Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Key West

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 10th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What do you wear in Florida in November?

I know it's a stupid question, but I'm serious!

Going to Ft. Lauderdale and Key West next week. Do Floridians follow Fall colors with shorts? Do they wear white pants? What do I bring??

Past Adventures
5/2002 -RCI-Splendour of the Seas -Mediterr.
10/2004 - NCL-Crown-New England/Canada
7/2004 - Celebrity-Century-Western Carrib.
8/2006 - RCI -Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
8/2007 - RCI - Jewel of the Seas - Baltic

Quote: "Grant me the senility to forget the people who are rude, the good fortune to run into the ones who are not, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Floridians wear tropical colors and summery clothes all year long. I say that with a big caveat. We all year residents of Florida do look forward to fall colors and lighter weight fall and winter clothing and do wear it. Light weight sweater sets, light knit slacks, lightest weight cords, light weight jackets. Light weight velvet for dress in the November, December, January evenings is acceptable.

Tourists on the coldest days here wear what I call summer clothes. They even go to the beach and wear bathing suits in weather I would never consider beach weather.

I love to wear dark and jewel colors and start to do so as early as October because it is so monotonous to wear summery attire all year every year. We South Floridians need a change. It can get a little chilly for us...what we call chilly, even as early as November. This year, so far, we haven't had a chilly day. Every year about this time I start to fret and worry that we will have a "failed winter" and never experience a brisk day. We NEED the change, believe me, and deserve it after fourteen months of hurricane hell.

Key West is usually among the warmest and most humid parts of Florida, but I have been downright cold there in December. Of all places in the U.S., Key West probably has the most "anything goes" attitude when it comes to clothing. If you want to dress in a summery manner, do so. No one will notice. If you want to dress in light weight fabrics in fall colors, do so. No one will notice or care. Key West is the very definition of casual clothing.

White is right all year long in South Florida, but so is black. It doesn't matter one bit what color shorts you wear. If there is a standard color it would be beige shorts, but I'd never hold that as a hard and fast rule. Are there any hard and fast Key West rules other than to kick back, relax and enjoy the "Northernmost city in the Caribbean"?

I just reread your question. Yes, you may wear white pants and shorts if you wish (or not, if you don't wish.) Have fun and I hope you like Key West as much as I do.

Old November 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much.

Past Adventures
5/2002 -RCI-Splendour of the Seas -Mediterr.
10/2004 - NCL-Crown-New England/Canada
7/2004 - Celebrity-Century-Western Carrib.
8/2006 - RCI -Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
8/2007 - RCI - Jewel of the Seas - Baltic

Quote: "Grant me the senility to forget the people who are rude, the good fortune to run into the ones who are not, and the eyesight to tell the difference."