evening arrival questions

noodle

We are looking at the 10 night tuamotus and society islands cruise. We likely would arrive late at night and go straight to the ship. I have two questios regarding a late arrival. First, since we will be boarding after most others have been on board will we have trouble getting dinner reservations at the two restaurants that require them or is it fairly easy to secure reservations during the first few days. Second, if we do marcs motu picnic that next day in huahine, will we have time the next morning to get snorkel equipment before needing to catch a tender?

You will not have any trouble making dinner reservations although it is possible that some particular times might be fully booked.

The marina platform should be open at 8 am in the morning for snorkel equipment pickup. We like to bring our own though: a mask and snorkel are inexpensive and don't take up much luggage space.

Noodle, about 40 to 60% of the 10 day cruise pasengers come on the same day evening flight. They leave the evening flight passengers some sandwiches in the room since you are missing dinner on the ship.

Also, remember people can only board the ship at 3pm that day and being the first day they take their time to settle in. I suggest speaking to the Maitre Ds on board about the times and dates and I am sure they will try to accomodate you. Also, you increase your chances if you are willing to share a table.

PG is small ship and if it doesn't open before 8am, ask the travel concierge or front desk and they will try to help if they can.

If at all possible I would say fly in the day before.

The people who flew in the same day go to the ship at 1 pm - I actually saw them so I know. Then the next day in Huahine is a wash out. Huahine is a very beautiful island and you should consider Marc's excursion there.

I agree with Emdee--arrive at least one day in advance if you can manage it. The first day of the cruise will be a blur otherwise, and you'll be asleep under a palm tree at the picnic!

The shortest time we've spent pre-cruise is one night, and that is plus an overnight in L.A.

Is it the case that there are no on-line restaurant bookings prior to the cruise? (Haven't sailed since Regent managed the ship.)

I convinced my husband to do the 7 night with 3 day prestay at the TIC (he wanted to fly in directly to the ship with no prestay as he didn't want to take too many days off work since he takes time off in the summers to join me and the kids at the coast). Then I saw the 10 night cruise itinerary and I convinced him that would be more economical than staying at the resort and that we will just be tired the first day. So I would be hard pressed to get another day out of him. Bottom line is he will at most commit to 10 nights so it is either fly direct to the 10 night cruise or do a 7 night with 3 night precruise. Probably more info than you need but there it is. Since Tahiti is so expensive to eat and drink, I thought we'd be better off being on the ship the whole time where it is included. The two different options cost pretty much the same with the exception of no lunch, dinner and drinks for the prestay portion.

I don't know about booking the restaurants online beforehand. Can anyone speak to this?

OK see your point on the 7 vs 10 day.

Huahine is still lovely and maybe after a half day rest you can book a tour from the ship in the afternoon. Or you can walk around Fare ( not much to do there).

Restaurants cannot be booked before you board.

Archived