Hotel Continental Barcelona question

I notice that many people book with Hotel Continental Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Please give me your feedback on this hotel (ie cleanliness etc). Saw a couple of posts in a travel site that were not too complimentary however users on this site seem to stay there a lot.

Any other suggestions for hotels in terms of proximity to Las Ramblas/Port/Gothic Quarter that are reasonably priced without compromising quality?

Here are some hotels I've seen recommended on these boards.

Here are some hotels I've seem recommended on these sites, and website where available.

Gran Havana http://www.silken-granhavana.com/

Le Meridien http://www.lemeridien.com/spain/bar...el_es1601.shtml

Hotel Colon http://www.hotelcolon.es/

Hotel Majestic http://www.hotelmajestic.es/

Hotel Jazz

Hostal Opera http://www.hostalopera.com/eng/hostal.asp

NH Calderon Hotel http://www.hotelnhcalderon.com/

Ac Diplomat http://www.achoteldiplomatic.com/index.english.html

Condes de Barcelona http://www.condesdebarcelona.com/

Apsis Atrium Palace http://www.hotel-atriumpalace.com/

Hotel Atlantis http://www.hotelatlantis-bcn.com/

Hotel Montecarlo http://www.montecarlobcn.com/swf/menuing.html

Hotel Regina http://www.reginahotel.com/

I'm booked for Hotel Continental in September.

Frances

hotel continental in barcelona was highly touted on the message boards as a very nice and relatively "cheap" hotel.

i think the word"cheap" is the reason many people like the hotel.

i booked the hotel for our post cruise last august. i knew there wasn't any air conditioning but we booked anyway.

to make a long story even longer we walked out after staying in the hotel for about 3 hours. of course we lost our deposit but we did not care.

we felt the hotel was geared for backpackers which we were 30 years ago. today we feel that our needs are different. when one spends x amount of dollars on a cruise we feel there is no reason to cut back on your hotel.

the room was very stuffy and we felt the fan did not do anything.we also felt that the room was not as clean as we would would like it to be.

the hotel did not meet our present day standards.

we are not snobs but we try to draw the line when it comes to our comfort.

that is just our opinion.

burtshell

We stayed at the sister hotel, the Continental Palacete last August, largely because it has A/C. It was wonderful. I've heard that the Continental now has A/C, which might make the world of difference .

We did not stay at the Continental but met a couple from Australia in a nearby restaurant who were staying at that hotel. They were very disappointed in its quality and cleanliness. Their room faced a brick wall.

We stayed at LeMeridian right on Las Ramblas. It couldn't have been a better location for easy access to Maremagnum on the harbor and Placa de Cataluyna on the upper end. Our room faced Las Ramblas but it was quiet at night. The Gothic area was just down Las Ramblas and the wonderful market was half a block away. Don't forget to visit the market with its wonderful fruit, vegetable, and candy displays. Farther back inside the market are the fish and meat stands.

Here's a link to our Barcelona pictures. The first few are of the hotel and Las Ramblas (http://community.webshots.com/album/79535034EOmOLe).

I stayed at the Hotel Continental last November so AC was not a problem. We found the Hotel to be clean, cheap and very friendly. They offer a continental breakfast. Location, location, location! We could walk out of our Hotel and be in the midst of all the happenings on Las Ramblas.

We had a room with a balcony that overlooked Las Ramblas. After an exhausting day sightseeing, we would sit on the balcony and watch the action on Las Ramblas.

I have just returned from a land tour of Germany last week. Most Americans don't realize airconditioning is Europe is a luxurary. When traveling to Spain in the months of July and August make sure to do your homework. Most Europeans eat late and spend the late evening hours out on a balcony where they can enjoy the late evening air. When the temperature cools very late into the evening thats when Europeans go to bed.

I stayed at Hotel Continental Placene last year in late May. I booked the room because my wife and I are in our 50's and I know the wife would want airconditioning (Cold Airconditioning). The hotel worked out very well. I have heard that Hotel Continental was having airconditioning installed. I have not had that confirmed this year but I think it has happened. I have also heard that the Hilton in Barcelona has a airconditioning system that is substandard.

