Hairbraiding in Cococay

Kanebaby

Does anyone know if they have hairbraiding in Cococay, and if so, how much is it? Thanks all.

There is a hairbraiding station just past the straw market when you get off the tender. Several braiders were set up underneath umbrellas. Prices varied, depending on how many braids, type, etc. We took a pic of the sign that had the prices posted (we tipped on top of these prices, of course):

IMG_4385a.jpg.2f93648d56348f72f6c7d65311d89f12.jpg

Our braider's name was Shendeara...don't know if she's still there, but she was really sweet and seemed to really appreciate our business.

I would also add that their combs and brushes were kept in the blue disinfectant and containers that you see in barber shops. Everything looked very clean, and our braider's fingernails were cut short and looked very clean. She had all colors of beads available to pick from. She also had Neutrogena shampoo available if you wanted to go to the showers and shampoo your hair first after having been in salt water all day (a good idea if you're getting very many braids).

Our braids stayed up for nearly 3 weeks. Also, be sure and remember that after being braided, your hair has parts in it that it doesn't usually have, and the parts will get sunburned if you're not careful. :eek: Shendeara told us to spray a little sunblock across the top if we were out in the sun. The spray type of sunblock makes that really easy to do. (She sprayed us before leaving her station.)

Oh, be sure and note that it's cash only! No credit cards or sea pass.

Hope this helps--have a fabulous time! CocoCay is a lot of fun!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Only do this if you REALLY want to look like a tourist!!!!!

Thanks, forpaws! What a great idea that you took a picture!

CB.....If you have long hair....this is the only way to cruise!!!!

When on the islands....do as the islanders do!!

What happens on the cruise....stays on the cruise!!

Thanks again!!

Happy Cruising!

Both my daughters had their hair braided last fall on CocoCay. We had a very positive experience and the braids lasted for several weeks. They wanted to get braids in Nassau, but the vendors were very aggressive. They followed and yelled at us. It totally scared the girls. No one approached us at Coco Cay.

We are going to be in Cococay next week and the girls have already asked about braids!

Both my daughters had their hair braided last fall on CocoCay. We had a very positive experience and the braids lasted for several weeks. They wanted to get braids in Nassau, but the vendors were very aggressive. They followed and yelled at us. It totally scared the girls. No one approached us at Coco Cay.

We are going to be in Cococay next week and the girls have already asked about braids!

See if Shendeara is still there--you will love her (we were there in mid August so she might not be). She is a slim lady with shorter hair, and has a quiet nature and very professional. Her cell phone rang during the middle of the braiding and she totally ignored it until she was finished with us. We had the two girls' hair braided with a half head of braids, and then my friend and I got one braid just to be part of the fun with the girls, and Shendeara tried to refuse our extra money for the one braid each--we made her take it. She was very sweet.

Have a fabulous time!! :)

Thanks, forpaws! What a great idea that you took a picture!

CB.....If you have long hair....this is the only way to cruise!!!!

When on the islands....do as the islanders do!!

What happens on the cruise....stays on the cruise!!

Thanks again!!

Happy Cruising!

You're welcome..have a great time! And you're right..the girls loved the braids and didn't care if they looked like tourists. The cameras around our necks were already a dead giveaway that we were tourists--what's a few braids? And it was nice on formal night because we didn't have to worry about her hair. Just the tan lines with her strapless dress that we didn't think about until we got there. :rolleyes:

I actually took the picture for our scrapbook--I photo everything to make page titles, etc., never thinking that someone here might could use the info! :)

Archived