Bora Bora Snorkling, etc.

Dean

I would appreciate comments on the pros and cons on taking the PG excursion or a private company such as Reef Discovery for a snorkel excursion.

The same question about jet skis and scuba diving is an open item for us. We normally do not take the cruise excursions, but arrange for private companies on our trips, but this may be different.

In fact maybe this question shoud be about the entire cruse including all of the islands and all of the excursions.

We returned last week. For Bora Bora we used Reef Expeditions. They have new fast boats and take out no more than 8 people. They made 4 stops for snorkeling and circumnaviagated the entire lagoon. They have a spectacular trip and I highly recommend them. The ships excursion is in a larger boat and makes, I believe 2 or 3 stops. One stop that Reef Expeditions makes is right near the outer reef but still in the lagoon. It is great but only a small boat can get in there.

Reef Expeditions also made a quick stop in the middle of the lagoon where they knew there was some soft coral with a large number of clown fish. This was only a 5-10 minute stop but seeing the clown fish, if you have not seen them before, is really cool.

I did the dives with the ship as it is really convenient. You leave from the marina on the ship vs. taking the tender to shore to meet up with a private company (many use Top Dive). The PG dive team is great. Another reason I used them was because Jean-Michel Cousteau was on our cruise and I wanted to dive with him. Not really any different from diving with a fellow cruise passenger that I don't know but psychologically it was cool to be with Cousteau.

We returned last week. For Bora Bora we used Reef Expeditions. They have new fast boats and take out no more than 8 people. They made 4 stops for snorkeling and circumnaviagated the entire lagoon. They have a spectacular trip and I highly recommend them. The ships excursion is in a larger boat and makes, I believe 2 or 3 stops. One stop that Reef Expeditions makes is right near the outer reef but still in the lagoon. It is great but only a small boat can get in there.

Reef Expeditions also made a quick stop in the middle of the lagoon where they knew there was some soft coral with a large number of clown fish. This was only a 5-10 minute stop but seeing the clown fish, if you have not seen them before, is really cool.

I did the dives with the ship as it is really convenient. You leave from the marina on the ship vs. taking the tender to shore to meet up with a private company (many use Top Dive). The PG dive team is great. Another reason I used them was because Jean-Michel Cousteau was on our cruise and I wanted to dive with him. Not really any different from diving with a fellow cruise passenger that I don't know but psychologically it was cool to be with Cousteau.

We will have 2 days in Bora Bora, which day would you suggest for the Reef Expeditions snorkel tour? I am thinking of just doing the PG dives, mainly for convienence, however they all seem to be one tank dives. That would be fine as long as there is plenty to see (mainly a Manta Ray :) ). Any additional thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Archived