Carry on alcohol - can you??

mikayla73

I am a first time cruiser and I have been reading a lot on line so I know what to expect and can have the most fun during the cruise. I am sure I will be posting frequently as I have til Nov before the cruise and lots of questions!! :D So here goes another ... I have been reading about people carrying on their own alcohol. I have read about people putting it in cough medicine bottles, water bottles, and other people just putting it bottle and all in the suitcase. Even one guy who said he put an entire 24 pack of beer in a suit case :confused: . (Finally to the question ... :p ) Are you "allowed" to bring on your own alcohol (wine/rum/beer) on board the ship? If so, can you make your own drink and take it say to ... the pool deck? I am not talking about bringing your own bottle of Rum to dinner and mixing drinks at the table, but if you want to have a drink by the pool or on your balcony, it's all OK? I am cruinsing on Carnival Conquest.

Your allowed 1 bottle of wine or champagne. If you take that to the dining room they charge you a $10.00 corkage fee. If you have it yourself in your room-nothing. If you say put some Baccardi in a water bottle and have that in your room, just buy one of the Drinks of the Day and refill the cup with your own stuff as you go!:p

I think a lot of whether you'll be able to "carry" your own onboard will have to do with what port your leaving from. Seems, based on reviews, that in some locations the Port Authority is a little more strict.

That being said, base what you "might" bring on what you think you'll actually use. How often do you think you'd be making yourself a drink? Will you be making drinks for anyone else? Any cabin parties with friends? Those sorts of things.

Oh yeah, you can get bar glasses, with ice, at any of the bars. :D A couple clean on-the-rocks glasses for before dinner drinks most nights was great.

For the pool, either a DotD glass or a travel mug works great. Just no glass at the pool.

Okay...we were on the Conquest 4-24 thru 5-1. We brought a roller ice chest hthat held 50 cans of whatever. We filled the bottom with a case of beer, then sodas, then water. We checked it as a piece of our luggage. It was the 1st piece delivered to our room!!! Believe me we still spent plenty on booze while on board. It is nice to have a beer or cocktail (bacardi wrapped in bubble wrap in my suitcase) on the balcony while getting ready for dinner.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Just returning from San Juan, you are able to stock up at the duty free shop prior to boarding as long as it fits in your carryon. I guess it depends on your port.

I bought 12 packs of minis and placed them in my carry on. For the most part they are made of plastic and won't go off in the detectors. Besides they're great for mixing rum and cokes on the pool deck. Just don't ask the bartender to mix it for ya...:p

No problems-- just put it in your checked luggage. I've brought a case of beer, box of wine, bottle of vodka. For beer, I'd go find a bar that has a big beer special (like a 24 ouncer), buy one, then keep the glass for the duration of the cruise. Nice to carry 2 beers around at once.

We use a rolling cooler as our carry on. We pack beer in soda 12 pack boxes in our checked luggage. Once we are in our room we unpack the rolling cooler and fill it with beer. Then the steward keeps it iced for us.

As for the other question, about making your own drinks and taking them out of the cabin, of course! Nobody cares or says anything if you take your drinks from the cabin to anywhere on the ship. Our cabin steward even kept our cooler iced, and gave us one of the buckets they use on the pool deck for buckets of beer, so i took my own beers to the pool from the cabin.

Also had rum, so I made some nice drinks with their free fruit juices.

and we took a bottle of asti and 2 glasses from the cabin to the main show.

no problem.

enjoy, have fun.

Your allowed 1 bottle of wine or champagne. If you take that to the dining room they charge you a $10.00 corkage fee.

I take 2-3 bottles of wine in my carry-on. You're not limited to one, and I believe the website says "a bottle or two of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board at embarkation......" When I've take wine to the dining room, I've never been charged the corkage fee. Some are, some aren't. It's at the discretion of your waiter.

I think a lot of whether you'll be able to "carry" your own onboard will have to do with what port your leaving from. Seems, based on reviews, that in some locations the Port Authority is a little more strict.

Really has nothing to do with the port authority. Carnival sets the policy.;)

Okay, funny story.

