Hula Show in Honolulu

Cruise Arizona

I just wanted to post how much I enjoyed the "Hawaiian Folkloric Show" in Honolulu, presented by Halau Hula Olana, Living Hula School.

I am 99% sure that I have seen this Hula school perform on the the Discovery Channel, Discovery HD Theater, and the Travel Channel.

They were mostly girls ages 7-14, all with beautiful smiles and expressions. The did both traditional accapella hulas and modern ones to songs like Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride. In contrast to other Hula schools I've heard discussed onthe boards they were very modestly dressed in cotton high collard shirts and smocked cotton skirts or Mumu type dresses.

Thier director is also the hostess and lead singer for the evening.

I really enjoyed seeing these beautiful girls share thier culture with us. And as far as style and execution, they were completely professional in thier quality.

This was one of the highlights for me on my Hawaiian cruise.

When we were on our Hawaiian Cruise in 2002 we left out of Honolulu and they had on board for the evening show a performance by the top hula school for children. (The ship didn't sail till midnight so no worry about getting the kids back home.) I remember it as being the best version of the hula I had ever seen.

I forgot to mention that this was onboard in the Celelbrity Theatre, 6:45 and 8:15.

It was really beautiful. I had been hoping that they would bring Hawaiian Folkloric onboard just as they did a Mexican Folkloric Show in Acapuloco.

I've heard complaints about other Hula shows being inappropriate, with little girls in coconut bras. This however was not the case with this troup. Very Modest, and very very good hula. An my goodness, these children of Hawaii were so beautiful on top of that.

The show was really really great. Were you on the Nov 19th cruise, if so did you not think that the little girl who lost her flowers in one dance , and then skillfully picked them up and put them back on her head during the next dance was a real "trooper" as the theatre people say.

I hope that Celebrity will encourage more of these Folk shows on their ships, imagine a Flamenco while in Barcelona! I prefer Folk dancers to tacky " blue content joke " comedians but then I do not use the "f" word every three words, or talk about "body parts" to people I do not know. I heard from my table companions on Infinity, that one night people got up and left the show because the comedian was too "raunchy"

When we were on our Hawaiian Cruise in 2002 we left out of Honolulu and they had on board for the evening show a performance by the top hula school for children. (The ship didn't sail till midnight so no worry about getting the kids back home.) I remember it as being the best version of the hula I had ever seen.

We also saw this show in 2002. It was wonderful! We have another Hawaiian cruise in 3 weeks on Summit, and hopefully will get the opportunity to see another Hawaiian show.

I agree it makes the cruise so special...

Karyn

We were on the same cruise. The girl who picked up her lei was wonderful.

Remember that later she performed the hula to the last Queen of Hawaii's song about how she missed her garden, really her people.

The girl was probably about 12 or 14, and I had tearns in my eyes when she finished her special dance.

I rember that she held a hula dance title, Miss Merry Monarch Hula 2005, or something like that.

We will be on the Summit in Feb. and we are looking forward to seeing the performance. Do they perform in the theatre or up on deck? Also: does the Summit have a Luau Buffet, similar to what you get at one of the regular luaus?

Archived