Avalon Dailies: Cote d'Azur to Paris

FuelScience

We just got back from Avalon's Rhone/Saone cruise, and I've scanned the dailies. If you click on the link below, they should come up. I always love it when someone posts these because it's an invaluable aide in planning port time, etc.

I got too busy having fun to continue posting while on the cruise, but I'll try to finish up my trip description next week.

When looking at the dailies, remember that river conditions and other factors may cause your cruise to look different, in other words, your mileage may vary! Let me know if you have problems with the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nz16ahW1fiaE9FVGtxbEpoWjA/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much !!!

Question about Beaune to Paris. What did you do for lunch? Did you eat on the train?

We picked up something to eat at the Beaune market and took it to the train. It was a fantastic Saturday market--right in the center of town where we toured the hospital. The cruise director suggested that we do that rather than get something at the Dijon train station. If your cruise is going to be ending on a Saturday, the market is a real treat!

:D

We just got back from Avalon's Rhone/Saone cruise, and I've scanned the dailies. If you click on the link below, they should come up. I always love it when someone posts these because it's an invaluable aide in planning port time, etc.

I got too busy having fun to continue posting while on the cruise, but I'll try to finish up my trip description next week.

When looking at the dailies, remember that river conditions and other factors may cause your cruise to look different, in other words, your mileage may vary! Let me know if you have problems with the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nz16ahW1fiaE9FVGtxbEpoWjA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks so much for posting these, and I'm glad you chose being busy on your cruise to posting here during your vacation. Look forward to reading the dailies and hearing more later. It will really help us plan for sure...hope you had an amazing time!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - thanks for the link! Do you have any recommendations for the excursions? We are taking the 6/26 cruise. Appreciate any tips!

Geri

We only did the Pont du Gard optional tour. DW broke her ankle in January, and she had been walking unassisted for only a week when we started the cruise, so we weren't able to do a lot of the excursions. We did enjoy the Pont du Gard. Our friends enjoyed the wine tastings and they said that the little town of Perouges was really nice.

I forgot to mention that in Tournon, you might consider skipping the walking tour and head across the river to the Valrhona chocolate shop. It's a short stop, and the walk is a little over a mile, so you should skip the ship's tour and just hit the shop (there's also a tour of the factory, but it gets so-so reviews, and you don't have time for it). There are SAMPLES galore of chocolate confections as well as chocolate disks with varying concentrations of cocoa, ranging from mild white chocolate to very strong dark chocolate.

The shop opened at 9:00 a.m., and the ship left at 10:15, so you should try to be there when the shop opens. That will give you 30-35 minutes to shop--depending on how fast you walk. My only regret was that we didn't have room in our luggage to take more chocolate home.

https://www.valrhona-chocolate.com/

We only did the Pont du Gard optional tour. DW broke her ankle in January, and she had been walking unassisted for only a week when we started the cruise, so we weren't able to do a lot of the excursions. We did enjoy the Pont du Gard. Our friends enjoyed the wine tastings and they said that the little town of Perouges was really nice.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that Pont du Gard is a great excursion and I would not miss it. In Tournon, we went on the included Avalon walking excursion and we were taken to Le Jardin d' Eden. The current owner is reclaiming these hillside gardens which were originally developed by nuns. The trail through the garden is steep and not an easy climb, but the views from the top looking down on the town and the river are, in my opinion, not to be missed.

I agree that Pont du Gard is a great excursion and I would not miss it. In Tournon, we went on the included Avalon walking excursion and we were taken to Le Jardin d' Eden. The current owner is reclaiming these hillside gardens which were originally developed by nuns. The trail through the garden is steep and not an easy climb, but the views from the top looking down on the town and the river are, in my opinion, not to be missed.

I'm not sure that this is part of the tour anymore with the short stay in Tournon. DW took the walking tour, and they didn't show them the garden or offer to take people up the hill. The walking tour started at 8:30 a.m., and the ship set sail at 10:15. The walking tour lasted about an hour. DW said that they walked around the town and went inside a church, but that was about it.