Sorry for repeat ? - Tipping in Franc's or US

Tiki_Man

I know I have read somewhere about tipping protocal but I can not find it, went back 3 pages.

Trying to get a handle of how many FP Franc's to bring. We are doing 3 private excursions but 2 of those take US so no worries. Not sure about Ato's tour? Also do the PG operators normally prefer a tip in Franc's or US? How about hotel staff and transfer folks for the day rooms? Any hints on exchange rate and a basic amount would be greatly appreciated. I know this has already been covered in another thread but I just can't find it. 10 day sailing in 2 weeks - WOOHOO!

Thanks

Mark

18 trips and I've never tipped once

However, as more Americans have done so over the last 10-15 years it is no longer taboo ........... darn :(

We Americans are good at bringing our culture to foreign lands and then pay for it .......

Keep in mind some places already charge a surcharge of around 4%, this was done by the government to force a tip to help offset employee benefits and retirement.

What French Polynesia's official tourism site states: "Tipping is not customary in Polynesian culture and is not expected. However, tipping is welcomed for exemplary service."

18 trips and I've never tipped once

However, As more Americans have done so over the last 10-15 years it is no longer taboo to do so ........... darn :(

We Americans are good at bringing our culture to foreign lands and then pay for it .......

Keep in mind some places already charge a surcharge of around 4%, this was done by the government to force a tip to help offset employee benefits and retirement.

Tiki

Thank you, I will try my best not to ruin it for others. Do you happen to remember if Ato accepts US or FP Franc's or credit card? I still have not heard back from him for a reservation confirmation.

Mark

Ato accepts US or FP Francs or Euros. I paid and tipped him in Euros this year as I had a bunch left over. No credit cards.

I am not American but I do tip if there is no service charge. Especially in the smaller islands people are not so wealthy and tips have always been welcomed. It is a special thank you in my mind.

If you like you could take a gift instead of a tip. I took Ato tupperware last year as I felt he could use them and have taken chocolates for the ship's crew the last few years. PG has a crew welfare fund should you wish to contribute something. I usually buy a few raffle tickets instead for the navigation chart.

TikiMan,

Did Ato respond at all?

Did you write him in French - Google translate is what I use.

When do you leave for your trip? Do you have 8 or more people on your tour?

If you give me all the details I will send him an email on your behalf. I did that for Benita and he then responded. He doesnt look at the computer that much and then sometimes he misses emails. I usually say my friend xyz will be coming on this day etc etc and please respond to him as he really wants to visit because I have told him its beautiful etc. That usually works. My email is miriamdcunhaatyahoodotca.

Miriam

TikiMan,

Did Ato respond at all?

Did you write him in French - Google translate is what I use.

When do you leave for your trip? Do you have 8 or more people on your tour?

If you give me all the details I will send him an email on your behalf. I did that for Benita and he then responded. He doesnt look at the computer that much and then sometimes he misses emails. I usually say my friend xyz will be coming on this day etc etc and please respond to him as he really wants to visit because I have told him its beautiful etc. That usually works. My email is miriamdcunhaatyahoodotca.

Miriam

Miriam, I did not respond in French (should have done that). It will be just my wife (Mary) going with a group from our Roll Call. I believe they have at least 8. I will be diving and she wanted to do this tour. If you could pass along to have him look for anything from Mark Judson in Atlanta. Just 1 person to join the group for Sept 2nd. Thank you

Mark

Mark

If there is a group from your roll call I suggest tht you ask them to include your wife when they confirm the tour.

I usually confirm the week before.

He won't reply to individual requests usually so best if the request comes from them.

I owe him a general email so I will also mention your wife and the tour.

Since time is short and I will be away on another cruise I suggest that mary go on the dock and join the tour if he doesn't respond. But, your best bet is or the hour organizer to write in French adding Mary on. Hope this helps.

Mark

I did get a couple of email responses from Ato confirming the tour on Fakarava and that he does not accept credit cards. I'm sure either US$ or XPF would be fine. PG told me that most places accept $ and that most also accept credit cards. That said, she also told me that there are ATMs available in most places, at which I was surprised. I'll probably bring some $ and maybe also hit the first ATM I see for XPF.

Bill

Archived