Conclustion: Book your hotel in early May or late September and Air conditioning won't be a problem. Tim

I have just returned from a land tour of Germany last week. Tim

We are staying in Frankfurt on our return flight home. Do you have any hotel recommendations for downtown Frankfurt, in the Old Town section. We will only have a very short time to do a walking tour (only 4 hrs tops) so we want a place close to the major historical centre in order to get back to the airport for 10 am Sunday.

We enjoyed our stay at the Apsis Atrium Palace 2 years ago. It was a new hotel in an old building about a 5 minute walk from Place Catalunya. The room was not large, but among other things, it had very good air conditioning, a very lovely, well equipped bathroom an in-room safe, hard wood floors and a small refridgerator with free water and juice. In addition, the front desk staff was very helpful. They even gave our daughter a free room because their reservation personnel did not know that their handicap rooms are too small for a roll-away.

We stayed at the hotel last October, it is not the best hotel, but not the worst either. If you get a room overlooking Las Ramblas it is well worth it. The hotel is in a good location, everything is within walking distance. The rooms are small, but you get what you pay for. So if you are looking for a 5 star hotel, dont stay here, but otherwise its not that bad.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Palaceta, which is the newer and better sister to the Hotel Continental.

Yes, it's a three star hotel, but we really liked it alot. (we usually stay 4 or 5 star if we find a competitive rate) We took the room that is featured on the website, which has a little seperate sunroom attached. We peeked into some of the other rooms, and some looked not very desirable - small and dark. Stick to the ones near the front desk, which are larger and have good views.

It was July and we had airconditioning.

The room was pretty and the bathroom was large. The lounge area is just lovely and a nice gathering place at night for friends going on a cruise together.

Jane

We just returned from our cruise last night and stayed 3 nights at the hotel continental. They were just finishing up AC installation, so it should be up and running by now. It was cool at night, so all we needed was the fan. Honestly, for the amount of money we paid (80 Euros a night), it was wonderful! The breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The 24 hour buffet was great for a snack or water, juice, or coffee. Also, free internet access...that was a big plus after paying 50 cents a minute on the ship. Staff was extremely friendly and very helpful, they gave us discount coupons for the tourist bus around the city. I didn't see it as a packpacker hotel. My husband and I are young, mid 20's, but there was quite a mix of families and older couples as well. I have to admit though, the decor is terrible!! I would definitely stay there again, dh isn't so sure, but he works for a Ritz Carlton here in the US (which is where our last few vacations have been), so you really can't compare standards there ;) . I'd be glad to go into more detail if you have specific questions.

(This is for Golden Princess53)

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Frankfurt on this trip but I do have some very good suggestions for you. When I fly back to the states I make it a rule to stay as close to the Airport the night before we leave. This will take any stress of the possiblity of missing any flights. I think there are two things you can do.

1. On your Saturday night stay check out the Holiday Inn Express near the Frankfurt Airport. The rooms are priced very reasonable and they have a suttle service to and from the airport. The rooms are clean and there is a free morning breakfast. What you can do once you arrive at Frankfurt Main would be to take the local train from the Airport to downtown. I think it runs around 4 Euros. Tour the old town area for the day and then return to the Airport Saturday night. Just catch the shuttle to the hotel and the next morning you should be set. Just remember to let the hotel clert know you need resevations in the morning for the shuttle to the Airport.(5 Euros)

2. Here is another thing to try. I have not done this but it should work. Make a bid on a hotel in down town Frankfurt on Priceline. I think you can get a 4 star (Possibley the Marriott) for $70 to $95. If you win the bid just take the Airport train to downtown and check in. Make sure to purchase train tickets back to the Airport for early Sunday morning. This should work. Good luck Tim

Thank you all for your feedback. I think this is enough information for me to make a decision. We are only going to be at the hotel for 18 hours and I certainly don't want to be spending it all in the hotel and as long as its clean I am going to give it consideration as well as the Palacete. Our Cdn $ impacts the euro greatly and I really do want to enjoy my shore tours etc. I wish I had more time before and after the trip to really spend time in Europe, but I was fortunate enough to even get this time to go. This is a wonderful site full of helpful information; perhaps one day all our paths will cross sometime, somewhere, when you least expect it.

