Palm vs Eagle Beach

AKtoFL

Can't decide between the two, is one better for snorkeling? One safer? Do they both have Divi trees on them? Is the bus cost the same to either beach? Do you see more of Aruba by going further to Palm Beach? Thanks

Can't decide between the two, is one better for snorkeling? One safer? Do they both have Divi trees on them? Is the bus cost the same to either beach? Do you see more of Aruba by going further to Palm Beach? Thanks

I'm at Palm Beach right now and I cannot see anywhere that would be good for snorkeling. The beaches have enough wave action that the water isn't perfectly clear and there are no reefs near the shores. It's a great beach for swimming and hanging out, but I'd look elsewhere to go snorkelling. Also, there are a lot of boat rentals in the area, so you can't really swim outside the roped off swimming areas.

There are resorts all up and down the beach- lots of palm trees on some resorts, but I haven't noticed many Divi trees.

It cost $2.30 to take the bus round-trip to Palm Beach. It is a fairly quick trip to get here, but it took us a long time to get back because the bus stopped constantly.

I haven't been to Eagle Beach so I can't help you there.

Can't decide between the two, is one better for snorkeling?
Snorkling in Aruba -Palm Beach???

One safer?
Watch currents no matter where you snorkel. If snorkeling on Palm beach, see info in my above post, also pay attention to boats.

Do they both have Divi trees on them?
There is a large shade tree at Boca Catalina, there is no shade at Catalina Cove, there are some public palapas at Arashi beach, but get there early to claim it.

Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove and Arashi are past Palm beach and the bus ride past Palm beach all you will see are the fronts of the hotels. You won't get the view of the ocean until you are north of Palm beach.

We do not think that either Palm or Eagle has particularly good snorkeling. As had been posted, the lesser known (at least to cruisers) Arashi Beach probably has the best snorkeling that can be accessed from a beach. However, Arashi does not have facilities and its a pretty long swim out to the best reefs for snorkeling (these same reefs are favored by many snorkel boat trips) which may not suit the inexperienced. Baby Beach (on the other side of the island) is much easier for snorkelers but also a lot less rewarding. By the way, it is possible to get out to Arashi by taking the inexpensive public bus (the bus station is located a short walk from the cruise port). On cruise visits, when we do not feel like renting a car, we will often go out to Arashi in the morning, then later take the bus over to Eagle Beach for lunch and our afternoon swim and sunning. As to Palm Beach (also called the "High Rise" Hotel area)....we find the place to crowded and commercial. When staying on the island we prefer to stay on Eagle or Manchebo (the "low rise" area).

Hank

Archived