticket with a credit card as you get on the bus (they take cash too). But it's true they won't drop you at your hotel. There are a number of stops downtown, the most common being Torget and Festplassen, so depending on where you're staying it's generally a 5-minute walk to the hotel. The city is easy to navigate and pedestrian-friendly, but if you have trouble handling your luggage, it could be a problem. You can find the map of the stops on the timetable on the website. (The white squares are the stops coming from the airport, due to one-way streets.)

As for hotels, I've stayed at the Rica Hotel Bergen and the Hotel Terminus. The Rica was only 150m from the Festplassen stop and had a fantastic breakfast. The room was small (as are many in Norway), but it was a comfortable stay and the staff was friendly and helpful. The Grand Hotel Terminus was inexpensive by Bergen standards (I think I found a special rate booking directly through their website at the time). It's not a business hotel by any means, but I actually like older hotels with some character and classic old-world atmosphere and am willing to forego some of the amenities when I'm not traveling for work. If you're on a budget, B&Bs and guesthouses will definitely be the least expensive option, but you'll need to book well in advance as it's a popular destination and there are not a lot of these options. Also, you'd likely need to manage some stairs with your luggage in many cases.

Archived