Oosterdam - Just got off

We went on a three day cruise with friends and had a great time. First time on a Vista Class ship and were very impressed.

We now have been on 23 HAL cruises - so you can see that we are hooked - but please don't missunderstand critizisim - I would hope that they can always improve on the product.

Embarkation - We arrived at Canada Place at 11:30 and were one of the first people on the boat. Even with that the sign in was very very very slow and people who arrived later said that they waited 2 hours in line. They were taking a digital picture of each passenger at each sign in station. They seemed to be having alot of problems with this.

The Ship - This was our first time on a vista class ship and we were very impressed. The ship was well though out and had several small hideaways to talk or read a book. Several great new ideas like the observation area, outside behind the crows nest. The only glaring fault that I found was the disjointed layout in the Lido.

Service - As always the service was top notch in all departments.

Food - We always take advantage of the Pinnacle prices on the first night and it was great since we had a group of six. Food and service was excellent. After dinner I took the check and one couple (first time HAL cruisers) insisted on paying for theirs. After the tuging on the bill he got a separate bill. When he looked at it he said "this can't be right" It was the best $10 meal you will every get. Food in the main dinning room was good, though portions remain smaller than in past years. Coffee was very good.

****** Special Note --- At the aft pool were two big signs that said "ADULT ONLY POOL" then below " Yep No Kids" We have all been on cruises were the kids will take over a pool and adults just stay out. I hope that this trend carrys over to all ships. --- Now for the topper --- beleive it or not they actually enforced the rule. Two kids got in the pool and in short order they were having splashing contest. Then a uniformed supervisor comes up and very nicely spells out the rule and they left for the center pool. I just hope that this is not a passing fancy.

Entertainment - It was very good according to those who went - I never do.

Cabins -- We had a VA cabin. It was nice but where did the drawer space all go ?? The only drawers we had were the night stands. The bathroom is now an all fiberglass module. I still can't get over the mattresses. I want to buy one for the house.

Much prefer a two or three week cruise but this was fun and being from the Seattle are it was very convenient.

Dear CC people,

I've read on may occasions that there aren't any drawers in the bedrooms for storage....having just returned from the ship, I can promise you that there are indeed 2 large drawers that pull out from under the end of the beds.

Not that I noticed until I looked for a missing shoe upon packing to disembark and darned if they weren't there!

David

Archived