bringing liquor onboard

dperry

I will be taking my 3rd Princess cruise this november on the coral princess. On previous princess cruises, I have always taken wine onboard without a problem. I have read that they will confiscate alcohol brought on board.

Is this a new, or recently enforced policy, or is it the policy of record, but not enforced.

Does anyone have recent experience?

There are GREAT posts on the top of this board for information exactly like this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=214933

Beer, wine, water and soda are not confiscated on Princess, YET! The above thread should have more info on this subject. Lots of very interesting Princess hints, ideas and policys listed there.

Have a great cruise.

Have you looked into purchasing the wine from Princess and having it delievered to your cabin? When you receive you "Pre-cruise documents" there will be information on how to order if you want to give it a try. We do this on our Princess cruises and I find the prices to be about the same as the liquor store. And this way you don't have the hassle of carrying it on. It is either there waiting for you in your cabin or shortly after you board. But if you do want to carry it on I don't think that they will confiscate it. Hope this helps.

In April we took wine onto the Island Princess. It was in plain sight and no one from Princess stopped or questioned us. We have never had a problem taking on wine.

My experience with prices is that Princess is more expensive than stores.......I live in CA and can buy a bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnary for about $8 at Costco. Buying it through Princess will run about $26/bottle. The Princess prices are fair if you compare them to buying wine in a restaurant. IMHO you can buy wine much cheaper at stores and carry it on to the ship.

Jamie

We were on the Coral Princess in April of this year. We had a "jock" or gym bag as well as two carry-ons on wheels and a big purse. The "jock" bag had a six pack of beer and at least 6 bottles of wine in it and nothing else hiding the booze. We put it right through the scanner and no problem. This was, of course, on the day of embarkation - not at a port. I have heard of people taking WHOLE cases of wine on - no problem.

We were on the Navigator right before the Coral and RCCL's prices for drinks and wine were WAY more than Princess. The same bottle of wine was $20 (Robert Mondavi's Cab. Sav.) on Princess and $36 on RCCL!!! Drinks of the day were $3.95 without the glass and $5.95 for glass on Princess. On RCCL there were $5.95 and $8.95 respectively. Quite a difference!!! We also took bottles of wine into the dining room (we got married while on the NOS and got many gifts of wine and champagne as well as the bottles we had - so our cabin looked like a liquor store!!). We were in personal choice dining, but ended up arranging to have the same waiter every night. We brought in OPENED bottles because even though they were purchased on the ship as gifts from our relatives - they still wanted to charge you the $10 or $12 corkage fee!! As long as they are opened - they will not charge you as you could have bought a bottle from the bar on the way to dinner. Just a tip!

Just off the CB week of July 23rd. We carried on, in my LL Bean Boat tote, a bottle of Crown Royal & Captain Morgan. Right thru security and the xray machine. Security layed the bag sideways so the bottle wouldn't collide and break. I think it depends on who is screening and what kind of mood they are in.

We just returned from my husband's 45th High School Reunion cruise to Alaska. As we were hosting the party suite, we gifted ourselves a bottle of scotch and a bottle of vodka, and brought a case of wine on board, together with a case of Perrier. Princess didn't care about the wine, but really wasn't prepared to help us deliver the wine and perrier to our suite. It all worked out in the end, but it confused their staff. The young security agent who actually did take the wine and Perrier to our room refused a tip. ;)

Thanks to all of you and your excellent advice, we had actually anticipated every need for our first cruise. Based on input from CC we took an electric teapot, tea, coffee bags, wine, Perrier, binoculars, and walkie-talkies--none of which we would have thought of without your most valued help.

We also took too many clothes, all on our own initiative. :D

If you want liquor it is cheaper to buy a bottle from Princess either by sending a gift, room service or picking it up at one of the bars. Prices are comparable or less than what you'd pay in the states. Wine is another story.

On other cruise lines I always smuggled on liquor but with Princess it is so much nicer to just walk down to the lobby bar and pick up a bottle. No hassle of smuggling and it is cheaper!

Scott

Archived