Last year on the Destiny board a bunch of us are talking about bring our own onboard and many mentioned it wasn't a problem as long as it was in your carry-on. So one of the guys, traveling alone, meets up with some of the folks he met online. As they reach the duty free store, which is just inside the terminal entrance, he decides to stop. The nice couple he met took his carry-on through the security check for him, since he was still in the store as the line moved through. When he came out, the security guard told him he would have to confiscate it if he was going try and carry it through in the duty free bag. ;) Well since he didn't have anything else to put it in, he had to hand it over and wait til the end of the cruise. :(

He had a great time on his cruise anyway.

Mikala,

I just returned from the Conquest today and can tell you that you can bring whatever you want as long as it is checked. Do not hand carry anything. My group brought all kinds of booze. My drink was vodka and fruit juice (available 24hrs) from the buffet area. I used a large cup that I kept from Bourbon street. I brought this cup everywhere except for the dining room as a plastic cup in the dining room would be a bit tacky.

When you return to the ship from the ports of call there will be four steps.

1. Stick your S&S card into the machine - This tells them you are on board.

2. Place all you stuff through an airport type x-ray machine - They will see bottles here and tell you to leave them at the desk.

3. Walk through a metal detector - It is turned way down and I suspect a flat bottle hidden would have no troulble but there is a better way.

4. Leave you booze at the desk.

The people from step two and step four don't seem to talk to each other. Just walk right past the desk. We did this with 5 liters at Cozumel.

BTW - Our S&S was still big enough.

Ok.....I'm confused again! :o

Better to carry it on and risk confiscation....or better to pack it and risk damage? :eek:

I have always taken a couple of plastic "fifths" in our luggage and never had a problem. But I am now fond of a wine that I was hoping to take. :D I'm concened that between the airline and the cruise luggage handlers that the bottles of wine will break. So, I was planning to carry them on.

But, I do not want to carry them all the way to Miami and have them taken from me as I board.

Any suggestions...:confused:

Ok.....I'm confused again! :o

Better to carry it on and risk confiscation....or better to pack it and risk damage? :eek:

I have always taken a couple of plastic "fifths" in our luggage and never had a problem. But I am now fond of a wine that I was hoping to take. :D I'm concened that between the airline and the cruise luggage handlers that the bottles of wine will break. So, I was planning to carry them on.

But, I do not want to carry them all the way to Miami and have them taken from me as I board.

Any suggestions...:confused:

Dont be confused, its simple. WINE is allowed by Carnival, and can be carried on. it will NOT be confiscated. If you want to take beer or other liquor, THAT should be in the checked luggage. We took beer cans inside coke 12 pack boxes in the checked luggage and no problem.

I don't know why you're still confused. It's been explained that you can take your wine on in your carry-on. If you put it in your carry-on for the airline as well as the ship, no danger of breakage. Just pack it well in some bubblewrap.;)

Well, for those packing your alcohol, every ship is different. I've seen some get away with it and I've seen some who had it confiscated.... If you want to take the chance, go for it. :) Personally, it's not that big of a deal for me. Besides, I don't drink a lot of alcohol anyway.

Well, for those packing your alcohol, every ship is different. I've seen some get away with it and I've seen some who had it confiscated.... If you want to take the chance, go for it. :) Personally, it's not that big of a deal for me. Besides, I don't drink a lot of alcohol anyway.

Absolutely- Positively Correct. They are all different. We have walked on with bottles in our carry on, no problem. In our checked, no problem. Buttt... Friends of mine had their whole case of Smirnoff Ice confiscated in their Checked baggage. They had to go and claim it, and then pick it up after the cruise at the Pier. We just got back from the Valor and we goofed up. During the chaos checking our luggage at the pier, we grabbed the wrong carry ons! We got nabbed after x-ray. They DO see bottles. We had to give up a Grey Goose and a hand full of minis. He didn't find it all, but never offered for us to pick it up after the cruise either. He was nasty, and I had my kids 10 and 14 watching and getting upset, so we just said take the stuff, we just wanted to get on the ship by then. Princess allows anything you want to carry on. Best bet. Bubble wrap it in your checked baggage. Be willing to give it up if you have to. Take small bottles and spread them out. They only spot check.

Archived