Carnival Valor August 13-20

RD64

I have just returned from the Valor's Eastern Caribbean cruise and was very pleasantly surprised. Three years ago i swore that I would never go with Carnival again.

That being said I found the food, service, cabins, and staff in general to be excellent. I would definitely sail with them again.

The only weak points - it is a large ship, and the main pool area was like being in a fish bowl - people. people, people (over 3200 on board) constant movement and noise. After a few days of this we sought out the quiter areas, so there is something for everyone.

As there are so many people on board, you may notice an attractive starnger one day, and never see them again.

Entertainment - rather blah - comedians were excellent - but the song and dance numbers (in my opinion were very weak). Perhaps that is because we live in Toronto where we have access to world class shows.

If you have any specific questions, please ask....

:eek: I cannot believe that about the 80s show!! That is horrible! They had that on the Valor last time we went and everyone was clapping and cheering and laughing. I could hear it all the way in our room and we were on the bottom floor. It sounded like a lot of fun.

Things must have really changed!!!!:eek:

Just got off the Valor on the 20th and had a splendid time. Didn't see the 80's show but the comedians were nuts, absolutly hilarious!

Yes, the main pool (I believe they refer to it as the 'Dolphin' pool) was crowded as well as the hot tubs, I guess they are hot tubs, but I wouldn't step into one of those bubbleing caldrons of human soup if you paid me. They reminded me of cartoons of cannibals boiling captured missionaries alive. Oh, the humanity!!

Go to the Prometheus pool in the aft section behind 'Rosie's', much less crowded and the bar staff mixed much stronger drinks. Plus, this bar stays open until 4:00 AM. Give my regards to Mae and Mylene. Fabulous bartenders.

Formal nights on Eastern route this past week were Monday and Friday. Immigration was not bad at all. Grabbed a taxi at the dock in St. Thomas to Megan's Bay....BEAUTIFUL! Took water taxi at dock to St. Marteen for shopping....did not get off the ship in the Bahamas.

Glad you had a great cruise. Was immigration in St. Thomas as bad as everyone says? Were formal nights Monday and Friday?

Immagration was a breeze, the hold up was at the Gangway. We got through Immigration so quick we had to wait for the gangway to open. I got it line at 845.

The pool was crazy, too, too many people for such a small pool.

We thought the fool was more than acceptable. comedians, the 12am shows, were off the hook.

Ron Pass, the piano man, was excellent, would not miss.

Scarlett's was top notch service and food, well worth it.

Winston's was nice for a quite retreat if the band was not playing but if they were it was worth it.

Look for Kishore, server on th Lido deck pool and in Ivanhoe, great person and if you get to know him, you dont wait long for drinks.

Dont forget to goto the front decks on the bow, very quiet and no people. You can get there if you go all the way forward on ,6,7,8,9.

St. John is worth every minute, Nassau isnt, St. Marten is a great clean, exciting place, especialy if you like shopping or walking thru stores. Make sure visit the Yoda man, Nick Maley, he has a store with a ton of orginal sketches from his time working on Star Wars special effects. He took all the time we wanted to explain the work (He and my 9 year old had a detailed character conversation) We got a piece and he signed it for my son with some kind words and stood for a picture with my son.

The beach in downtown near the shops is small but real nice.

Crusie Director was ho, hummm.....NO highlights, information good.

Only problem we had was we never saw our room steward, my son didn thave bed sheets the first night and the show was mis-functioning for 3 days, but these were eventually fixed after 4 calls.

I think I was spoiled on Immagination and had really high expectations from a newer bigger ship.

Probably will try RCCL next but I certainly expect to Cruise Carnival again

Archived