GoldenPrinces53

Make sure to try a pitcher of the Sangria in Barcelona and do try the Dunkel Beer in Frankfurt. Watch how you order beer in Germany...lots of Americans and Canadians order what is known as "Kinder Beer". Its beer for your children...there is no Alcohol content. Enjoy Europe. Tim

We just returned from our cruise last night and stayed 3 nights at the hotel continental. They were just finishing up AC installation, so it should be up and running by now. It was cool at night, so all we needed was the fan. Honestly, for the amount of money we paid (80 Euros a night), it was wonderful! The breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The 24 hour buffet was great for a snack or water, juice, or coffee. Also, free internet access...that was a big plus after paying 50 cents a minute on the ship. Staff was extremely friendly and very helpful, they gave us discount coupons for the tourist bus around the city. I didn't see it as a packpacker hotel. My husband and I are young, mid 20's, but there was quite a mix of families and older couples as well. I have to admit though, the decor is terrible!! I would definitely stay there again, dh isn't so sure, but he works for a Ritz Carlton here in the US (which is where our last few vacations have been), so you really can't compare standards there ;) . I'd be glad to go into more detail if you have specific questions.

Was your room facing las ramblas? I'm thinking of booking a room with this hotel for next summer and i'm not sure if I it's worth it. Opinions?

bosox04: No our room wasn't facing Las Ramblas. It did have a balcony, but it was on the back of the building, not right over Las Ramblas. Too me, it wasn't worth paying the extra money to be over Las Ramblas, as we weren't in the room too often anyway. Let me know if I can answer any more ?'s

Does anyone have an opinion between the Banys Orientals Hotel and the Hotel Atlantis? They seem comparably priced. I'm just trying to make a decision on a place to stay for our cruise out of Barcelona in September.

Thanks!

We stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Continental Palacete - when I attempted to book at the Continental in March, they were fully booked (their rate is 80-90 Euro) and offered us 2 nights at the sister hotel. At the Continental Palacete, we had a standard twin-bed room (120 Euros) and a queen-bed room (130 Euros) with no balcony and the view of the brick wall 4 feet from our window. However, the AC was splendid and the 24-hour buffet included hot food (paella and soup and egg fritatas for breakfast), fruit, candy, bread, cereals, milk, white wine, juices, beer, bottled water and more and was fantastic. They also had a "stand-up" free internet station. The rooms were small but the bathrooms were large. Storage space in the rooms consisted of a strange armoire built into the floor and plastic bins. There was also a 13" TV, safe, microwave and mini-fridge in our room. We thought the hotel was fine, especially for the price compared to other Barcelona hotels which seemed to start at $200 and up. The location was a block north of Placa Catalunya which is the start of Las Ramblas - we were able to walk to several sites. I would stay there again unless I could get Hotel Majestic for $130/night on Priceline. Again, we saved an incredible amount of money using the 24-hour buffet for breakfast and for evening snacks.

Bosox,

We had a room facing the Ramblas last year and enjoyed people watching from our balcony. As posters above mentioned, the AC should be ready now. You do get what you pay for but we very much enjoyed our stay in this very well located hotel.If you plan, like us, to spend most of your time exploring rather than hanging around the hotel, this is a pretty good deal in my view

Thanks for the reply. I emailed the Continental and they replied that the AC is up and running. From your responses I definetly will be staying with them pre-cruise next summer. I do think i'll pay the extra $20 a night for a view of placa catalunya and las ramblas. thanks.

Oh by the way has anybody visited "Tibidabo Barcelona's fun mouintain" and how did get there?

• 2 weeks later...

I am sitting in my room at the Hotel Continental right now using the free wifi internet access. (Our cruise leaves tomorrow!) I can assure you that this hotel is just fine - clean, friendly employees, great location, good price, etc. We are very happy we chose this hotel.

Linda

Hello Linda thanks for taking the time to check the board on your vacation time. Unfortunately, I won't be there until next summer. I am definately gonna book with Continental for my pre-cruise stay. Has the location of the hotel being on Placa Catalunya being convenient. What about Las Ramblas how was it? So many questions......:D Anyways have fun.

For those wanting a balcony, make sure you book well in advance. I booked a couple of months back for end of September and couldn't get one. Mind you there's a big festival in Barcelona the weekend our cruise leaves.

Frances

Archived