2 different drink packages for children based on age?

ds99jove

I'm looking at the swedish MSC site at drink packages, and they actually have 2 different AI drink packages for children, ages 3-11 and 12-20. The one for children aged 3-11 is alot cheaper... but it only includes soda, water and juice. No ice-cream, milkshakes, hot beverages, smoothies or anything else that the ages 12-20 can buy.

I called MSC and confirmed it was so. The MSC representative told me it did sound strange and that she couldn't explain the logic behind it. The younger children can't get ice-cream with their AI package? That's just plain.. mean!

I checked the US site and there's no mention of different age groups or a cheaper child package that doesn't contain ice cream etc. But then again I notice that that the package is named "MORE-FOR-LESS CLASSIC CHILD ALL-INCLUSIVE UNLIMITED DRINKS" with a note that it will be renamed summer 2017 to "All-Inclusive Classic Drink". So perhaps the US site isn't updated with the latest info?

Have any of you guys heard anything about this?

I'm looking at the swedish MSC site at drink packages, and they actually have 2 different AI drink packages for children, ages 3-11 and 12-20. The one for children aged 3-11 is alot cheaper... but it only includes soda, water and juice. No ice-cream, milkshakes, hot beverages, smoothies or anything else that the ages 12-20 can buy.

I called MSC and confirmed it was so. The MSC representative told me it did sound strange and that she couldn't explain the logic behind it. The younger children can't get ice-cream with their AI package? That's just plain.. mean!

I checked the US site and there's no mention of different age groups or a cheaper child package that doesn't contain ice cream etc. But then again I notice that that the package is named "MORE-FOR-LESS CLASSIC CHILD ALL-INCLUSIVE UNLIMITED DRINKS" with a note that it will be renamed summer 2017 to "All-Inclusive Classic Drink". So perhaps the US site isn't updated with the latest info?

Have any of you guys heard anything about this?

check out post #5 of this thread where the up-to-date packages are posted from the 2 current brochures

2017/2018 and 2018/2019

no mention of 2 child packages

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2526373

Pete

I think your MSC rep is confusing the mealtimes Restaurant package ( the old cheers package) with the all Inclusive package.

the mealtime one doesn't include ice cream; the all inclusive does

Pete

Thanks for the replies Skier52! However, I don't think she's not confusing it with the mealtime package. The package name is "ALL-INCLUSIVE SOFT DRINK PACKAGE - KIDS". It says this can be ordered by children aged 3-11. The other package is called "ALL-INCLUSIVE NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINK PACKAGE - KIDS" and can be ordered by anyone aged 12-20.

Google should be able to translate into english for you if you want to have a look:

https://www.msccruises.se/sv-se/Hantera-din-kryssning/Dryckespaket-All-Inclusive.aspx

It makes sort of sense that MSC might want to sell the drink packages at different prices depending on region, but this seems like they're selling different products depending on what region the buyer is in. I'm going to buy the Aurea experience and now I don't know what package my kids will get, if they'll be able to order ice cream or not (MSC representative says 'not'). Might be a small thing, but it's annoying to have this confusion over something that should be simple...

edit:

Here's a translated link

Interesting I'm in the UK. We're booked on Aurea but thought I'd look at what drinks packages were that you can book. I've only capture pics for the Children's packages (denoted by the C) Deluxe and All Inclusive. Bizzare that different ages apply. Base on these though ice creams, smoothies etc are included ( I'm assuming Aurea is the std all inclusive one ). 39d76ab0a5fb17bc51220defe2826a2e.jpg737c2e4defeb2822ab9cc92d5ada7884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting I'm in the UK. We're booked on Aurea but thought I'd look at what drinks packages were that you can book. I've only capture pics for the Children's packages (denoted by the C) Deluxe and All Inclusive. Bizzare that different ages apply. Base on these though ice creams, smoothies etc are included ( I'm assuming Aurea is the std all inclusive one ).

Aurea included package is the standard one: known as Classic (USD onboard) or Restaurant & Bar (Euro onboard) all-inclusive.

The reason for the difference in ages is that you must be 21+ to enjoy alcohol when sailing in the US but only 18+ when in Europe which is the R&B package that you highlighted. It seems MSC has cocked up in advising the 2 different ones on your booking.

They made an error on mine in that they are quoting me prices in US$ - something a staff member in the UK Office said I didn't get on the Ireland website! Where else would I go to check my booking? :rolleyes:

I'm going to buy the Aurea experience and now I don't know what package my kids will get, if they'll be able to order ice cream or not (MSC representative says 'not'). Might be a small thing, but it's annoying to have this confusion over something that should be simple...

If you book an Aurea cabin you should be getting the All-Inclusive Restaurant & Bar Drink Package (C - for child) included for the younger members of your family. This is for an age range of 3-17 and does include gelato. See Rossco's post above with the items that are included listed there.

Btw, this might be a bit off topic, but it is about drink packages.. or the absence of it. What can you drink if you dont buy a drink package or vouchers? On RCCL you can always get water ,lemonade or coffee for example. Does the same apply to MSC?

Btw, this might be a bit off topic, but it is about drink packages.. or the absence of it. What can you drink if you dont buy a drink package or vouchers? On RCCL you can always get water ,lemonade or coffee for example. Does the same apply to MSC?

Other packages available to me in Europe on the Meraviglia are:-

77ee5025c26e68a3abdb2238fe9212d1.jpg839a815d33be9a84197965d2053cc091.jpgd00a5e0fcf367a46c0a27c409208eb93.jpg

I think juices are available in buffet (breakfast only) and I will defer to Beamafar who has an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything MSC for what if anything else is free

So there's nothing free to drink at all? but I can certainly understand it since they're so much cheaper than rccl

I haven't sailed MSC yet but I can say with absolute certainty that there are free drinks available onboard.

Some of the information on that site is wrong.

I agree and it's one chaps attempt on his specific trip. But its another source of info and not all of it is wrong. Combine that with what youve got in the threads here and you'll have a pretty full and up to date picture. What are the free options Beamafar?

I agree and it's one chaps attempt on his specific trip. But its another source of info and not all of it is wrong. Combine that with what youve got in the threads here and you'll have a pretty full and up to date picture. What are the free options Beamafar?

Ross ................ I'm fars away from having "an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything MSC"! And this is one subject that I'm actually not au fait with. We always have a drinks package and so I've rarely had any need to access, or have knowledge of, the free drinks available.

What I can say is that tea, coffee and water are available 24/7 in the buffet. Juices (flavoured water more like) are only available at breakfast in the buffet. The waiters will serve free tea, coffee and juices in the MDR at breakfast too.

Water from the taps in your cabin is also potable. Maybe even comes from the same source as the water in the dispensers in the buffet.

Bytheway .................. Bon Voyage! So close now! Hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Edited by Beamafar

So there's nothing free to drink at all? but I can certainly understand it since they're so much cheaper than rccl

I forgot to mention that on 'Elegance' night (the one where you get to meet the captain) there are pre-dinner free drinks on offer - glasses of juice and prosecco are served by the waiters in the various bars around the ship. Also at the 'Welcome Back' party for anyone who's at Classic level or above in Voyagers Club. And, for those on Black Cards, again there are drinks (and nibbles) offered at the event.

I am not sure what ship you asking about, but when we sailed the Divina out of the US, the free drinks in the buffet included coffee, tea, milk, water, lemonade, and a couple of flavored waters - I remember kiwi strawberry and a mango something for flavors. At breakfast there were also juices available (in the buffet and dining room).

From what I have read here, I understand the European sailings are more restrictive on what is available for free.